+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    VXR newbie

Default Compression test failed - what to do?

Hi all, I've taken my astra into the garage today because the overheating warning light was coming on after 10 mins or driving, realised the coolant reservoir cap was missing a thread so wouldn't screw properly so fixed that and the warning light no longer comes on and no steam comes out!

When they were fitting it today though, they said that they did a compression test with some dye and it changed colour straight away and failed the compression test. The woman said I'm looking at between £1600-£1800 to get it sorted, any idea of things that could affect the compression?

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

They did what is called a sniff to check for exhaust gases in your coolant system basically compression is leaking into your coolant system
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXR newbie

Oh ok, is this going to be a bit issue to fix? I've only had the car 3 weeks.. not something I looked into when I was viewing it. Within a couple of drives all the coolant drains too.. any ideas ?

Quote Originally Posted by ryanosborne View Post
    Oh ok, is this going to be a bit issue to fix? I've only had the car 3 weeks.. not something I looked into when I was viewing it. Within a couple of drives all the coolant drains too.. any ideas ?

Yes unfortunately it needs a new headgasket

Your looking at somewhere between 500-1000 for the repair parts and labour

All depends on how severe it is, the cylinder head needs to sent to a machine shop for reconditioning this could cost anywhere from 50 to 500 depending on what needs doing to it

If your lucky it just needs a skim and clean

But then you need a timing belt kit with water pump and a cylinder head gasket kit for about 200

Then there is labour on top which will be around 300-500 depending on who does it

So worse case labour and parts your looking at around 1200, best case 700
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Did you buy it from a dealer or private sale?

If it was a dealer take it back you have 3 months warranty

Had to change the headgasket on mine a few weeks back for a different reason cost me the best part of 600 just in parts, labour didn't cost me anything as I did all the work myself but it's a massive job not for the faint hearted

Yeah thought it was head gasket, I suggested on chatroom it was but told him to post here as wasn't totally sure.

Man that sucks having car for only 3 weeks, I hope he can get it repaired or taken back. I'm sure on message room he said private seller

I'm guessing the seller knew if was ****** too.

Sent from my G8341 using Tapatalk
    Corsa D Vxracing Various bits & bobs done
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...rsa-D-VxRacing

Instagram Vxracing488

Quote Originally Posted by Arron D View Post
    Yeah thought it was head gasket, I suggested on chatroom it was but told him to post here as wasn't totally sure.

Man that sucks having car for only 3 weeks, I hope he can get it repaired or taken back. I'm sure on message room he said private seller

I'm guessing the seller knew if was ****** too.

Most likely Arron he probably stuck some steel seal in and punted it quickly

Do you know the OP or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Andyb712 View Post
    Most likely Arron he probably stuck some steel seal in and punted it quickly

Do you know the OP or something?
    No mate he posted in the chatroom section couple of days ago.

Sucks when seller does that to people

Especially when the buyer isn't to clued up on cars. Not sure if this guy is but would be ****** either way.

Paying for Maybe a tyre or so but not head gasket.

Not what you want when you just bought a new car, or at least new to him

Last edited by Arron D; 10th May 2019 at 08:33 PM.

Instagram Vxracing488

Chatroom section may only be available through tapatalk.. Not sure

Instagram Vxracing488

VXR newbie

Yeh.. bought it from a private seller probably about a month ago, it had a tiny oil leak which he suddenly got fixed overnight as that put me off it 100%, he was keen to drop the price when I asked too. I paid £4700 for it, 73k miles and it looked perfect for me.

Sounds bent af but I could cry always loved them, got the money and got one straight away, but just don't know what to do now. Feel like I'd be spending £1200 then there would still be issues..

Ahhhh I don't know.. thanks for the help all, appreciate it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast