This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for campers with astra's

I'm going away for 4 days this weekend camping. I've brought an electric coolbox which runs off of 12v or mains, unfortunately the campsite doesn't have electric hookups, so I'm going to have to resort to using the cars battery.

Question is, is this going to be a big no no and knacker the battery very quickly with the car off? Is there any kind of auto cut off that cuts the 12v socket out when the battery level is getting low, or is there a unit I can buy to do this?

Cheers all, And

There isn't such a thing that I have ever come across to do that. Don't think the battery will go down too fast do you know how many watts the cool box uses? The fail safe method is to park on a hill. :-)

Comment

When we go camping mate I run cool box off a jumper pack then recharge jumper back next day by running car engine for 20mins or so works well for us and I can't drink warm beer lol
      sigpic

Comment

Now your not a hardcore camper until you get a roofbox on the VXR. (I've done that) lol.

Comment

Haha, funnily enough I did look at roof boxes.

I like the idea of the jumper pack, that could work.
          Apparently the whole crappy site were going to is on a hill!

I think the box will draw about 40w from doing a quick search online. So with the vxr's battery can I work out how long it should last?

Cheers

Comment

I'm sure you will be able to find a device that plugs in that will cut power to the fridge if it gets too low. This isn't the best example but shows they exist

http://shop.voltelectronics.com.au/1...utoff-kit.html

edit: actually, here's something better http://www.waeco.com.au/products.asp...Id=78&catId=77
            Last edited by Nurburg608; 21 July 2010, 07:58 AM.
            sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Could always buy an Inverter from Maplins on London Rd matey, they are very useful !

They are 200watts and can last for several hrs uncharged
              sigpic

Comment

If you're running a 40w coolbox the battery will be incapable of starting the car in less than 10 hrs...
                Last edited by andrewt1971; 21 July 2010, 11:26 AM.

Comment

we used one of these coolbox on my ex wifes new MK3 Astra for 2 days camping a few years back, could not start the car after about 8 hours but the cool box stayed cold for the whole weekend. Took about 15 mins on the jump leads car to car until we could disconnect the jumpers cos the battery was dead flat. First and only time I ever seen a dead flat battery in my many years as a mechanic. Once recharged it was ok and was on the car a year ago when we used it for scrappage on a new Astra
                  sigpicAstra VXR Stage 2, 279.7bhp Petrol, 292.0 bhp LPG
                  Zafira 222 BHP LPG (stage 1), 295 Petrol (stage 3)

Need any stainless bolts for your rocker cover or anywhere else on your motor? PM for a good price

Comment

Working...
                  X