Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default flood water and air intake

Hi guys,

Another strange question... anyone ventured into flood water with their VXR?

The road down the road from us often has water 6-12 inches deep after heavy rain.

I've been desperately avoiding it after rain, but thought I'd ask others thoughts on how well the astra will cope? 6 inches must be safe, but with a turbo I'm paranoid!

Tonight I tried to find where the actual air intake feed come is, but with the winter darkness it was far too hard to tell. Is it in behind the front V grill?

Quote Originally Posted by pernod View Post
    Hi guys,

Another strange question... anyone ventured into flood water with their VXR?

The road down the road from us often has water 6-12 inches deep after heavy rain.

I've been desperately avoiding it after rain, but thought I'd ask others thoughts on how well the astra will cope? 6 inches must be safe, but with a turbo I'm paranoid!

Tonight I tried to find where the actual air intake feed come is, but with the winter darkness it was far too hard to tell. Is it in behind the front V grill?
    Scoop for air top of the grill half behind the body coloured bit (cleverly not GM)

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

I tell ya wat I want wat I really really want Heavenly's Avatar

Well i have to be honest no idea but my rep at work had to have a new bmw after doing this due to something or other..
    HeavenlyDetail
    Youtube Channel - HeavenlyDetail

Quote Originally Posted by R i c h a r d View Post
    Scoop for air top of the grill half behind the body coloured bit (cleverly not GM)
    Not sure I get it - do you mean behind the 'normally silver' V section (which is body coloured on VXR's)?

If so then it's probably high enough for low water... but I think I'll keep doing the long detour for anything else (I'm used to it as our other cars intake is also a little low)

VXR enough

Year its behind the bit thats normally silver.....so no air actually can get in nevermind water!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Jk View Post
    Year its behind the bit thats normally silver.....so no air actually can get in nevermind water!!!!
    Woah - thats well hidden! Hmmm, time for me to use the search button to find out about intake options then ;-). Thanks Ben!

Anyone actually had to take their car though water?

Just to let you know, I went through about 6-8 inches of water in my Zafira and it packed up the other side of the puddle!!
    I did all the right things, high revs and low speed as the end of my road always floods in heavy rain. All previous cars have gone through, no problem.

Vauxhall had it for about 7-10 days and said that the water was everywhere, turbo, exhaust, sump, just about everywhere!!

Luckily the insurance paid for the damage and all I had to pay was my £100 deposit

Quote Originally Posted by dave.tam View Post
    Just to let you know, I went through about 6-8 inches of water in my Zafira and it packed up the other side of the puddle!!
    I did all the right things, high revs and low speed as the end of my road always floods in heavy rain. All previous cars have gone through, no problem.

Vauxhall had it for about 7-10 days and said that the water was everywhere, turbo, exhaust, sump, just about everywhere!!

Luckily the insurance paid for the damage and all I had to pay was my £100 deposit
    Bugger!

I would have thought keeping the revs around 2.5-3K would be best as it's high enough not to stall, but low enough that the turbo isn't just going to suck up water like a vacuum? Never really thought about the best tactic for deep water in a turbo vs. N.A. before.

Me either I guess

Took my VXR through 2 floods on Friday night, was at least 6" deep, well up to the numberplate. Went through fine. 1st gear revs up no problem.

My washer bottle pump blew a fuse, but now fixed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast