X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Useage Questions

Hey all,

Got my VXR 3 months ago with 19k miles on the clocks and it's now just turned 22k, so I've done around 3k miles. When I got it the VX dealer had done an oil change the day before I picked it up. The oil on the dipstick when I got it home was just below the maximum line. I checked it this morning and it's still just below the maximum line.

So it hasn't used any oil but I thought these types of cars were meant to use some oil or do they not?

Also, I'm wanting to buy some top up oil (incase) it does ever need topping up. In the service book the dealer has ticked 'Engine Oil Grade GM-LL-A-025' and 'Viscosity 5W 30'. Do I just buy some oil of that grade to top it up with because I don't want to be mixing the oil and nor do I want to void the warranty.

Here are two oils I've found from Opi, will either of these be ok and which would you recommend (if any).

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-883-motu...productDetails

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-992-fuch...productDetails

Thanks.
    Lightning Silver Astra

They will use a bit of oil but not very much, if any serious oil usage is observed you either have a leak on an internal issue that is burning the oil. Plus you have low mileage so there won't be much wear on the engine yet.

If you want to buy some oil pickup a litre from the vauxhall garage that serviced it to ensure its the exact same brand, it shouldn't really matter but its worth always using the exact same oil.
    | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

Think it depends of a few factors - mainly general health of the engine, mileage, level of tune and how sympathetic you and the previous owners have been to the car

With regards Oil, you wont go wrong with something like Mobil1 0w40 or whatever Oilman recommends TBH
      sigpic

Comment

i would stick to the exact same .brand/grade of oil the garage used to for peace of mind..and warranty mines the same it never use's any oil..which can only be a good thing
        ''we do not quit modifying because we grow old,''

'' we grow old because we quit modifying ''

Comment

Originally posted by worky View Post
          They will use a bit of oil but not very much, if any serious oil usage is observed you either have a leak on an internal issue that is burning the oil. Plus you have low mileage so there won't be much wear on the engine yet.

If you want to buy some oil pickup a litre from the vauxhall garage that serviced it to ensure its the exact same brand, it shouldn't really matter but its worth always using the exact same oil.
          From what I can tell it has used next to none, which I thought was strange as I expected it to have used some but like you say nothing significant.

The garage I got it from is 160 miles away, I could ring them but what would be the chances of them still knowing 3 months down the line?

Originally posted by R15VXR View Post
          Think it depends of a few factors - mainly general health of the engine, mileage, level of tune and how sympathetic you and the previous owners have been to the car

With regards Oil, you wont go wrong with something like Mobil1 0w40 or whatever Oilman recommends TBH
          Car is 100% standard and always has been except for a turbo back Remus.

How come you say Mobil 0w40, that would mean I'm mixing viscosity or would that not matter?

The two I linked above were what come up when I searched Astra VXR on Oipe's site.
          Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Originally posted by VXR PAUL View Post
            i would stick to the exact same .brand/grade of oil the garage used to for peace of mind..and warranty mines the same it never use's any oil..which can only be a good thing
            I can get the exact same grade back but I don't know what brand was used
            Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Originally posted by Tecky View Post
              Just ask the dealer, it likely be their own brand GM oil.
              | Find | Watch | Follow |

Comment

Originally posted by Tecky View Post
                give the garage a quick ring im sure they could tell you...if not it's the grade which is more important ...as long as you keep that the same it should be ok... you dont want two diffrent waight's of oil in a engine. well i would'nt but im sure there loads that mix and have no problems...but if 1 was to arise and then got checked under warranty ! like said as long as it's the same grade. GM approved oil all is fine .
                ''we do not quit modifying because we grow old,''

'' we grow old because we quit modifying ''

Comment

Thanks for the help guys, appreciate it.

I'll give them a ring tomorrow but if they don't know for what ever reason or are not 100% sure I could just do an oil change my self or would this void my warranty? If it will I'll have to get it in to vauxhall for them to change it.

I really don't want to mix brands, not saying it will harm it as I'm sure lots have done it without any problems but for what an oil change costs compared to the car it's worth just getting it changed imo.
                  Lightning Silver Astra

Comment

Working...
                  X