Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much damage does it take to rite off a 55 plate VXR Astra??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much damage does it take to rite off a 55 plate VXR Astra??

Hi,

How many people have been unfortunate enough to have crashed their car and then had it riten off as a result of the damage??

I had a autoglass van miss read the traffic lights last night and turn right across me, when i was doing 40 and about 15m away. I obviously hit him (not even Alcons can stop you that quick lol!!), and was wondering that because its five and a half years old are they likely to rite it off? And if they do where do i stand with regards to getting my mods off, as the wheels, brakes, exhaust and some engine bay are untouched!!

Anyone had any experience of this?
    I honestly couldn't believe i happened, 9 years ive survived driving without a scratch! Yesterday i wasn’t angry more i think about it the more it makes me mad. At least he owned up straight away! and i had loads of witnesses
    From this:

To this
    Last edited by jrichrd; 19 October 2010, 10:42 PM.

ouch glad ur ok but i reks they might right that off mate but am no expert, did he accept the blame

Comment

well defo not a rite off

Comment

it could be a rite off, depends if the chassis or anything has twisted, front crash panel looks smashed quite bad,

is the car away yet? if not strip off the bits you can, wind deflectors, mirror covers, front v grill
        Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

if its a rite off, you will get paid out and sometimes get the chance to buy it back for a small fee, but make sure you get paid out a decent amount as your brakes, exhaust, lsd are worth a fair few bob
          Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

I was unfortunate enough to have mine written off having only owned it 5 months. It was on a 08 plate. Luckily i had gap insurance so i got everything back.

When insurance companies decide whether to write off a car or not they have to examine if the cost to repair the car is economical or not (for themselves) usually if the cost to repair it (Including labour, parts,etc) is 60% or more of the value of the car it will get written off. It should also be noted that if they write the car off you will not be able to remove any bits from the car as once its written off it becomes the property of the insurance company. However as mentioned by someone else you might be able to buy it back off them.

Good luck
            Last edited by nellynell; 4 August 2010, 05:58 PM.
            Oh My god Nissan what have you done? You haven't created a machine
            You just made a MONSTER!!!!

Astra vxr 19's, cd70+cid+aux in, bluetooth, climate control, parking sensors. Retro fitted:- afls, headlamp washers, cruise control, check control, sight and light, folding mirrors, anti hi-jack, vx-racing edition full leathers, cid video interface, reversing camera

Comment

awww no hope your ok that looks nasty! hopefully it'll be ok and hope you get everything sort

Comment

Firstly - very sorry for you this has happened. I know exactly how you are feeling right now.

Did any of the airbags go off? This could affect the decision to write it off significantly.

Until it is in a bodyshop and stripped down it will be difficult to estimate. It doesn't look that bad but to a trained eye this type of impact will tell a story that for me to say would be guesswork so you are best to get it estimated asap. Parts are very expensive for these cars and the costs can soon mount up to that 60% insurance deemed market value mark for a car of this age. The fact that none of your mods have been damaged may work against you in terms of the value the insurance company will place on your vehicle ie they may treat it as standard oem.

If the chassis rails are okay and the sill and a pillar are okay you may get your baby back sooner than you think so don't despair! Stay positive. Even if it was deemed a total loss, you may have an option of cash in lieu of write off (Cat D) which would mean you receiving a sum of money to get it repaired. Then one MoT later and Bob's your uncle!

Good luck with it all - chin up chap!

Comment

sorry to hear that mate

Comment

Sorry to hear this mate.

YOu can usually buy the car off the insurance company for 10% of the final payout. So you could always keep it and strip the parts off if it was written off. Then sell interior engine etc etc.
                    Arden Astra VXR
                    Stage 2 - 289bhp Blueflame Exhaust & Remap

Comment

that damage looks virtually identical to the damage to my 1.6t sri when i had a smash in that. That was an 07 plate and they wrote that off. I'd probably strongly suggest it will most likely be written off. I was luckily enough to have retail price protection, so i got all the money back i payed for the car brand new.
                      W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
                      http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

Comment

Possibly fixable but unlikely, if the airbags went off. I'dexpect a right off, they're around £500-£1000 each normally depending on where they're located and how big they are.

Comment

This may be obvious to you but whatever you do DON't take anything off untill the insurance company have had it assessed. All it takes is for a trace of brake fluid or a loose bolt and before you know it the accident will be your fault because, in the insurance companys eyes, the car wasn't roadworthy at the time of the accident.

Comment

gutted for you mate, trust me i know exactly how your feeling! at least hes admitted liability already! i hope you get the end results you want dude

Comment

I would say a write off personally but it will be close, my friend has just been told his is a write off after a van crashed into it when it was parked and the only damage was the passenger side wing, door and quarter panel as well as 2 wheels and the mirror. Yours looks far worse than his.

Comment

Working...
                              X