Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: whining noise?

Banned

Default whining noise?

Hi, Ive had a noise which sounds like the front wheel bearings are naft for a while now, its been into vaux but they said they are fine and its tyre noise. I accepted this as they are cheap tyres. Recently i noticed i get a slight scraping noise when i turn right which now makes me think its the gearbox? To finish it off, today i noticed a quiet whining noise which sounds like its coming from the gearbox area! I can hear it in 5th the most but it does it in other gears too. Does this sound like the gearbox is ******? How much is a new gearbox if they void my warranty as im modded? If it is the gearbox thats on its way out, how long could it last until its totally feck3d? I drive like a grandad too! unless its the icy roads thats caused it with the traction controll having a d1ckyfit? Im only modded to around the same as a standard astra vxr and i thought they had the same gearbox as the corsa? So why is it its always the corsas gearbox that fails? Im going to end up selling this car as much as i like it!!! Or wrap it up in cotton wool!!

VXR's Monkey Rambo..............Ok then I am a sock monkey pretending to be Rambo! burge's Avatar

mine astra vxr had a noise like that it turned out to be the box the astra and corsa share the same m32 box i luckly got mine done on warrenty!!! is yours still in date?

What you looking at Stormtrooper!

Sounds like the bearings possibly if its whining like that. Have you mis-shifted or anything like that? I did that once in my CTR and messed up my Rod/Main bearings.

Possibly try changing the gearbox oil to pennzoil synchromesh gearbox fluid or similar if you can find any and It should keep the gearbox alive for a while. Obviously only a temporary solution but your best of having it checked by VXL but if they don't cover it under warrenty it will be ££££'s
    Last edited by Lawro; 16th February 2010 at 04:12 PM.

Banned

Yes mate its only an 08 plate, il just take it in to vaux and see what they have to say. Im really thinking of changing cars as much as i love this one, im gutted to be honest. Anyone no a good dealer thats replaced their gearbox when they are modded?

VXR's Monkey Rambo..............Ok then I am a sock monkey pretending to be Rambo! burge's Avatar

depends where you got it modded my was map and the dealer didnt even ask anything even had my exhaust on too. they where really good after i complained about them ******* me about, they said at 1st it was my flywheel so they changed it, the noise was still there, then they changed the clutch, noise still there so they finally got me a box on back order from vauxhall. Been great since no dramas where abouts are you mate?

Banned

Im near Wakefield in west yorks mate, you?

What you looking at Stormtrooper!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom83VXR View Post
    Yes mate its only an 08 plate, il just take it in to vaux and see what they have to say. Im really thinking of changing cars as much as i love this one, im gutted to be honest. Anyone no a good dealer thats replaced their gearbox when they are modded?
    Its all up to your dealer really mate. If they know the car is modded its highly unlikely that they will put there hand in there pocket for a new gearbox but you may get lucky.

Most garages will replace a gearbox for you but you are looking well over £1000+ for a new M32 box but you may well be able to have it refurbished which would save you some reddies.

Good luck mate

Im near Wakefield in west yorks mate, you?
    As lawro said its up to your dealer i was lucky mate. I am in stoke on trent when my local dealer there, Good luck pal let me know how you get on

Banned

I think i would take it to a local garage and ask them to fix it if vaux dont do it, save a few quid. Which if they dont i cant really blame them. It is annoying tho as the gearbox can cope with the astras power!!

I think i would take it to a local garage and ask them to fix it if vaux dont do it, save a few quid. Which if they dont i cant really blame them. It is annoying tho as the gearbox can cope with the astras power!!
    Its a design fault i think mate someone told me they made the internals out of plastic!!!! i know crap....... yeah take it your dealers first mate if they dont fix it then your mega unlucky. Good luck anyway.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast