This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car gone in for gearbox diagnosis

Well I finally got round to getting her booked in. The car was making a rough bearing noise in 5th and 6th under light load, and also in 2nd whilst coasting. Also the gearstick moved backwards in 1st and 5th upon acceleration/taking up drive.
    It became apparent something was wrong when it started to whine in 1st and second when accelerating. So I took it in and its being diagnosed tomorrow.

I was told I had to pay if it turns out to be my fault - i.e stone damage cracked the casing and lost oil, however I know this isn't the case so should be fine.

How long does it usually take between end of diagnosis, and the completion of the job? I understand they need to order a gearbox etc.

Cheers for any info, just hope it comes away fine!

The M32 Boxes are shi**mate mine went over a yr ago on my Vixer,i heard a whining in 5th,6th and felt the grinding through the gearstick,it wouldve cost me nearly 2 grand for a new box as mine had come out of warranty,worst luck but i couldnt find a box ANYWHERE as these boxes are prone for being crap,i eventually got my whole drivetrain reconditioned and this was whilst my car was up in the air at MPG Middlewich,needless to say im a bit easier on her now hee hee

Comment

How old is your Motor mate and what mileage???

Comment

Yeah I agree mate can't believe how many threads ive seen on here and the astra diesel owners, I wouldn't mind but ive never ever ragged my car. Ive opened it up but I know the difference between spirited driving and lack of regard for mechanical sympathy. I have a mate who drives like a *** and his cars never break lol, sods law I guess!

Comment

Nov 2008 58 plate with just a tad over 30k, the noise in 6th started about 27k

Comment

jeez another one have to lets us know how you get on

Comment

i did see a car a few day old that turned into a 5 speed
              it was low on gearbox oil an it just killed 6th
              you could start the car in 6th no probs at all

they replaced the gearbox no probs at all
              the truth is out there
              part GSI part VXR
              tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Cool hope it just goes smoothly without any fuss

Comment

Update -

Gearbox off, stripped down, its ******!
                  Vx have OK'd it, new one on order for tomorrow, should be fitted tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Comment

Originally posted by -Andy M- View Post
                    Update -

Gearbox off, stripped down, its ******!
                    Vx have OK'd it, new one on order for tomorrow, should be fitted tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!
                    thats quick theres usually a long wait for a replacement box
                    sigpic
                    Originally posted by soosie
                    Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
                    Originally posted by soosie
                    Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

Originally posted by Cerberus View Post
                      thats quick theres usually a long wait for a replacement box
                      thats good news!

Comment

good news... lucky for some

Comment

hello peeps just wondering mine a 59plate done 10k n iv been having a whinning noise sounds like from near side. its gettin worse n worse is ths the gearbox problem? if soo iv got airbox conversion n exhaust. would this void the bearbox warrenty?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhysmcgill01 View Post
                            hello peeps just wondering mine a 59plate done 10k n iv been having a whinning noise sounds like from near side. its gettin worse n worse is ths the gearbox problem? if soo iv got airbox conversion n exhaust. would this void the bearbox warrenty?
                            yes sounds like it. is it in only certain gears?? and get louder higher the revs?
                            unless it warrenty proven ok exhaust cant remember which one remus prob. you will need to return it back to standard.

Comment

but shorly airbox conversion n exhaust wudnt break a gearbox :s... they must now how bad the M32 box's are

Comment

Working...
                              X