This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stage 4 really worth it?

Ok been looking at stepping up and doing the stage 4 on my astra vxr this week been thinking about it non-stop but is it really worth it?

After searching the net tuners and reading other peoples comments is stage 4 worth it on a front wheel drive car?

My astra is already S3 at 302bhp and 330lbs now looking at the tuners site the cost of Stage 4 is around £4500 £4700 ect

Heres where im not sure, if your looking at bhp for your money they say on there sites that for this money you will see 320bhp -350bhp tops and 360 - 380lbs this doesnt seem great for the money spent,

I know the turbo cost around £1200 new but why if the car is S3 would you need £3000+ for parts already on it? i know i need a larger exhaust to allow the turbo to fit but why the cost so high?

and to those already at S4 was it worth the money?

You need to replace all the internals, pistons , con rods etc, plus there is work to be done on the head, then you need manifolds camshafts etc iirc
    sigpic

Arden Blue // Aero Pack // Blue Nappa leather Seats // Dual Zone Climate Control // Navi 600 // Rear Tints // Electric Folding Mirrors // Tire Pressure Monitoring System // Premium Lighting Pack // Rear Parking Sensors // Driving Assistance Pack

Comment

The cost is probably because they tear the engine in bits and fit rods and pistons as a minimum. Wouldn't susprise me if the oil pump isn't changed as a precaution, then you've got a full set of gaskets, miscellaneous fasteners, labour.. then you've got the turbo, manifold, down pipe/exhaust mods then dyno setup. It all adds up.

Comment

TBH Paul, with respect - I would be asking myself why I have only 302bhp with 330ftiibs @ Stage.3

and No it isnt worth it cost wise in those terms
        sigpic

Comment

It does seem alot but once you do the internal work (touching wood) it wont need doing again.

Comment

Or just get the turbo and mani and run on the standard stage 3 map and keep to low boost for about 330 bhp and do the rest later one, Do it in 2 stages.

Comment

I ask myself that everyday lol..........Give you an answer the coming weeks

Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
                TBH Paul, with respect - I would be asking myself why I have only 302bhp with 330ftiibs @ Stage.3

and No it isnt worth it cost wise in those terms
                What do you mean mate?

There is no info on changing rods pistons ect on there sites

Comment

Originally posted by Phatashki View Post
                  Or just get the turbo and mani and run on the standard stage 3 map and keep to low boost for about 330 bhp and do the rest later one, Do it in 2 stages.
                  Well regals do the Stage 3.5 but with out engine work i think, and if im not wrong smokinvxr (ian) had very good figures from that

Comment

Originally posted by Paulburks View Post
                    Well regals do the Stage 3.5 but with out engine work i think, and if im not wrong smokinvxr (ian) had very good figures from that
                    mines st3+ paul oe turbo, st3.5 is hybrid iirc

Comment

Originally posted by smokinvxr View Post
                      mines st3+ paul oe turbo
                      What is that mate? and what sort of figures gains did you see? pm me if you dont wish to put it on here.

What was the S3+

Comment

What do you mean mate?
                        I mean you seem to be down on power IMO

If I was you and you really wanted a Stge.4 Astra VXR, you would be better buying something like the one for sale on PH or px yours for that - surely ?
                        sigpic

Comment

What is that mate? and what sort of figures gains did you see? pm me if you dont wish to put it on here.

What was the S3+
                          st3 with eds inlet manifold, top hat etc 310/379 no lag

Comment

Originally posted by Phatashki View Post
                            Not quite sure wat stage it is called, but think thats the best way to go mate, Bet a little more umph but not a masshoosive hole in ya pocket, and then later down the line you want more, just gotta fork out the rods etc.

Aint the pistons already reliable to withstand stage 4 as they are already forged so no need to change them.

Comment

really? i thought S3 car that made 300bhp was very good as most S3 cars hit 290bhp

I would rather keep mine and up grade it to keep it my own but im just seeing why the cost is high, and peoples thoughts on the S4

Comment

Working...
                              X