Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: HOW TO change Spark plugs

Default HOW TO change Spark plugs

changed my spark plugs on saturday, so i thought i'd stick up how to do it ladies and gents.

1) remove the plastic cover that has vxr written on it on the top of the engine.
    2) there will be what looks like a shiny black plastic thing with 4 legs leading down into the engine, it has 2 star screws if i remember rightly, remove them and unplug the wires leading into it from the right hand side of the engine bay, when the screws are out slowly lift it out and place it to one side.
    3) look down into the four holes and you should see the top of your 4 spark plugs, remove them with the right size spanner off course very curefully guys.
    4) have your new plugs ready and raring to go. drop them in gently and tighten them down not over tight as they can strip the threads.
    5) put the black unit that was there back and dont forget to plug it back in.
    6) replace the plastic cover with the VXR on and start her up..

no pics again guys as when im busy i dont think to take pics, with this job its about taking your time and not being heavy handed.

hope this helps

whats the correct torque (as for screw on wheels is 110Nm) but dont know how much to screw the plugs ?
    MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
    Opel Corsa Slovakia nr.1, Bluefin st2, full Miltek, LSD, AP brakes, CS intercooler - Gone, But Not Forgotten
    Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
    VW Golf Mk. 6

tbh mate, i just kept going till the got pretty ******* tight..but not as tight as putting all your weight on it if you get me. its really hard to explain.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyvxr View Post
    tbh mate, i just kept going till the got pretty ******* tight..but not as tight as putting all your weight on it if you get me. its really hard to explain.
    aha ok, i just dont know if there is not some official torque for that ?
    MB C63 AMG & Performance Package
    Opel Corsa Slovakia nr.1, Bluefin st2, full Miltek, LSD, AP brakes, CS intercooler - Gone, But Not Forgotten
    Megane R.S. 250 CUP - Gone, But Not Forgotten
    VW Golf Mk. 6

VXR Baddest Boy

hand tight usually is enough

ye hand tight bay boys right mate.

just dont keep tightening because plugs are not made to take a lot of load, so they will just strip inside the engine and you dont want a plug stuck in your engine.

VXRed

Any chance someone can add pics detailing how to change spark plugs as I'm thinking of doing mine

AlexFi

25nm is the torque setting for spark plugs

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyVXR View Post
    4) have your new plugs ready and raring to go. drop them in gently and tighten them down not over tight as they can strip the threads.
    DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DROPPING THEM IN, PUT PLUG INTO SPARK PLUG SOCKET, THEN SLOWLY LOWER THEM DOWN INTO RECESS.....
    this really annoys me when someone thinks they are being helpful , serious damage could result in following their idots guide, if the insulation around the electrode had to break off and find its way down into the cylinder , all hell would break loose on here, best rule is if in doubt ask a PROFESSIONAL.

what a ****, my dad has been fixing cars for 50 years fella. and so has is mechanic who has worked for landrover, BMW, vauxhall, and porsche.

the drop down to the spark plug is very long. the tool your on about wouldnt work and was crap at locating the hole, no other way other than guiding the plug down that with your fingers and lowering the plug down and letting it drop into place.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast