+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Engine issues

VXRed

Red face Engine issues

Well guys back again.

Cut a long story short never had the car long enough to enjoy it, itís been in and out of garages for a number of issues. Had remap after remap to try to see if the maps were the issues and nope no joy there. Iíve even taken it back to standard to see if that makes a difference and nope the engine still has a surge feeling in lower gears more in town etc rather than on the open road.

But when you are driving you will accelerate and hear a boost or suction noise and then the car lunges/surges forward without much prompting. So basically rather than a gradual acceleration you find yourself surging forward.

I be literally spent a fortune now since buying it in total about £1800 on remap new actuator, new fuel injectors which are now out as itís back to standard map. Auto electrician and other bits.

Just want the car to drive right and I seem to be at a loss as knowing has any ideas as to why and my normal mechanic is no good as he just insults the car which annoys me as Iíve always been loyal, but Iím now thinking loyalty gets you knowhere.

Any help would be gratefully received

VXRed

Sorry to hear you having such problems pal. You've given a bit of a back story. Do another post in this thread literally 1) to whatever listing what you have had done and tested. May help to save people suggesting things already done.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by eve_maher View Post
    Sorry to hear you having such problems pal. You've given a bit of a back story. Do another post in this thread literally 1) to whatever listing what you have had done and tested. May help to save people suggesting things already done.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Sound advice and a good point.

So bought car from Watford end of Feb this year.

The car already had a 2 piece cat back Remus exhaust, airtec intercooler, and was running a stage 2 remap.

Once the car arrived I had a full service done (for my own piece of mind)

Upon the service being done found the car had no air filter. 🤔 one begins to ponder.

Replaced all filters,put air filter in (Thorney motorsport panel filter) new HGK plugs.

Then took the car to a tuner to see what fuel injectors it was running as Iíd been told and read it would need them for a stage 2 remap. So thatís what we did for safety reasons to preserve the engine we had it checked over.

Found the car to be running on standard injectors. So I bought new 395cc ones from Courtney.

Had these put in at the same time as the actuator and had the car remapped.

After remap it was making 214bhp and 318nm.

Car was ok for a few days, but then wouldnít start on a morning, so guess what backntonthe tuner it went as it seemed to be a fueling problem.

Once problem had been resolved by the tuner, I was informed that the cat had been melted 😡😤🤬 the joys of tuning.

So as the car was booked for MOT the following Tuesday had to cancel as knew it would fail emissions. I high tailed it through to Tony Banks exhausts and had a new sports cat put in.

Car was running ok was still surging like it had since day one but just took it as an issue that wasnít major and would look at it soon.

Car went for MOT. Guess what failed on emissions, so my regular mechanic had the car for a few days changed the lambda sensor the first one not the one near the cat itself. Took it back and it just failed on emissions by .01 on the lambda sensor itself. So at a end with retest etc advised to take back to the tuner and get him to see what he can do with the fuelling as it seemed to be running to lean. Odd as the tuner always runs his cars rich. Anyway back we went and after one hose changed told the car had passed like just 1.03 which is on the like. Not arguing a pass is a pass.

So had the car thinking now we are ok new mot open roads decent map on the car and feeling good.

Not for long. Few days after getting car back the car lost boost going up a hill with my Mrs she wasnít best pleased. So I took car out and thought it ran pretty well until a few days later when it did it with me. Back to the garage at which point the auto electrician got involved not sure why as I thought it was a boost issue hmm 🤔 again left pondering as to why.

So the guy takes a look basically tells me the map is crap and that itís same map as it came with just tweeted. Advised to take it back to standard and to go from there which we did and guess what still no better. My bill for just this last episode is already £760, and to say itís now a standard map I am not exactly impressed. Wouldnít mind so much if the issue with the surging had been fixed but it hasnít.

I know very long winded and you probably need a holiday after reading all that

What age and mileage is the car

With everything you have tried and tested and if there is no error codes present

It could possibly be a failed/failing inlet manifold gasket

The surging symptoms you describe and the fueling issues with the emissions, mot etc could be caused be a faulty inlet gasket

If it's sucking in unmetered air that will be leaning out your air fuel ratio

They just degrade over time due heat cycles etc and turn to mush like a soggy wet newspaper

It could just be one corner of it that's failed

You would be surprised just how flimsy inlet manifold gaskets are their really is nothing to them

For the cost of replacing it may be worth a try a lot of people upgrade them for a thermal gasket which are a lot more robust

Just my two cents for what it's worth

Think this is the right thermal gasket for your car

https://www.therma-tec.com/ourshop/p...KET-IM130.html
    Last edited by Andyb712; 4th June 2019 at 12:38 AM.
    2009 Astra H Vxr arden blue uprated gearbox endcase with bigger bearings, 3" cobra catback non res with toyosport 2.5 double decat, mtc crossover delete and tophat

Planning to go stage 3/3.5 eventually

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Andyb712 View Post
    What age and mileage is the car

With everything you have tried and tested and if there is no error codes present

It could possibly be a failed/failing inlet manifold gasket

The surging symptoms you describe and the fueling issues with the emissions, mot etc could be caused be a faulty inlet gasket

If it's sucking in unmetered air that will be leaning out your air fuel ratio

They just degrade over time due heat cycles etc and turn to mush like a soggy wet newspaper

It could just be one corner of it that's failed

You would be surprised just how flimsy inlet manifold gaskets are their really is nothing to them

For the cost of replacing it may be worth a try a lot of people upgrade them for a thermal gasket which are a lot more robust

Just my two cents for what it's worth

Think this is the right thermal gasket for your car

https://www.therma-tec.com/ourshop/p...KET-IM130.html
    The car is a 59 plate and has covered 52000 miles. Like you said they are quite flimsy and for what a replacement would cost it could well be worth the money just to cover all bases. Even if it isnít that Iíll still have piece of mind with a new gasket.

VXR enough

Who is the "tuner"?
    Corsa SRI Turbo (SOLD) and Facelift Corsa 1.4 SE (SOLD) - Now Ecoboost Fiesta 140 (Bluefinned, Eibachs, B8s), Suzuki GS500 and Kawasaki GPZ900 with ZZR Suspension

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by u33db View Post
    Who is the "tuner"?
    Was a local garage recommended by my usual mechanic for my vw T5. So went with them as they were the most local to me. Wish Iíd gone straight to RnD near York which were my preferred choice.

Cars now booked in with them on the 4th July so time will tell it canít come round soon enough and one way or another I will know more after the 4th

+ Reply to Thread