X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Remap Question ..

i'm booked in with courtenay sports..

i have 3inch scorpian, CDTI Conversion, Large Tophat, on the day i am havin Cool stat and Irridums in ..

now if i have a full tank of v power in which is 99.. and they map it obious on stage 2..

in the future can i still use 97 ron even tho i am having a 99ron map??

just confusing me a little..

i know 95 is a no no, but if i was to run 97ron (super unleaded) will it be ok??

thanks in advance guys

Damo

Originally posted by Astra VXR Damo View Post
    i'm booked in with courtenay sports..

i have 3inch scorpian, CDTI Conversion, Large Tophat, on the day i am havin Cool stat and Irridums in ..

now if i have a full tank of v power in which is 99.. and they map it obious on stage 2..

in the future can i still use 97 ron even tho i am having a 99ron map??

just confusing me a little..

i know 95 is a no no, but if i was to run 97ron (super unleaded) will it be ok??

thanks in advance guys

Damo
    Not really related to you as different tuner but i have ran mine on 95 and 97 both full tanks and the 95 was for 3 weeks as i was stuck on an island and couldnt get any 99 till i got back home...

Not saying it will be fine for yours but mine was fine, i just took it easy and drove normally and didnt touch the sport button...

Comment

Best to get it mapped on the fuel that your going to be running all/most of the time. If it's only occasional that your going to run the lower ron fuel it will be fine, just wouldn't drive it WOT all the time
      sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Run it on the fuel its mapped for, you can running it on lower octane fuel but the ignition will be retarded to cope. If you feel like running it on 97 ron have it mapped with that fuel in the tank.

I know TMS disagreed with me/questioned my results but I logged mine running a 99 ron map on 97 ron and I was seeing ignition retard figures that were greater than they expected. I subsequently switched to a less aggressive 95 ron map and the retard figures learned by the ECU have been removed.
        | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

i put super unleaded in once cos there was no vpower..but it feels better on vpower

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
            Run it on the fuel its mapped for, you can running it on lower octane fuel but the ignition will be retarded to cope. If you feel like running it on 97 ron have it mapped with that fuel in the tank.

I know TMS disagreed with me/questioned my results but I logged mine running a 99 ron map on 97 ron and I was seeing ignition retard figures that were greater than they expected. I subsequently switched to a less aggressive 95 ron map and the retard figures learned by the ECU have been removed.
            so say for example if i top up with vpower ad get mapped on that, if i use super unleaded more then vpower will it do any damage??

and when you say the ignition will be retarded does that mean i will loose loads of power?? or will the map just suit to the fuel..

Comment

The reason you get a custom map is that it is customised to your cars hardware and fuel.

If you were to use different fuel from what it is mapped on you may aswell get a generic map as the ecu will adjust to the fuel by retarding the timing.

Retarding the ignition will loose some power but needs to be done to combat the fact the lower octane fuel is less resistant to detonation.

That said you can get a custom map and run it on a lower octane fuel but it sort of defeats the purpose to why you got a custom map written for your hardware and fuel as the ecu will basically rewrite the custom map with modified short and long term trims to adjust to the fuel so you are technically not running the same settings it will have left Courtenay with.

Comment

so say for example if i top up with vpower ad get mapped on that, if i use super unleaded more then vpower will it do any damage??

and when you say the ignition will be retarded does that mean i will loose loads of power?? or will the map just suit to the fuel..
                better power with high ocatne petrol

Comment

i have ran 95 a few times and never an issue. i try not to boot it thats all or leave sport off. touch wood its been perfect for years.

Comment

The reason you get a custom map is that it is customised to your cars hardware and fuel.

If you were to use different fuel from what it is mapped on you may aswell get a generic map as the ecu will adjust to the fuel by retarding the timing.

Retarding the ignition will loose some power but needs to be done to combat the fact the lower octane fuel is less resistant to detonation.

That said you can get a custom map and run it on a lower octane fuel but it sort of defeats the purpose to why you got a custom map written for your hardware and fuel as the ecu will basically rewrite the custom map with modified short and long term trims to adjust to the fuel so you are technically not running the same settings it will have left Courtenay with.

i see what your sayin mate but all i am botherd about is, if i map on vpower, then use 97ron i know the ecu will adjust to the fuel etc so rarther then being 285bhp id be 282bhp as an example..

but all am asking is when i am mapped on vpower and i want to use 97 ron, my engine isnt going to go bang is it?? its not a major issue is it??

ill never use 95ron only incase of an emgerancey but i wouldnt boot it anyway.. just mainly asking about 97ron

Comment

i see what your sayin mate but all i am botherd about is, if i map on vpower, then use 97ron i know the ecu will adjust to the fuel etc so rarther then being 285bhp id be 282bhp as an example..

but all am asking is when i am mapped on vpower and i want to use 97 ron, my engine isnt going to go bang is it?? its not a major issue is it??

ill never use 95ron only incase of an emgerancey but i wouldnt boot it anyway.. just mainly asking about 97ron

Yep the car will be fine the knock sensor will pickup the lower octane fuel and adjust the timing to suit. I would hazzard you could loose as much as 10bhp, it will take up to 3 full tanks of the higher octane fuel to get back to where you were. Ignition is retarded agressively but added in over a longer period of time again.

What you see in the logs is the ECU add in a degree of timing during WOT runs and assesses if its happy and then will add in more timing at a later point in time. Its agreed that this process takes a bit of time.

Comment

Originally posted by YTVXR View Post
                        i have ran 95 a few times and never an issue. i try not to boot it thats all or leave sport off. touch wood its been perfect for years.
                        As long as you boot it you'll be fine as you are not pushing the limits of the fuel driving easy its just on WOT where timing will be trimmed out to protect the engine.

Comment

Yep the car will be fine the knock sensor will pickup the lower octane fuel and adjust the timing to suit. I would hazzard you could loose as much as 10bhp, it will take up to 3 full tanks of the higher octane fuel to get back to where you were. Ignition is retarded agressively but added in over a longer period of time again.

What you see in the logs is the ECU add in a degree of timing during WOT runs and assesses if its happy and then will add in more timing at a later point in time. Its agreed that this process takes a bit of time.
                          sound mate as long as my engine wouldnt go ga boom lol..

would it be ok say if one day i have full tank of vpower, and then say if i am low on fuel some were and only option is 95 or super, and then after the 95 or 97 i put vpower back in, will it come back upto standards of the map..

as you sed it take 3 full tanks to adjust to the fueling etc..

Comment

sound mate as long as my engine wouldnt go ga boom lol..

would it be ok say if one day i have full tank of vpower, and then say if i am low on fuel some were and only option is 95 or super, and then after the 95 or 97 i put vpower back in, will it come back upto standards of the map..

as you sed it take 3 full tanks to adjust to the fueling etc..
                            Yep it will work its way back to where is started after soo many tanks. If you were confident you had all the lower octane fuel used up you could potentially disconnect the battery which will reset some of the trim settings and speed up the process but JT explained this is not as complete as resetting via the TECH2.

Comment

Yep it will work its way back to where is started after soo many tanks. If you were confident you had all the lower octane fuel used up you could potentially disconnect the battery which will reset some of the trim settings and speed up the process but JT explained this is not as complete as resetting via the TECH2.
                              nice one mate.. i no i keep going on but say i have vpower.. then i run out and put £20 or 95 or 97 and then when that runs out put in £50 of vpower..

will it stil take 3tanks to adjust??

Comment

Working...
                              X