This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGK iridium ix spark plugs killed my VXR

.WOW....my astra vxr hell.......was reading an bin told that iridium ix spark plugs were the best so i got a set of 4 off e-bay... i thort sortid £35 and yes 3days later i got em throu the post ..my locl auto shop put them in 4 me and off i went...one of my mate who,s got a astra VXR as well was up 4 a drive so manchester we went and that was were my life went out the window...on the motoway! wen my engine light came on......had turn round and go my mates auto shop...the NGK iridum plugs well 2 of em the ends had come off and tuck a nice chunk out of 1 of my valves...so no drivein 4 me 4 4weeks till its fixed ..the photos ar on my profile"icemanstan"....if u dont want this happen 2 u watch out...and check twice b4 u do what i did.
    Last edited by icemanstan; 19 August 2010, 05:15 PM.

Sorry to hear that but mentioning the speed on the motorway isnt exactly a good idea!
    sigpic

Black Astra VXR, 19" Diamond Cut alloys, 3" Turbo back Scorpion exhaust

Comment

Or posting it 3 times

North East England - Tech 2 diagnostics/ code clearing available, Cruise control switches supplied fitted and activated . PM me for details

Comment

i thought the iridiums werent recommended?
        Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

Sorry to hear of the problems your having mate.
          A very expensive lesson tho
          No pun intended I do feel for you,
          Also I think the speed you where doing was closer to 70 wasn't it ??
          Is there no redress as to the repair mate ?
          or are the plugs you used totally unsuitable ?
          Good luck
          Last edited by Bronze; 19 August 2010, 05:21 PM.
          Would like to do more,

Milltek cat back, Whiteline RARB, Cruise Control, Light & Sight Pack, Parrot Blue Tooth Hands free Phone Connection & both rear fog lights working

Comment

iridium ix not recommended y----its all over "total vauxhall" the june issue 2010...y what do u know about it! u got eney idear whats the best spark plug put in ???...my ecu has had the re-map was thinkin may b the engine was runnig 2 hot how the hell dus the spark plug end brake like that unless its over heated? wen i get my car back,am goin take it courtenay sport let them do there thing..

Comment

I use NGKs supplied by both Courtenay and Thorney on mine. I know a number of folks who use them without issue.

I can't remember the part no of the top of my head though.
              | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

NGK BKR6EIX The box part no in your album photo doesnt look promising...

Comment

dont most people reccomend using the oe plugs? even when running upto stage 3, just change them every year- 10k?
                  Quaife LSD . . Milltek/Powerflow Turbo back exhaust . . Custom Intercooler . . Percy 1.9 Cdti airbox . . Whiteline RARB . . Collins dump valve . . Courts enlarged top hat/power pipe . . Oil Breather Box . . cruise . . anti-hijack . . check control . . Blue SMD conversion . . wind deflectors . . opel numberplate surrounds . . pressed plates . .

Comment

Originally posted by icemanstan View Post
                    iridium ix not recommended y----its all over "total vauxhall" the june issue 2010...y what do u know about it! u got eney idear whats the best spark plug put in ???...my ecu has had the re-map was thinkin may b the engine was runnig 2 hot how the hell dus the spark plug end brake like that unless its over heated? wen i get my car back,am goin take it courtenay sport let them do there thing..
                    Plenty of people run the std plugs - some heavily modified cars in fact without issue, plenty have also run the same plugs as caused this without issue, can you be sure the local garage didn't damage the tips fitting them?

Astra

Comment

Ive just looked on Courts and TMS and they both have the same part no i just quoted the one in the photos has a completely different number.

Comment

I have sold many OE spark plugs to VXR owners now without any issues, modified or not. I haven't seen or heard any reviews to say there is a better product out there yet!

Sorry to hear your story, sounds like you have been very unlucky!

Comment

i have iridiums from courteny and have covered 5k no probs

Comment

Originally posted by CrYsB View Post
                            Ive just looked on Courts and TMS and they both have the same part no i just quoted the one in the photos has a completely different number.

http://ngksparkplugs.ecrater.com/p/2...idium-ix-spark

They seem to be for a Honda - not a VXR?

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Vxr Jase View Post
                              i have iridiums from courteny and have covered 5k no probs
                              Same. Touch wood. Ive had mine in longer than that though. Going to ask VX to put OE plugs back in though when I have my 3rd service in Nov.

Comment

Working...
                              X