This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange Noise when Cold

I first noticed this noise back in January, and it only seems to do it when the engine is cold.

You can only really hear it when in idle, and you blip the throttle. I've got a video clip where you can clearly hear it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNcTZIDrk88

If you start the video at 2:37, you'll be able to hear it when the revs drop.

I've checked all the hoses, and all are nice and secure, it's boosting fine, and no fault codes.

Engine is standard, apart from pre-cat pipe, which was only done 3 weeks ago, and I first noticed it 8 months ago.

Driven to work in it this morning, and it was doing it when I first set off, and had stopped by the time I got to work (6 miles away).

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated, as I've still got warranty on the car.

EDIT: Also, found another thread which describes a sound in the exact circumstances as mine, and it doesn't sound like a turkey "gobbling"

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=99958
    Last edited by MattW; 6 August 2010, 09:54 AM. Reason: more info added

Just dropped the car off at VX for them to take a look at

Comment

Piston cooling nozzles perhaps?
      sigpic
      Originally posted by soosie
      Gosh Cerberus , yours is exceptionally long !
      Originally posted by soosie
      Gosh Cerberus , really, really HUGE !

Comment

That is what I thought. Will see what VX come back with. Don't mind paying for the hours labour if they say it's OK and documented on their system that it's been in.

Comment

Bloody useless Vauxhall. They've had the car since this morning, and just had a phone call to say they can't replicate the noise.

I asked them what they had done "we've been out in it, and we can't get it to make that noise".........despite me giving them all the information above to add to the job sheet, and that it ONLY does it when cold!

So they are keeping the car over the weekend, so they can try again Monday morning, when it's cold!

Comment

I have the same noise. I thought it was something to do with either the in bore oil sprayer (piston coolers) or it was the sound of the fuel pressure regulator? Dont all VXR's sound like this as a few i have seen do.

Comment

Well it's good that someone else has the same noise (or is it?? ;-) ). I'll wait and see what they say on Monday morning, but it's such a strange whining noise. I don't know anyone else with a VXR to compare either

Comment

Be sure to post details as if its something wrong with the car ill have to get mine sorted as its done it since picking it up and so has a girl i know with a Burg and another guy i know with a vxr.

Cheers mate.

Comment

I can almost guess what their response will be "we don't know what it is, please pay us £75 + VAT for the pleasure"

Comment

more like "we dont know what it is but our cheif mechanic wanted ur car to use at the weekend, that'll be £200+vat for storage."

as above let us know mate.

Comment

Don't worry, mileage has been recorded, I'll know if it's been driven more than required (shouldn't have needed driving anyway, as it should have been cold to check for the noise)

Comment

Is that your astra?? In the vid?

Comment

Yes mate, it's mine

Comment

another joke. apalling. there service is poor. they gave you a car to drive while its in. and i know not all mechanics would do it, but yes bet he drove it home and gave it a good beating

Comment

and how cant they hear that

Comment

Working...
                              X