This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gearbox oil, serviceable?

As title says can the gearbox oil be changed as part of a major service?

I cant get any clarification on this, I've read it doesn't need changing unless working on a gearbox but now I've just read it can be serviced!?

If anyone could give some clarification would be great!

Thanks

Chris

Fully loaded flame red VXR! 19's,AFLs,IDS,rear sensors,bluetooth, cruise control,climate control,full leather,heated seats, sat nav,cooled glove box,de-badged,eibach sportlines,REMUS,insignia jets,oil restrictor,K&N filter,red fogs & boot strip,carbon window strips & door pillars, black front badge & rear diffuser,RARB,LSD,CS stage 2

no its never changed as far as i know, but it can be changed if wanted.
    VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
    http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

As above, it's not on the service schedule, but you can have it changed if you want. I did for peace of mind.

Comment

Originally posted by MattW View Post
        As above, it's not on the service schedule, but you can have it changed if you want. I did for peace of mind.
        Is it a pain to do mate? What oil did you use to put back in it?

Fully loaded flame red VXR! 19's,AFLs,IDS,rear sensors,bluetooth, cruise control,climate control,full leather,heated seats, sat nav,cooled glove box,de-badged,eibach sportlines,REMUS,insignia jets,oil restrictor,K&N filter,red fogs & boot strip,carbon window strips & door pillars, black front badge & rear diffuser,RARB,LSD,CS stage 2

Comment

I paid someone to do it, but watched and it was really easy. There are 3 bolts in the box. A drain at the bottom, a filler at the top (you need to remove the battery tray for access) and an overflow in the middle (as soon as oil comes out the overflow, the correct amount is in..2.4L)

This is the oil I had put in mine:
          http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-981-fuch...ion-fluid.aspx

Comment

approx how much oil needed?? 1L or buy more??

Comment

2.4l
              2006 Astra VXR, Flame Red, 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70 + Aux in, Premium Speakers, CID, Bluetooth, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Sight & Light, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All retrofitted by me 14.17 @ 100 MPH PVS 2011

Comment

Cheers for the clarification Matt your a star mate!

Going to do it for peace of mind to! Was this the stuff recommended by the oil chap on here?

Comment

Yep, was recommended by them for the M32

Comment

IIRC they use power steering fluid from the factory?

I think somebody said that its Dextron 2 so you dont have to change it as the stuff they put in is Dextron 2.

I asked as I thought about getting it done, but you dont really need to change it (unless your cranking up the mileage)

Comment

maybe i wont then, im in 2 minds...

1) do it for peace of mind

2) leave something be thats working perfectly well!

Comment

Mine has just covered 27k miles, and I had it changed at 24k. The stuff I've got in gives a much smoother gear change.

Comment

but then it does need to be serviced as its oil so degrades compared to the standard stuff vxl use that doesnt need to be serviced???

Comment

I'll be getting mine done every 2 years anyway.

Comment

thats fair enough mate!

I only bought the car a few months back so looking to do a major service on it so i know its been done properly.

Im on 46k now but going to do:-

cambelt kit
                              water pump
                              oil
                              oil filter
                              plugs
                              probably brake fluid

and as were discussing i may or may not do the gearbox oil

Comment

Working...
                              X