This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squeaky brake help

Does anybody elses brakes squeak? We had new brake discs and pads fitted about 5 weeks ago and they have recently started squeaking.

Spoke to Bolton vx who said brakes of this composition are known to squeak and it could take up to 6k miles to bed in - wouldn't they need changing by then!?

Toni

Mine did that after 2 trips to the dealer they took them out and copper greased the pads - no more squeeks

Comment

Pads should last a lot longer than 6k - how many miles did your last set do?

Astra

Comment

Bit of copper grease works wonders
        | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
          Pads should last a lot longer than 6k - how many miles did your last set do?
          Doubt it with the way Toni drives...always riding the brakes haha. Not sure how many miles the last pads lasted as we only had it two weeks then made VX change them.

Chris.

Comment

Originally posted by CrYsB View Post
            Mine did that after 2 trips to the dealer they took them out and copper greased the pads - no more squeeks
            Is this something I could do myself? Don't really want to give Bolton VX any more custom as they're a bunch of arrogant in-breds!

Chris.

Comment

Ive had the same pads since i got the car and there is still alot left and ive done 17k. Is this normal?? I am light on the brakes as i dont drive fast, dont tailgate and dont like getting my wheels mucky

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Toni View Post
                Is this something I could do myself? Don't really want to give Bolton VX any more custom as they're a bunch of arrogant in-breds!

Chris.
                Basically you have to remove the caliper then remove the pads and put cooper grease on the back of the pads and reassemble.

The same process as actually changing the brakes in the first instance.
                | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

have you tried bending the metal plate on the rear of the discs.. as you have had new discs fitted the original position of the metal plate will prob be sitting on the disc...
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Toni View Post
                    Does anybody elses brakes squeak? We had new brake discs and pads fitted about 5 weeks ago and they have recently started squeaking.

Spoke to Bolton vx who said brakes of this composition are known to squeak and it could take up to 6k miles to bed in - wouldn't they need changing by then!?

Toni
                    You might want to take a look at this thread ...

http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=89597

Comment

Originally posted by br3ttwilson View Post
                      have you tried bending the metal plate on the rear of the discs.. as you have had new discs fitted the original position of the metal plate will prob be sitting on the disc...
                      Try this first chris, this is the most probable cause. If not the brakes will have glazed over with heavy braking, mine squeel from time to time but i know wots causing mine.

2008 Arden Astra with a hint of Black

Comment

Originally posted by TommiVXR View Post
                        Ive had the same pads since i got the car and there is still alot left and ive done 17k. Is this normal?? I am light on the brakes as i dont drive fast, dont tailgate and dont like getting my wheels mucky
                        nope not bad at all lol am the same 06 plate, 26k same disc n pads, still got over half left on them as well
                        sigpic
                        Progress Thread
                        http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...04#post1982104
                        WANTED:
                        SMD, LSD, CDTI, RARB......Poss hybrid in the future

Comment

Working...
                        X