Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gearbox nightmare!!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gearbox nightmare!!

    About a month ago had a whinning noise coming from my nurburgring gear box, not the sound you wanna hear when you have an ST up your ****.

    Ran the car for a few days too see if the noise was consistant and yes it was. Had the very same problem in my previous mini, i immediatley thought its the bearings gone!!

    Took it in to my mate working at vauxhalls at which point he confirmed, the bearings are ******.... luckily (so i thought) the car was under warrenty still and me mate said he would wack in another gearbox on a dodgey claim due to the car being modded.

    Well just my luck vauxhalls new policy is 'any car that needs warrenty work doing to it that costs over £1000.00 requires the ECU to be sent to Thorney to check it hasnt been mapped.' OBVIOUSLY MINE HAS!

    So i then took it out of vauxhalls and went on the route of finding somewhere to get a new one or the original refurbished.

    Long story short, had to fork out £750 to get the box refurbished, there goes my intercooler!!!!

    Be aware of this problem and new policy in vauxhalls!!!!! btw the box had only done 19,000 miles!!!

  • #2
    Exactly the same thing happened to someone I know. She has only done about 22k and was mapped, but unfortunately her Ecu did get sent off and vauxhall found that it has been previously mapped, so they made the warranty void.

    She took it to a local garage and had the diff bearings replaced, but this didn't fix the problem.

    She found a new gearbox on ebay for 400 quid, and got the same garage to fit it. The new box has been a nightmare as it would not get into 5th 6th or reverse for about 1000 miles, but it now seems to be driving ok and not whining. However she now has a 2 grand bill to foot for the local garage, so in this sense it is not worth mapping your car!
    Astra Edition #105
    Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

    Comment


    • #3
      boxes are poor on theses. dunno how some people with bigger turbos cope

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
        Exactly the same thing happened to someone I know. She has only done about 22k and was mapped, but unfortunately her Ecu did get sent off and vauxhall found that it has been previously mapped, so they made the warranty void.

        She took it to a local garage and had the diff bearings replaced, but this didn't fix the problem.

        She found a new gearbox on ebay for 400 quid, and got the same garage to fit it. The new box has been a nightmare as it would not get into 5th 6th or reverse for about 1000 miles, but it now seems to be driving ok and not whining. However she now has a 2 grand bill to foot for the local garage, so in this sense it is not worth mapping your car!
        jesus really!!! its ridiculous.... they should put a stronger box in there to cope with more power, at the end of the day i was only running roughly about 30 more bhp then standard, it should be able to cope with that!!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by beefycol View Post
          boxes are poor on theses. dunno how some people with bigger turbos cope
          they must have to strengthen them some how but i wouldnt have a clue how or where to start!!

          Comment


          • #6
            The sole reason I will never map my car or increase its power.

            Just had mine done and it cost VX 1600 quid under warranty, no ecu checking though!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jase1989 View Post
              jesus really!!! its ridiculous.... they should put a stronger box in there to cope with more power, at the end of the day i was only running roughly about 30 more bhp then standard, it should be able to cope with that!!
              Well to be honest mate I don't think the power makes a lot of difference. 30bhp isn't a lot more, you wouldn't expect it to melt the gearbox. But I have heard of a lot on here that have had gearbox issues at standard, astras and corsas. There was even talk of a gearbox recall at one point as so many were being done under warranty!

              So a word of advice don't bother trying to replace the diff bearings it won't fix the problem, you need a new box mate and it will take a few hundred miles to adjust and wear in to your car
              Astra Edition #105
              Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by -Andy M- View Post
                The sole reason I will never map my car or increase its power.

                Just had mine done and it cost VX 1600 quid under warranty, no ecu checking though!
                that's odd! You have a new gearbox then? Thought they cost about 3 grand? Which dealer did you go to just out of interest?
                Astra Edition #105
                Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

                Comment


                • #9
                  yeah i no, the bloke that refurbed my box gave it a 1 year gauentee tho even with the mods so at least i have a bit of reassurance now.

                  yea that is very odd..... how long ago did you have your box done Andy?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by L3E_A_X View Post
                    that's odd! You have a new gearbox then? Thought they cost about 3 grand? Which dealer did you go to just out of interest?
                    new boxes are about £1250 mate i think

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yep started making noises at 25k, whining at 32k so took it in.

                      Bolton VX checked service history, then took 2 days to remove and fit new one.
                      Im sure a box is only about 1200 quid?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by -Andy M- View Post
                        Yep started making noises at 25k, whining at 32k so took it in.

                        Bolton VX checked service history, then took 2 days to remove and fit new one.
                        Im sure a box is only about 1200 quid?
                        yeah i think there about £1250....... how long ago did u get ur box done mate?

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          exactly 2 weeks ago mate

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            We had a quote of about 3 grand from vauxhall lol. So you had a full refurb then jase? And has that stopped it whining? How much did that cost altogether if you don't mind me askin, was it 750 all in? And where did you get it done in the end?
                            Astra Edition #105
                            Courtenay Sport Stage 3|K04 Hybrid Turbo|Forge Intercooler|Collins Dump Valve|Courtenay Actuator and Top Hat|Crossover Delete with Panel Filter|Oil Restrictor Bolt|Cool Running Thermostat|DAP R's|KSport 8 pot Brakes|Remus|Quaife LSD|Mtech Short Shifter|RARB|Retrofit AFL's and Cruise Control|3 Gauge Conversion|Red and Blue SMD|Heko deflectors|Eonon Double Din

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by -Andy M- View Post
                              exactly 2 weeks ago mate
                              wow, wonder why they didnt send off the ECU!!!! dam vauxhalls lol

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X