+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Haldex Pump Failure

Just got the "Service AWD System" and "Service Rear Axle" messages on my 2015 Holden Insignia VXR at 70,000km. Dealer diagnosed pump failure, which was replaced under warranty (I have 5 years thankfully). Couldn't get a straight answer out of them as to whether the filter was changed at the same time - service sheet says "GM22765779 PUMP KIT DIFF CLU" and the agent said the kit "probably" included a filter ...

This is the second failure I've had ... 13 months ago the clutch control module failed - see here.

No obvious problems with the car before or after the messages came up.
    Last edited by peterdw; 5th April 2019 at 11:27 PM.

The pump failure is usually caused by a blocked filter, and this in turn quickly leads to the failure of the haldex clutch pack. At least the system gave a service warning, so probably saved the haldex clutch pack, but if they didn't at least clean the old filter, the pump could fail again quite quickly. 70,000 km is pretty much in the fail window zone.

Once teh warranty runs out, get the hladex serviced every 30,000 km and tell the dealer you will want the old filter back as proof they completed it properly. Do that and the haldex will be much more reliable and just keep on going.

On this and VAG forums (the same haldex is used in VW and Audi) it's a regular topic of discussion as to why there is no recommended service interval for the haldex.

Does anyone know which Haldex would be in my 2015 model? Or is there a simple visual clue? I understand there are Gen IV and Gen V units and from googling it looks like the Gen V has the small white plastic filter which is attached to the end of the pump, whereas the Gen IV has a separate, larger black plastic filter. If mine is Gen V, then the filter would have come out with the pump and at least have been cleaned when moving across to the new pump, or possibly the pump kit does come with a new filter. If mine is Gen IV, then it's less likely it was cleaned or changed.

VXRed

Maybe you have to lift the rear end up and take some pictures, I'm pretty sure it's Gen 5
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXRed

That pump part number looks like a Gen 4...

Ha1

http://shop.stelzhamer.com/de/sonsti...1256757-119863
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXR newbie

I've had a look at my 2016 gen 5 and it looks exactly the same as the gen 4, I was going to service it but can't get an answer on what is needed filter wise.

VXR enough

I bought a filter kit last year but cant lay my hands on it to give you the part number , the fluid doesn't need to be bought from VX either

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Dean View Post
    I've had a look at my 2016 gen 5 and it looks exactly the same as the gen 4, I was going to service it but can't get an answer on what is needed filter wise.
    Erm, that seems to be an issue. Anything after 2014 face lift was supposed to be a Gen V, but nobody seem sure if they have a IV or a V. The filter and pump replacement for each is different. Here's the Gen IV https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/repl...er-andor-pump/ and here's a video of a Gen V replacement on a Volvo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZNC06Z7imQ

There's loads more stuff out there on both IV and V but it looks like the V doesn't have the dimpled stainless steel cover over the external control module
    Last edited by AJG; 8th April 2019 at 07:54 PM.

The text below the Volvo youtube video says it is a "4th generation". The pump in that video is parallel to the drive shaft.

On my Haldex, the pump is perpendicular to the drive shaft ... does that make it Gen V? Or are there different configurations of the generations??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast