X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help please!!!!!!

Need your help people please,
    It sounds like I have a blowing exhaust basically! The weird thing is that the noise that sounds like a blown exhaust only happens between 2k-3k revs and only while driving ( not just free revving)

Had a flick through threads on here and cracked manifold came up alot so off came the heatshield and I can't see any cracks. Also checked entire exhaust for any blows and again, couldn't see anything.

The other weird bit I'm confused about is if I did have a cracked manifold/blown exhaust wouldn't I hear this noise throughout the whole rev range and on idle and not just between 2k-3k revs!?!?!?

Any ideas? I thought about getting an oil restrictor bolt as it's come up alot on here that they are recommended with a TB exhaust.

So help needed please.
    sigpic

Black Astra VXR, 19" Diamond Cut alloys, 3" Turbo back Scorpion exhaust

Funny thing you say what you have said.
    In last couple of days had the car with a spanner warning light come up.
    booked into the dealers had it looked at today and they told me that it was a lose/bad connection, they cleaned it and put it all back and cleared the warning light.
    Right to the point my car as standard without a stainless system has begain sounding quite nice [at the rev range you mentioned] plus my fuel comsumption has got worse or maybe I'm driving a little harder lol,
    but while they where looking at the car they noticed that the turbo hose pipe was soft and was semi colapsing so have order me a new one.

So could it be some thing in this arena

When you had the heat shield off I take it you ran the car looking for any signs of gases escaping from the manifold ??
    Last edited by Bronze; 3 August 2010, 03:30 PM.
    Would like to do more,

Milltek cat back, Whiteline RARB, Cruise Control, Light & Sight Pack, Parrot Blue Tooth Hands free Phone Connection & both rear fog lights working

Comment

Correct, the car was ticking over while I checked everywhere without burning my hands too much!

All I have on mine is exhaust and air box. Was thinking if going back to standard air box to see if noise goes too! Getting desperate now as it sounds horrible while accelerating.
      Thing is I don't want to take it to the dealers just yet if I can cure it myself.
      I would feel better in me if I could avoid dealer as it would give me more satisfaction.
      Just not very mechanically minded so I'm very confused!
      sigpic

Comment

i had simlar thing on my vectra 2-3k only when driving... it was the rear of the exhaust the back box had tiny hole in it could hardly see it, but after a while it went black there so new it was that.

check rear of your exhaust while someone reving it. run hand close to it see if you can feel it cuz might not be able to see it or feel it couldnt on mine till hole went black.
        or it could be lose at the join of back box to centre pipe, mine on astra did clip just had it. so now got a turbo back exhaust to replace it.
        but from my experince sounds like one your silencers have lil hole.

Comment

I have the non-res scorpion so that helps! Only one silencer to check. With you saying that it reminded me, my mate said it could be hitting the heatshield on the back as also when it was in the garage for some other warrenty work the technician said it was hitting this heatshield on start up. Could it be that!? As when accelerating the exhaust is going to vibrate so could it just be rattling on something? I hope so as that's an easy fix!
          sigpic

Comment

heat shield under the car? might just be touching it. if it heat shi. on manifold cheap enough to replace you need to find out if it coming from front of the car or rear, then you no where to start

Comment

Yeah I was told there's one at the back protecting the petrol tank iirc. I'm going straight to the back and check for tiny holes on silencer like you said and then to see if it's touching anything and then work forwards!
              I'll do that when I get home tonight after I steal my trolley jack and axle stands back from my mate!
              Cheers for the advice and any more suggestions always welcome!
              sigpic

Comment

ye while driving home see if you can hear where it coming from so when you get home you no where to start

Comment

Originally posted by razorvxr View Post
                  I have the non-res scorpion so that helps! Only one silencer to check. With you saying that it reminded me, my mate said it could be hitting the heatshield on the back as also when it was in the garage for some other warrenty work the technician said it was hitting this heatshield on start up. Could it be that!? As when accelerating the exhaust is going to vibrate so could it just be rattling on something? I hope so as that's an easy fix!
                  I would be most surprised if it is the heat shield as this will give you a totally different noise to a blowing exhaust system ??

You said you have a Scorpion exhaust fitted, did you fit it yourself ?
                  When you have the car up in the air get someone to blip the throttle
                  up to 3-4k or at the rev range you hear the blowing and check the joints on the exhaust, as if there is any play on the joints this will give you the noise you are experiencing maybe the brackets have worked them selves lose.
                  This is were they butt together not so much were they slide over each other but check them anyway.
                  As the exhaust will flex when the engine is worked.

HTH
                  Last edited by Bronze; 3 August 2010, 04:23 PM.
                  Would like to do more,

Milltek cat back, Whiteline RARB, Cruise Control, Light & Sight Pack, Parrot Blue Tooth Hands free Phone Connection & both rear fog lights working

Comment

I didn't fit it no. I'll check for knocking and I'll check the joins at the same time. I'll go from back to front as I'm weird! Gotta get it done by 8 though as top gear's on as I missed it Sunday!
                    sigpic

Comment

very common for all the aftermarkets to touch that rear heatshield mate! iv had mine do it once or twice when very hot does make a noise but only at certain revs!

hope thats your fix! nice and easy

Fully loaded flame red VXR! 19's,AFLs,IDS,rear sensors,bluetooth, cruise control,climate control,full leather,heated seats, sat nav,cooled glove box,de-badged,eibach sportlines,REMUS,insignia jets,oil restrictor,K&N filter,red fogs & boot strip,carbon window strips & door pillars, black front badge & rear diffuser,RARB,LSD,CS stage 2

Comment

Well that appears to have fixed it! Not certain yet but exhaust was touching two heatshields at the back. Just reshaped one of them and readjusted the other and tightened the bolt, went for a drive and didn't notice the noise. I'll come to a full conclusion tommorrow morning when the car is cold, but hopefully it's all sorted!
                        Maybe it wasn't a blown exhaust after all! Sure sounded like a blown exhaust!
                        sigpic

Comment

good good

Comment

yes this happends with the 3"

Comment

Still getting an oil restrictor bolt soon though!
                              Getting under car again tonight and moving the heatshields more! That noise ain't coming back!!!
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X