Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Turbo.. How to double check actuator setting?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Turbo.. How to double check actuator setting?

Hello,

Some time ago my stealer changed the turbo under warranty.
    I asked about actuator setting for the new turbo but ha said that comes already set from GM, so then asked if he can double check if setting was correct but he said that had no the right person (or skill ?) to do it.
    So, what kind of tools is needed to check it ? In my country there is a hyper huge lack of skilled people on the dealer service dept, but there are a couple of companies that do turbo refurbishing and repair, some of them very good.
    Would they able to check the correct actuator setting ? How should be the procedure using the right tools so I can follow their procedure with my eyes to make sure they are doing it correctly ? Or my dealer was correct so the actuator always come right set from GM everytime is a new turbo ?

Thanks !!

Marc
    Last edited by FreshDriver; 6 August 2010, 07:22 AM.

Marc, your dealer is correct, they do come pre-set from the manufacturer. The way to check what the correct break off point is by using a tool called a mittyvac. This is a tool that connects to the actuator which you pump (creating air pressure). The break off point for a standard actuator is around 10 - 10.5 PSI IIRC. Mittyvacs are readily available from most Motor factors too.

Comment

haha unless your local dealers don't know how to use a mittyvac like mine, I was asked to do it myself lol
      sigpic

Comment

I assume you can change it by threading the rod in or out? Will this increase boost?

Im not intending on changing mine as its only a few days old, but I was wondering asd my mate has an RS Turbo that you can change the boost and it all seems connected into the actuator, so I assume it changes how much it opens?
        Arden Astra VXR
        Stage 2 - 289bhp Blueflame Exhaust & Remap

Comment

Originally posted by Georgy View Post
          I assume you can change it by threading the rod in or out? Will this increase boost?

Im not intending on changing mine as its only a few days old, but I was wondering asd my mate has an RS Turbo that you can change the boost and it all seems connected into the actuator, so I assume it changes how much it opens?
          Correct, but unless you know what you're doing, I wouldn't advise it! Ultimately the car's software controls boost & by playing with your rod/nuts , you can cause serious issues

Comment

Working...
          X