X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Fluid

Hi peeps,

Need a bit of info. At the moment i have the standard Vauxhall brake fluid in. When i changed from my Alcons back over to the standard brakes whilst i await my K-Sports i lost some of the fluid in the transit so need to top this up. Once i have my K-Sports im going to bed them in on the standard fluid and then change the fluid. So i need to know the following:

1/ What is the standard brake fluid and where can i get it to top up what i have in at the moment.

2/ Suggestions on better brake fluid, possibly dot 5.1? Again where to buy it from and how much would i need for a full change.

Cheers

Jay

I can only answer one bit, but still...

I needed to buy 2 litres of brake fluid to cover the amount needed. And that's what regal told me so I'm guessing you need between like 1.4 and 2 litres..

I got the tarox fluid, so others may come
    In different sizes, as this came by the litre only when I bought it..

John

Comment

Don't mix your fluids, do a whole bleed

I'd go a dot 5.1 backwards compatible race fluid, regardless of the brakes. Not sure if you get the same fluids over there but im running TRW GP600 and love it. Anything similar should be fine.
      sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Nurburg608 View Post
        Don't mix your fluids, do a whole bleed

I'd go a dot 5.1 backwards compatible race fluid, regardless of the brakes. Not sure if you get the same fluids over there but im running TRW GP600 and love it. Anything similar should be fine.
        I wont be mixing mate.

Im going to get a litre top up for the fluid that comes in as standard, but need to know what fluid this is to replace what i have lost through changing the brakes twice.

Then i need recommendations on a better brake fluid, how much would be needed for a full change and where to get it from. The full change will be done when its serviced.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
          I wont be mixing mate.

Im going to get a litre top up for the fluid that comes in as standard, but need to know what fluid this is to replace what i have lost through changing the brakes twice.

Then i need recommendations on a better brake fluid, how much would be needed for a full change and where to get it from. The full change will be done when its serviced.
          Ah sorry, thought you were still running the same fluid as would have with the alcons.

Can't remember the OE spec but oilman would know.
          sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
            Hi peeps,

Need a bit of info. At the moment i have the standard Vauxhall brake fluid in. When i changed from my Alcons back over to the standard brakes whilst i await my K-Sports i lost some of the fluid in the transit so need to top this up. Once i have my K-Sports im going to bed them in on the standard fluid and then change the fluid. So i need to know the following:

1/ What is the standard brake fluid and where can i get it to top up what i have in at the moment.

2/ Suggestions on better brake fluid, possibly dot 5.1? Again where to buy it from and how much would i need for a full change.

Cheers

Jay
            do cross contaminate, go to vauxhall an get a small bottle of the break fluid for top ups.

then when you replace the breaks, replace the whole break fluid. no point in keeping old fluid to bed them in an then changing... you wont gain anything by doing this... may aswel put the new stuff in at the same time as you do breaks...

could try any of these

The new AP Racing PRF 660 has been developed for use in extreme high temperature racing conditions. Conforms to and exceeds FMVSS 116 DOT 4 and SAE J1703 and J1704.

AP Racing Formula DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid conforms to S.A.E. J1703 specifications and is ideal for High Performance Road Applications, Competition and Track Days.
            my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

place to get the stuff from

http://www.raceparts.co.uk/products/...up=Brake+fluid

Comment

ATE super blue seems to come very highly recommended and proabably what I will use in mine. But I intend to ask Ksport which brand they recommend with there kit.

How much is required as I was told 1l is enough? Do we need 2l then?
                Last edited by BasilD; 20 August 2010, 02:01 PM.

Comment

I've just replaced mine, it used approx 750ml. 1 litre container is plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by Dab_vxr View Post
                    I've just replaced mine, it used approx 750ml. 1 litre container is plenty.
                    Agree, I ltr bottle will do if replacing all the brake oil.

Comment

It depends on how much you bleed out before there are no bubbles. I used just over 1 litre.

Probably better to get two bottles, nothing worse than running out halfway through doing it

Comment

Originally posted by Mark_VXR View Post
                        It depends on how much you bleed out before there are no bubbles. I used just over 1 litre.

Probably better to get two bottles, nothing worse than running out halfway through doing it
                        very true

Comment

Hi Jay,,,
                          Why you removing your alcon set up for k-sport???

sorry a wee bit off topic,,,

Comment

Originally posted by BasilD View Post
                            ATE super blue seems to come very highly recommended and proabably what I will use in mine. But I intend to ask Ksport which brand they recommend with there kit.

How much is required as I was told 1l is enough? Do we need 2l then?
                            I have been using this stuff for years and all my friends use it
                            we had it in the rs6,zaffy gsi,
                            the truth is out there
                            part GSI part VXR
                            tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

AET super blue has cropped a few other times aswell.

So if i drained the entire system of brake fluid and put super blue in i would need no more than 2 litres?

Originally posted by abjnr View Post
                              Hi Jay,,,
                              Why you removing your alcon set up for k-sport???

sorry a wee bit off topic,,,
                              It made more sense to do this then what i was going to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X