This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new gm engine oil lasting 40k

well ive just changed the oil on my car and when i went to vauxhall to get the oil, i was ask how often i chage the oil and i replyed every 10k, then was told that wasn't nessassery as the oil lasts 20k, an now they have this new stuff that will last for 40k and thats the same with the oi; filter.. i did tell them that its for the vxr and was told it doesnt matter.

was 40 quid for 5 ltrs

so how many people are keeping the same oil in for 40k? surely it cant last that long.
    my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

I cant belive an oil lasting 40K and still having all the lubricating properties still present. And as for the filter...LOL mines all rust and bonded on after 6 months/3K.

Comment

That's the new oil Dexos isn't it?

Astra

Comment

Originally posted by sandyVXR View Post
        well ive just changed the oil on my car and when i went to vauxhall to get the oil, i was ask how often i chage the oil and i replyed every 10k, then was told that wasn't nessassery as the oil lasts 20k, an now they have this new stuff that will last for 40k and thats the same with the oi; filter.. i did tell them that its for the vxr and was told it doesnt matter.

was 40 quid for 5 ltrs

so how many people are keeping the same oil in for 40k? surely it cant last that long.
        I just bought the same long life oil for my vxr from vx and was only charged £16 !!

Comment

change every 4000 myself, it was black by then. just had first service at 6500 miles and that was very dark aswell. im going to change in the next three months again. a abit over kill but atleast i know the oil is tip top!!

40k, the engine would be ****** well long before you hit that!

Comment

I was speaking to an oil man earlier this year who was supplying a friend for his racecar. He told me that as long as you run the oil between approx 90 and 110 degrees in a 'normal' road car the oil would easily last 100k. The materials and tolerances in modern engines mean that you just don't get the wear like you used to. He also said that nobody ever believes him and he's quite happy to keep selling them oil to replace perfectly good oil!

Comment

mine gets changed every 5k always have done.
              sigpic
              courts stage 3 297bhp 343ft/lbs

vxr gone onwards an upwards

Comment

Originally posted by andrewt1971 View Post
                I was speaking to an oil man earlier this year who was supplying a friend for his racecar. He told me that as long as you run the oil between approx 90 and 110 degrees in a 'normal' road car the oil would easily last 100k. The materials and tolerances in modern engines mean that you just don't get the wear like you used to. He also said that nobody ever believes him and he's quite happy to keep selling them oil to replace perfectly good oil!
                you got to be joking.. so if this is true then why do all motor companies recommend every 20k or 1 year.. am sure they all have done there millions of pounds worth of research...
                sigpic

Comment

Probably so they can make a few quid by getting you to bring the car back for servicing.
                  Joking aside, my guess would be 20k is the limit the manufacturers are willing to risk on a car that gets 'abused' by repeated short trips where the oil never gets to warm up!

Comment

have you every done an oil change? if so what was the colour of the oil when you did it and what mileage had it done. TBH i drive mine like miss daisy. warming oil etc and even after 6k my oil is black... any car could easy use the same oil for 100k but i guarentee it will not be doing the jobs its intended to do....
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andrewt1971 View Post
                      i totally agree mate, but whose oil regulary gets hot enough? im stage 3 and have never got above 80'C (only when driving slow with high revs.) the oil needs to get quite hot to evaporate oil contaminates but never regulary does.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan_Measham_vxr View Post
                        i totally agree mate, but whose oil regulary gets hot enough? im stage 3 and have never got above 80'C (only when driving slow with high revs.) the oil needs to get quite hot to evaporate oil contaminates but never regulary does.
                        That's coolant temp not oil temp

Astra

Comment

oh and letting you know, for years castrol had been "recycling old oil" as they knew if it was cleaned/filtered correctly they could resell and reuse it safetly.

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                            no, thats oil temp mate unless iv got water going around my sump and my oil temp gauge is lying to me. the oil never seems to get verry hot where as my coolent fluctuates fron highest 95 to lowest of about 60 (rediator temp)
                            Also, most oil coolers that have a thermostat are set around 82-85 temp as that is the minimun temp to, again evaporate oil contaminates (moisture, some hydrocarbons ets)
                            Last edited by Dan_Measham_vxr; 27 August 2010, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalino View Post
                              I just bought the same long life oil for my vxr from vx and was only charged £16 !!
                              thats what i paid at trade but would have beren 40 quid

change every 4000 myself, it was black by then. just had first service at 6500 miles and that was very dark aswell. im going to change in the next three months again. a abit over kill but atleast i know the oil is tip top!!

40k, the engine would be ****** well long before you hit that!
                              That's the new oil Dexos isn't it?
                              correct it is.

you cant be driving it hard enough if you never see oil more than that.

thats what i was thinking
                              my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

Working...
                              X