+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Front discs.

VXRed

Default Front discs.

Has anyone fitted non-floating discs to the front of their siggy? I was just wondering if there really is much benefit of spending £600 or more on the discs when you can get a decent pair of mtec discs that are non-floating for considerably less. Any thoughts peeps?

VXRacing ahead

Quote Originally Posted by Jambondrums View Post
    Has anyone fitted non-floating discs to the front of their siggy? I was just wondering if there really is much benefit of spending £600 or more on the discs when you can get a decent pair of mtec discs that are non-floating for considerably less. Any thoughts peeps?

autovaux were doing vauxhall bermbo disc and pads for around 450 pounds ,

VXRed blooded

Tarox are also doing non floating ones...

I guess the heat generated can be an issue on non-floating. Perhaps making them void at some point.

Otherwise I don't see other big showstopper as far as they are the same specs.

VXR enough

I reckon they will be just fine , most AMG and M power cars run non floating discs and they don't have issues

Iíve had a Leon Cupra, Insignia OPC, an M135i and now a Merc C43, so all some farily powerful cars. Yet The Siggy was the only car Iíve ever owned with floating discs - and the only car where I managed to warp the discs... so I donít give much for the heat management argument!

Also, mine clicked liked crazy when turning unless the holes were cleaned more or less weekly. So I wouldnít be too worried about going for a set of non-floating. To be honest, I only think they fitted them because it looks cool and sounds exotic!
    Last edited by Dalle1985; 6th July 2019 at 06:43 PM.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

VXRed blooded

Mtec decent are they? If you can't afford quality brakes for a high performance car its time to get rid. Ask Mtec who makes their blanks and what the discs are made of and if you want a throwback to the early days of Max power look at their so called technical information page which actually hold no technical information just crap that kids believe. Speak to a real engineering company and real brake experts from companies that actually race cars, you could ask Mtec what coefficient of friction their discs are but i doubt they would know as they wouldn't even know the composition of the discs.
    Just look at the hole patterns they use to gauge how little they know about producing brakes.
    Vectra VXR estate 07

VXRed

Theres a few people here in Australia that have done it, pointless importing brakes from Europe when we have them here for our own GM cars....

Look in here for some options:
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...or-170GBP-each)

Note that GM themselves dont even use "floating" disks for this exact brembo setup outside of Europe.......

The exact front brembo brake setup (355x32*4piston) was used in the following GM products:
    1. V8 Commodore SS (a downgraded/base version of the VXR8 in the UK)
    2. Pontiac G8 (see above, same car)
    3. Chev Camero V8 in the US (SS spec)
    4. Buick Regal GS (basically the insignia VXR with 2 litre turbo)

None of them used floating disks most are faster/more powerful than the Insignia.

The word here is "part bin special". I'm guessing Opel decided to put floating disks in the siggy because of the supply chain restriction in the EU rather than actual product design, given that the same brake setup when in the Made-in-US or Made-in-Australia applications got AcDelco non-floating disks while the Made-in-EU Saab NG 9-5 and the Insignia VXR got floating disks.

There's no problem using non-floating disks.

Hell, even the new generation Insignia VXR (3.6L v6 naturally aspirated, avail in US and Australia) uses a non-floating disk
    Last edited by fredoops; 8th July 2019 at 11:31 AM.
    ^^Australian^^
    Car 1: 2016 Insignia VXR (Mods: none installed)
    Car 2: 2003 Mk7 Accord 2.4 (Mods: plenty)

VXRed

Cheers for the info there chaps.
    With regards to Dog_book. I understand what you are saying, but the question wasn't whether I could afford to put quality discs on or not, it was rather, is it worth putting floating discs on. It is a well known fact that the standard Brembo discs are prone to warping. Therefore it seems pointless to me, to pay over £600 for a pair of front discs that are prone to warping. I was merely wondering if it is possible to put one piece discs on, as opposed to the 2 piece floating ones fitted as standard. And, I would like to point out, mtec discs are very good. I have used them on other cars and I know many car enthusiasts who use them and they generally perform better than standard Brembo, ebc or whatever..... They are worth checking out. Also, Brembo pads are not that great these days either, Ferodo, Mintex are good. Ebc are good, but do produce alot of dust.

VXRed blooded

Cheers for the info there chaps.
    With regards to Dog_book. I understand what you are saying, but the question wasn't whether I could afford to put quality discs on or not, it was rather, is it worth putting floating discs on. It is a well known fact that the standard Brembo discs are prone to warping. Therefore it seems pointless to me, to pay over £600 for a pair of front discs that are prone to warping. I was merely wondering if it is possible to put one piece discs on, as opposed to the 2 piece floating ones fitted as standard. And, I would like to point out, mtec discs are very good. I have used them on other cars and I know many car enthusiasts who use them and they generally perform better than standard Brembo, ebc or whatever..... They are worth checking out. Also, Brembo pads are not that great these days either, Ferodo, Mintex are good. Ebc are good, but do produce alot of dust.
    Bloody hell, if the standard discs are prone to warping they cannot be that great can they? You could try tuftriding the rotors as thats helps against warping, thing is we all have different views on what's good as we all have different expectations. Standard blanks from most places would be not great i'd assume as they are for the budget driver. Having never had this issue Ive never had the need to look into it, but id certainly look at the likes of Zimmermann and the proper sports Brembo discs for starters.

The tyre size i use ive had people with reasonably powerful cars say they are very good on a certain brand Landsail, ive had them before so can easily say they are not. And thats with a heavier less powerfull car at the time, so it goes on how you drive and what you expect. In the wet they were horrendous
    Vectra VXR estate 07

Quote Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
    Bloody hell, if the standard discs are prone to warping they cannot be that great can they? You could try tuftriding the rotors as thats helps against warping, thing is we all have different views on what's good as we all have different expectations. Standard blanks from most places would be not great i'd assume as they are for the budget driver. Having never had this issue Ive never had the need to look into it, but id certainly look at the likes of Zimmermann and the proper sports Brembo discs for starters.

The tyre size i use ive had people with reasonably powerful cars say they are very good on a certain brand Landsail, ive had them before so can easily say they are not. And thats with a heavier less powerfull car at the time, so it goes on how you drive and what you expect. In the wet they were horrendous
    As I wrote, I have had several fairly powerful cars and none of them had any issues with warping. This down to poor brakes. My guess would be, that rather than avoiding warping, the size of the brakes and the weight of the car means that the floating discs can’t manage the heat and as they are only connected through the bolts, the heat can’t dissipate through the hubs and into the wheels (which, being aluminium are pretty good heat sinks), therefore they overheat and warp. They are also very prone to fading, proving that they cannot handle the heat build up. Mine seized on me twice resulting in heavy shaking and every single dashboard light flashing - and this wasn’t under trackday conditions, but rather after driving at high speed on the autobahn and having to do a quick stop - single stop from 220 kph to around 60 and the brakes just seized on one side.

My C43 on the other hand will do the same with absolutely no hint of fading or brake issues. And rather than 600 quid, two new OEM discs (360 mm) can be bought for less than 300 - 150 if you go for the Brembo drilled discs. The Insignia VXR brakes are just not good enough for a car like this.
    2010 Insignia OPC Sports Tourer

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast