This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Specific Re-map

I get different economy out of every tank I have and I know how I drive obviously has an effect but I'm not sure what fuel's best.

I heard people talking about what fuel their car's remapped for and I don't really understand. My Astra is remapped to Bluefin Stage 2 so it doesn't make a difference does it?

Also with the map off should I get better or worse fuel economy?

Thanks for any opinions
    Back to standard!

You will get better fuel economy with the following;

1. A remap

and/or

2. Ron99 fuel

As long as you dont take advantage of the extra performance (constantly)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
      You will get better fuel economy with the following;

1. A remap

and/or

2. Ron99 fuel

As long as you dont take advantage of the extra performance (constantly)
      Driving with it on all the time??

I use Ron99 all the time either Vpower or Tesco Ultimate or whatever it's called.
      Back to standard!

Comment

I get 32mpg on v-power on stock map, this is not really going slow either seems to use more fuel on tesco 99

Comment

Originally posted by Matt91 View Post
          Driving with it on all the time??

I use Ron99 all the time either Vpower or Tesco Ultimate or whatever it's called.

Remember when you are mapped with software that utilises the SB, whether you have it depressed or not - that remap is whats firing your car. The only thing the SB does is give you 100% throttle, it doesnt activate the remap as its already activated.

However following your line of thought, you may have better chance of getting better economy with it depressed, but I have found with SB depressed if you can cruise at 2.500 rpm on the motorway, you should get at least 40mpg if remapped. I know I've tried it ! ( sad I know, but it had to be done )
          sigpic

Comment

Think you need to do the testing yourself and see what your car likes best and for what purpose ie. More performance and economy ( No you cant have both )

In general terms I have found that using Tesco99, makes my car go crazy and always provides the best pub figures with this fuel in. I always think it drives slightly better ( more responsive, probably cos it burns hotter due to its additional methanol content), however if I want to penny pinch on a long run I would always use V-Power as my car seems to give better feuel economy figs using this fuel.

However, when you have 60+ bhp more at your disposal - fuel economy is always going to be difficult and possible one of the last things on your mind, especially if you are enjoying yourself
            sigpic

Comment

Think you need to do the testing yourself and see what your car likes best and for what purpose ie. More performance and economy ( No you cant have both )

In general terms I have found that using Tesco99, makes my car go crazy and always provides the best pub figures with this fuel in. I always think it drives slightly better ( more responsive, probably cos it burns hotter due to its additional methanol content), however if I want to penny pinch on a long run I would always use V-Power as my car seems to give better feuel economy figs using this fuel.

However, when you have 60+ bhp more at your disposal - fuel economy is always going to be difficult and possible one of the last things on your mind, especially if you are enjoying yourself
              (more responsive, probably cos it burns hotter due to its additional methanol content), does this ''burns hotter'' do any damage to the plugs or anything else ?
              sigpic

Comment

Actually better octane fuel means cylinder temperatures will be lower than with using lower octane fuel.
                | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

i use vpower always on remap and get 28mpg running 282bhp and that not all slow driving and its short journeys! am well impressed with it!

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
                    Actually better octane fuel means cylinder temperatures will be lower than with using lower octane fuel.
                    Does this include the tesco 99 with additional methanol ?
                    sigpic

Comment

Basically when you have to retard timing the exhaust gas temperature will rise. To be honest I don't think the bio ethanol will make much difference to the cylinder temperatures as the fuel will have the same resistance to detonation as other 99 ron fuels.

Comment

Basically when you have to retard timing the exhaust gas temperature will rise. To be honest I don't think the bio ethanol will make much difference to the cylinder temperatures as the fuel will have the same resistance to detonation as other 99 ron fuels.
                        Imo, when i use t99 i get more pops and bangs, and a more responsive throttle, compared to v-power.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've never used either so I can't comment, good old BP Ultimate 97 ron for me lol

Comment

As I understand it, any Octane99 fuel burns better & longer and produces more power than its lower octane counterparts, therefore theoretically requiring less fuel in the air/fuel mixture and as we all know more air in the mixture means it far more explosive !

The ethanol is a type of alcohol which burns hotter and this is ONLY added in Tesco99 at the current time, V-Power doesnt have it iirc. 5% is the max amount they are currently allowed to add, so in practice this could be why Tesco99 fuel, now known as Momentum99 is found to be provide a slight performance gain and offer slight improve in fuel economy if driven correctly to achieve such results
                            sigpic

Comment

As I understand it, any Octane99 fuel burns better & longer and produces more power than its lower octane counterparts, therefore theoretically requiring less fuel in the air/fuel mixture and as we all know more air in the mixture means it far more explosive !

The ethanol is a type of alcohol which burns hotter and this is ONLY added in Tesco99 at the current time, V-Power doesnt have it iirc. 5% is the max amount they are currently allowed to add, so in practice this could be why Tesco99 fuel, now known as Momentum99 is found to be provide a slight performance gain and offer slight improve in fuel economy if driven correctly to achieve such results

I only got 25-27mpg on the momentum stuff, also the car ran like a bag of crap, constantly holding back, and also sounded like it was pinking, changed to v power problem solved car runs great, and I now get 30-32mpg with the same style driving (if not faster) on v power, not that the mpg bothers me

Comment

Working...
                              X