This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diaphram or piston, Forge actuator??

Before i pay, which is the best to go for?

piston
    VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
    http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

Originally posted by Dab_vxr View Post
      Before i pay, which is the best to go for?

Depends on your budget
      sigpic

Comment

This is making me wish i went for the piston over the diaphragm one but i took there advice lol. to later for me to change now theo i'm sure it will be fine.
        sigpic
        3 gauge conversions, Pillar pods

Comment

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
          Depends on your budget
          Meaning piston is once only and diaphram is constant replacement? Is there no difference in product performance?

Comment

the way i see it is: the oe actuator's weak point is the diaphram, after a while the rubber sags due to heat and use. If you going to upgrade then i would go for the piston type as it wont sag. Now i could be wrong on this and i am sure Forge know there onions......
            VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
            http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob1981 View Post
              the way i see it is: the oe actuator's weak point is the diaphram, after a while the rubber sags due to heat and use. If you going to upgrade then i would go for the piston type as it wont sag. Now i could be wrong on this and i am sure Forge know there onions......
              Thats exactly what baffling me. Why would they recommend a diaphram? Does it make so much difference?

Comment

Thats exactly what baffling me. Why would they recommend a diaphram? Does it make so much difference?
                I was just told it reacts faster and they have sold more then the piston one. but then again Bo's running the piston one
                sigpic

Comment

Meaning piston is once only and diaphram is constant replacement? Is there no difference in product performance?

Well........

The piston variety i doubt will last forever, but Yes it will out live an OE one - thats for sure

Moving on... depends on what your refer to when you say diaphragm, the diaphragms in the OE units are weak and show no ressemblance to say the Collins unit, which I would describe more of a suction cup than a diaphragm. The main issue is yet again AFAIU, the heat soak from the turbo area that causes the failure of these units, due to its close proximity.

With regards comparison and to performance gain, it then depends on what you are trying to achieve with said uprated actuator and which one of the many you refer to ....Collins, Garett, Forge etc

Remember, the stock map and any tuner map whether it be EDS, Superchips or Klassen at any level is based purely around the OE Actuator and its behavour, so changing that unit you are also changing the behaviour of whatever the OE unit was going. Now if that change is what you required ie. holding boost, increasing boost, having no break off point, well thats fair enough, but if not well.... you really need to consider whats happening with the uprated actuator you have.

So moving swiftly onto cost - cost is surely then relevant to requirement and budget. Buying the most expensive is not always the best solution or required solution.
                  Last edited by R15VXR; 26 August 2010, 10:20 PM. Reason: Typos
                  sigpic

Comment

Depends on your budget
                    I belive they cost the same from Forge Just make sure you get the right spring so the break of point is right.
                    I like the piston type, but AET turbos prefeer the diafram type because there in their openion are less change of it getting stuck if the rod is in a slight angle

Your choice
                    sigpic

Click Follow Me on Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by nielsen View Post
                      I belive they cost the same from Forge Just make sure you get the right spring so the break of point is right.
                      I like the piston type, but AET turbos prefeer the diafram type because there in their openion are less change of it getting stuck if the rod is in a slight angle

Your choice
                      It might be good thing i went for the Diaphram type then lol

carn't wait for it to come now
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nielsen View Post

Your choice
                        Similar price structure I believe;

Courtenay's uprated unit with bracket (supply only )
                        £140.00 + del
                        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...&productId=122

Courtenay's uprated unit without bracket (supply only )
                        £90.00 + del
                        http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...&productId=409

Forge uprated unit with bracket (supply only )
                        £156.00 + del
                        http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMACAVXR

Collins dash31 unit utilising existing OE bracket via MPG including RR & fitting
                        £ 110.00

VX OE Actuator with bracket
                        £xx.xx ( cant remember now but im sure its roughly £140.00 )

Garett T2 unit without bracket ( supply only )
                        £ 50.00 + del

Garett T3 unit without bracket ( supply only )
                        £ approx 90.00
                        Last edited by R15VXR; 26 August 2010, 11:34 PM. Reason: Additional prices added
                        sigpic

Comment

Similar price structure I believe;

Courtenay's uprated unit with bracket (supply only )
                          £140.00 + del
                          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...&productId=122

Courtenay's uprated unit without bracket (supply only )
                          £90.00 + del
                          http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/inde...&productId=409

Forge uprated unit with bracket (supply only )
                          £156.00 + del
                          http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/con...oduct=FMACAVXR

Collins dash31 unit utilising existing OE bracket via MPG including RR & fitting
                          £ 110.00

VX OE Actuator with bracket
                          £xx.xx ( cant remember now but im sure its roughly £140.00 )

Garett unit
                          £ unknown
                          Courtney's actuator is basically a T2 actuator anyway they just call it their own, which you can buy for around 60quid
                          Id personally go for a garrett T3 actuator, they are a sealed unit, and not rebuild able like the collins, and forge ones, so there is no chance that they will leak boost, you can get them in a range of pressures also (0.6, 1 bar etc..). They are around £90 from turbo dynamics, for the genuine garrett item..
                          HTH
                          Last edited by VXRDean; 26 August 2010, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Think, we best add the link ;

http://www.turbotechnics.com/components/t2actuator.htm
                            sigpic

Comment

Here is the tread titel for people there can't read

Diaphram or piston, Forge actuator??
                              sigpic

Click Follow Me on Facebook

Comment

Working...
                              X