This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bleeding Brakes

Okay, the K-Sport brakes are on their way and ive ordered some better brake fluid to out in. Just need to know that when the brakes are drained completely and putting the new fluid in do yu have to drain the clutch aswell?

would be best just to push new fluid through dont drain it.I use large syringe to take the fluid out of the master cylinder first then top up with new fluid.

There is a definate order you need to bleed in due to the way the braking 'circuits' are confgiured.

On a non ABS car you have dual split circuits, one side front is linked to the other side rear and vice versa, so you would bleed like so:

left rear, right front, right rear, left front

On an ABS car things change due to the ABS unit, here are the official Vauxhall brake bleed instructions:

Bleed brake system and check for leaks
    Note: To guarantee complete bleeding of the brake system, the operating overpressure of the brake bleeder unit must be set to (2...2.5) bar. This is necessary to bleed the brake calliper completely in vehicles with a rear disc brake.

Use only DOT 4 brake fluid.
    1. Brake System, Bleed:

2. Connect brake bleeder unit with adapter (1) to brake fluid reservoir

3. Put brake system under pressure(2...2.5) bar
    Note: Note manufacturer's instructions
    Bleeding procedure:
    Rear right
    Rear left
    Front right
    Front left

4. Bleed according to bleeding sequence

5. Connect hose (2) to respective bleeder valve

6. Open bleeder valve with screwdriver (1) and allow liquid to flow out until clear brake fluid with no bubbles emerges

7. Close bleeder valve concerned
    Tightening torque
    Nm

Bleeder screw to brake calliper, front

Bleeder screw on rear brake calliper

Bleeder screw to wheel brake cylinder

Important: Used brake fluid must not be re-used.

8. Detach brake bleeder unit
    Note: Note residual pressure in brake fluid reservoir

9. Brake System, Check for Leaks:

10. Build up pressure by actuating the brake pedal several times. Support brake pedal tensioner with wooden board on driver's seat and tension brake pedal.

11. When using a brake pedal tensioner without a pressure drop display, the Pressure Tester MKM-558-A must be used. Duration of test approx. 10 minutes. If the brake system is not leaking, the pressure built up remains unchanged
    Last edited by vxrdave; 23 August 2010, 03:05 PM.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

Get a mechanic to do it mate! Thats one part of your car you cant afford to get wrong is bleeding the brakes mate...

Comment

Really super thread this with spot on info from VXRDave - shame we can have these kinds of threads posted on a daily basis !
        sigpic

Comment

when i changed the abs pump on mine i couldnt bleed it again properly using one of the gunson bleeding kits just wasnt right (used correct method) ended up getting a local garage to do it for £30

also theres no need to bleed the clutch unless you just want to run some new fluid through that aswell
          2006 Astra VXR, Flame Red, 19's, AFL, Headlamp Washers, Cruise Control, CD70 + Aux in, Premium Speakers, CID, Bluetooth, Powerfold Mirrors, DDS/TPMS, Sight & Light, Park Pilot, Check Control, Speed Locking - All retrofitted by me 14.17 @ 100 MPH PVS 2011

Comment

i replaced all the calipers on the monaro and could not get it to bleed using a proper brake bleeder at the garage i used to work. after and hour n half dicking around i gave up and got a mate to pump the pedal. took 10 mins and pedal went hard straight away no messing about. so by hand/foot is best i think
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
              Really super thread this with spot on info from VXRDave - shame we can have these kinds of threads posted on a daily basis !
              The power of Google

Comment

Stripped my brakes replaced with Ap's up front and braided hoses at rear i used gunson bleeding kits the one that uses spare wheel pressure worked spot on, also if your breaking in to the fluid lines if you open blead nipple press the brake pedal to the floor lock it in place with something you will not loose any fluid as it closes the valve so no fluid can flow, try it it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by moosh View Post
                  The power of Google
                  not at all TIS its all in the how too section of this very forum. Its called help you should try it some time.
                  Last edited by vxrdave; 23 August 2010, 05:04 PM.

Comment

I called MPG today as asked them if I brought the k-sports to them along with the brake fluid I want to change how much they would charge to fit the brakes and put the new fluid in and they said £125, take it this is alot then?

Comment

nice write up
                      my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

gunson bleeding kit is a cheap and easy way to do it £20
                        I also have a snap on unit at work i think that was near£600 both do the same job
                        the truth is out there
                        part GSI part VXR
                        tyre shreding tarmac terrorist

Comment

Originally posted by moosh View Post
                          Get a mechanic to do it mate! Thats one part of your car you cant afford to get wrong is bleeding the brakes mate...
                          well if u know what u are doing shouldnt b a prob!!!
                          sxirchriswww.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave View Post
                            not at all TIS its all in the how too section of this very forum. Its called help you should try it some time.
                            2nd that!!
                            sxirchriswww.courtenaysport.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              I called MPG today as asked them if I brought the k-sports to them along with the brake fluid I want to change how much they would charge to fit the brakes and put the new fluid in and they said £125, take it this is alot then?
                              Is that for a proper pressure fed fluid change though??

I recall you mentioned that you were on friendly terms with your dealer, it might be worth an ask to see how much they would do it for. I had my fluid chang done when it was serviced last month, and it was way better afterwards.

Comment

Working...
                              X