This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whirling Noise (video/sound clip)

Since I got the car I've been getting a whirling sound coming from the front end of the car. It could be normal but I get the feeling it's far to loud of a noise to be normal. It sounds like a hoover.

I've just done a video/sound clip using my mobile phone. The phone was positioned a little underside of the car near the drivers side front wheel. Towards the end of the clip I move the phone to the drivers side front wheel.

The car is 100% standard except from a turbo back Remus. You can hear the Remus and the engine but if you listen you can definitely hear a whirling/hoover noise pretty much throughout the whole video, especially near the end.

I just played the video to my girlfriend and even she pointed the noise out.

The car had been running for about 15 mins from stone cold when I just did this video. It seems to only do it when the outside temp is 15+ degrees.

Here's the clip;

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/6259/25072010004.mp4

I have no idea, could it be the cat? Gearbox? I also sometimes getting a loud chatter from the engine when I press the clutch in to change gear.

Any advice/help is appreciated.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Tecky; 26 July 2010, 01:00 AM.
    Lightning Silver Astra

Thats not normal mate, but i cant help you on what it is sorry

Comment

Cheers for the reply mate. Saying it's not normal does help as I know it means there is a problem.

Hopefully someone else will reply with more help.

Car is a 2008/57 plate with 21k miles. It's under Network Q warranty. I did take it to a VX dealer a month or so ago. They kept it for the morning and said they couldn't hear anything and it's fine. I'm pretty sure they just test drove it looking for the noise though, it doesn't need to be driven to hear it, just let it idle for 5-10 mins.
      Last edited by Tecky; 26 July 2010, 12:40 AM.
      Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Are you stationary mate? It doesnt sound like the gearbox to me, thats more of a whine.

Comment

Originally posted by TommiVXR View Post
          Are you stationary mate? It doesnt sound like the gearbox to me, thats more of a whine.
          Yeah mate the car was stationary in that vid. I can hear the noise even from inside the car when stopped in traffic or at lights etc.

The noise doesn't change whether the clutch is in or out.
          Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Im sure someone will no mate, It sounds like something blowing or sucking. Have you got a cone filter?? Im no mechanic bud but im sure you would have to be travelling to be able to hear the gearbox whine, i may be wrong tho. Are all your pipes connected round the back of the engine etc?

Comment

Car is 100% standard bar the Remus.

Maybe a pipe is off I'm not sure? I've looked about the Turkey noise on here and sometimes when I press the clutch in to change gear I get a loud chatter. I've looked at the pipes but it's hard to see whats going on at the back of the engine.

I have no fault codes showing.
              Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

If you're on about the high pitched noise mines done it for a long time, perhaps water or fuel pump being a bit noisey?

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

I guess you could call it that mate. Sounds like a whirling/hoover. What year/mileage is yours?
                  Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Anyone else have any ideas?
                    Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

possibly may be able to shed some light later....i cant see the vid for some reason but think i may be gettin the same noise!

only get it once the engine is warm and the warmer the louder?
                      seems to be from behind the belt on the driver side of engine?

sound familiar? im at the garage 2day hopefully stripping down to find out more!

Ross

Comment

I can't listen to a .mp4 at work, but what you have described sounds exactly like mine. Only when the engine is warm, and you can only hear it from the drivers side from wheel......which is where the water pump is. I just put it down to the pump being slightly noisy.

I'll be getting it replaced next year when I have the cam belt changed (mine is 2006) with 26k on the clock.

I've put the video on youtube for you:
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX9iZqB7J08

Now that I've actually listened to it, mine doesn't sound like that. Sorry.
                        Last edited by MattW; 26 July 2010, 11:59 AM.

Comment

i took my car into VX for the EXACT same problem. was getting that noise and tbh its very very annoying. they said it was the fuel pump but nothing wrong with it. Im gunna get the to change it under warrenty soon as its doing my head in

Comment

Originally posted by RMW-VXR View Post
                            possibly may be able to shed some light later....i cant see the vid for some reason but think i may be gettin the same noise!

only get it once the engine is warm and the warmer the louder?
                            seems to be from behind the belt on the driver side of engine?

sound familiar? im at the garage 2day hopefully stripping down to find out more!

Ross

Sounds like the exact same thing mate.

Let me know if you find what it is.

Bellamy, so it could be the fuel pump? I don't understand why it would only do it when warm if it's the fuel pump though?
                            Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

bump
                              Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Working...
                              X