This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uprated Discs and pads???

Ok its time to change the brakes, just wondered what other people reccomend other than the standard ones, Not too expesive but of a good standard, Thanks John.

2008 Arden Astra with a hint of Black

Hi John, i reckon that group buy for those K sport brakes looks like a bargain. i think there are a few extra sets available too for those that missed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Dab_vxr View Post
      Hi John, i reckon that group buy for those K sport brakes looks like a bargain. i think there are a few extra sets available too for those that missed out.
      +1 They seem very good quality for the money. My friend has some fitted to his Subaru and rates them very highly.

If your just looking for something even cheaper I would go with EBC Ultimax Discs with either Mintex or Ferodo pads and some braided lines. Thats the set up I am running and I am pretty chuffed with them for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKO1 View Post
        Ok its time to change the brakes, just wondered what other people reccomend other than the standard ones, Not too expesive but of a good standard, Thanks John.
        John, to really answer that question properly - ppl would need to know your budget for one and the level of braking you were expecting up and above stock brakes
        sigpic

Comment

well i wont have much to spend as i dont know whats happenin wi my job yet so cant afford to be spendin much till i know better. The standard brakes seem good enough but would just like to know how much better other brakes r compared to oe ones thats all, the ones i got are squeeling so thought change would be needed.

Comment

I have courts 16gb discs and fitting them seems to have made a big improvemt mate but i think they are pricy for what they are . still running standard pads though

Comment

i have courts 16 grove discs on the front and 8 groove on the rear with braided hoses all round and mintex pads and i have to say they are 100 times better than standard i no longer get brake fade
              STAGE 6 Courtenay intercooler, Quaife lsd, 3" exhaust, Percys tophat, gt28/68 hta, custom made parts, Whiteline rarb, DAP springs, Courtenay 16 grove discs, Mintex M1144 pads, stainless braided hoses, brake cooling ducts, 5.1 dot fluid, Insignia washer jets. over400bhp and 400f/lbs Courtenay tuned.

Comment

thanks for the replies folks, just getting a few ideas together at the mo.

Comment

well i wont have much to spend as i dont know whats happenin wi my job yet so cant afford to be spendin much till i know better. The standard brakes seem good enough but would just like to know how much better other brakes r compared to oe ones thats all, the ones i got are squeeling so thought change would be needed.

OK, that answers that one then

Other question, has your car ever had its brake fluid changed ???
                  sigpic

Comment

not since iv had it richard, why u ask???

Comment

not since iv had it richard, why u ask???
                      Well in your service book, it does actually say you need this doing every two years iirc as the efficiency of your brake system is so reliant on it.

Plus the way you were at the bottom of Holm Moss, you probably boiled the fluid anyways, if not on a previous jaunt.

VX Dealership/Masterfits actually check this for free as part of one their health checks with a service etc. They do this by checking its BP and can tell you if the fluid is actually capable of doing its job.

The difference can be unbelieveable, especially as I say if you have already boiled your BF.

The cost of replacement is fairly cheap as well (£ 50-100 tops ......dependant on quality/cost of fluid used and the labour cost - 1/2hr's labour charge )
                      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info richard, will be worth doing then, i dont get brake fade much, i know my front discs are shot at and have been since i got it, the car must have been braking too hard from new which totally wrecked the discs as yor meant to 'bed' the brakes in from new. Ill change the brakes and fluid as you have said and hopefull should be problem solved.

Comment

Forgot to add....chances are though if you have boiled your brake fluid... you may have cooked your pads at the sametime and they may need either deglazing if you are lucky or replacement if you are not

hth
                          sigpic

Comment

Ill be changing pads and discs as i dont believe in changing one and not the other. Bit of a pointless exercise if you ask me.

Comment

Thanks for the info richard, will be worth doing then, i dont get brake fade much, i know my front discs are shot at and have been since i got it, the car must have been braking too hard from new which totally wrecked the discs as yor meant to 'bed' the brakes in from new. Ill change the brakes and fluid as you have said and hopefull should be problem solved.
                              Ill be changing pads and discs as i dont believe in changing one and not the other. Bit of a pointless exercise if you ask me.
                              Given that your discs are totally shot as you say, I would totally agree with you.

Its usually the inner sides that get the hammer as the sole piston on the standard brakes is on that side, the other is a slider iirc

Give MattBibs a pm and ask for a price for genuine VX parts, you will be very surprised with his costings and you can then use that as your comparison if and when you dedice to look at uprated alternatives such as EBC, Tarox and the like !
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X