Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cv-joint + drive shaft problem

VXR newbie

Default Cv-joint + drive shaft problem

Hallo,

First it was like this:
    it starts by shaking steering wheel between 60 - 80 MPH - drive in more than 80MPH without problem ... so everything looks like that the problem is somewhere between cv joint and drive shaft.

And after month:
    Now when I want to accelerate over 3000RPM nothing happens and car starts shaking, so it is definitely problem on drive shaft or joint...

My question is : Is there a possibility to replace it from astra GTC 147kW?
    Are they same?
    Or do I have to buy VXR/OPC wich is much more expensive

No warranty any more year 2006 but 18000 miles and remap...

I would say you will need the VXR part as the GTC will not be the same... have you been told its your drive shaft,, it may well be your clutch, is the clutch spongey? If it was your drive shaft the car would not move..

As for shaking between 60-80 that sounds like wheel balance or tracking is out.. maybe worth getting tracking and wheels balanced again...

I am pritty sure it cant be your drive shaft and nothing to do with your cv joint as this would only make a clicking noise whilst turn full lock...

If the car shakes it could be the rear wheels need balancing,steering wheel shake usually means the fronts need balancing.
    she's a nice un

19s,cruise control,s2000 aerial,carbon dipped crossover and tophat,s/s cap covers,adjustable rarb,courtenay silicone hoses,forge header tank,Powerflow zorst,3 gauge pillar pod,Smd conversion.

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by j12 mkw View Post
    If the car shakes it could be the rear wheels need balancing,steering wheel shake usually means the fronts need balancing.
    I Have the same problem with my zafira vxr. after many wheel balances & a full tyre / wheel change. The problem could still not be detected.Steering wheel shakes between 60 & 80mph . After a few months it got worse.It started to shake from side to side when going up hills with a full car. Got car in the air & lots of play from the inner cv joint drivers side. Going to vaux tomorrow to buy one. Hope they not too expensive

Usually when I have had trouble with cv joints it's always a clicking
    when the steering wheel is on full lock I personally never had vibrations or shaking at speed, I can understand changing wheels tyre's ETC
    as there is a lot that can affect the vibrations on the steering wheel.

VXRed blooded

drive shaft from vauxhall is nearly £500

So not cheap i also have same problems as above and i also get a knocking noise when turning steering wheel at slow speeds. Again lots of play in driveshaft on drivers side.

Quote Originally Posted by donovan2123 View Post
    drive shaft from vauxhall is nearly £500

So not cheap i also have same problems as above and i also get a knocking noise when turning steering wheel at slow speeds. Again lots of play in driveshaft on drivers side.
    This sounds like the drive shaft mate as I stated earlier.
    or to be more accurate the cv joint.
    not sure wether you can change just the cv joint anymore or is it a thing of the passed.
    Haven't had to find out owning a new car lol
    Last edited by Bronze; 27th July 2010 at 12:16 AM.

Are you VXR enough?

Had my cv joints replaced last week. £210 fitted at my mates garage.

The parts are about £70-£90.

I had vibration and clicking. Nit had chance to test speed and vibration but clicking gone

VXRed

Been to vauxhall to order the inner cv joint. You only get the cv joint not the full drive shaft. R.R.P. is £284.00 but with my discount they did it for £210.00 . I thought it was gona be £50.00
    I also checked & found that the cv joint on a vxr will only fit a vxr. Was kinda hoping that the sri diesel one would fit .

VXRed

Quote Originally Posted by Pymzola View Post
    Had my cv joints replaced last week. £210 fitted at my mates garage.

The parts are about £70-£90.

I had vibration and clicking. Nit had chance to test speed and vibration but clicking gone
    That a very low price . i guess you had aftermarket ones fitted & not vauxhall. As mine cost £210 with discount. i could not find aftermarket ones for the vxr

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast