X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Astra VXR Owner - Some questions!

Hi,

I am about to take delivery of my new car... An Astra VXR Arctic edition. And I can't wait! I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1. I am planning on only putting Premium Petrol in my car. From my limited research I can see that Tesco 99 Premium fuel gives both a performance and mpg boost to the VXR. I'm interested for anyone's opinion on using Premium Fuel and whether it genuinely makes a signifficant difference for you?

2. My standard VXR does not have Cruise Control. How can I get this added? How much will it cost? Will it invalidate my Vauxhall 100k warranty?

3. I am getting a Cobra GPS/UHF/GSM tracker. Anyone else have one of these? How functional is the mobile tracking link? If you have the added Mobile function do you think its worth it?

4. Should I treat my car any differently for the first X thousand miles? Or can I just put my foot down and thrash it about!

5. I will be driving 70 miles everyday to work and back. Am I going to have immense fun?

6. Is there anything else I can do to improve MPG besides driving responsibly?

Forgive the naive questions, but I have never owned a sports performance car before. I thought I may aswell jump in at the deepend before I have kids in a few years and have to get a Meriva!
    Astra H VXR 2.0l Arctic Special Edition - Stage 3 315bhp/469nm - Sold - Sept 2010 > Feb 2015 - It's journey continues
    Astra J GTC 2.0l SRI CDTI - Stage 1 215bhp/460nm - Work milage monster - Feb 2015 Ongoing
    Audi 8V RS3 2.5l Sportback - Stage OEM 362bhp/465nm - Nardo Grey due January 2016

Hi welcome to vxro . T99 or V-power are both great cruise control can be done for £60 iirc theres plenty of guys on here that fit and tech 2 it. Always warm up and cool down too, never get in and thrash it let it warm up before you give it some ..!!!HTH oh and enjoy it..!!!
    ....................................sigpic.................................

..................... THEY JUST KEEP GETTING BETTER.!!.................

Comment

Originally posted by vxr.paul View Post
      Hi welcome to vxro . T99 or V-power are both great cruise control can be done for £60 iirc theres plenty of guys on here that fit and tech 2 it. Always warm up and cool down too, never get in and thrash it let it warm up before you give it some ..!!!HTH oh and enjoy it..!!!
      i agree with paul and have fun

Comment

Thanks

I will have fun. Fear will no doubt be my first feeling!
        Astra H VXR 2.0l Arctic Special Edition - Stage 3 315bhp/469nm - Sold - Sept 2010 > Feb 2015 - It's journey continues
        Astra J GTC 2.0l SRI CDTI - Stage 1 215bhp/460nm - Work milage monster - Feb 2015 Ongoing
        Audi 8V RS3 2.5l Sportback - Stage OEM 362bhp/465nm - Nardo Grey due January 2016

Comment

Welcome and massive congrats on a Lovely car !!!!

Firstly, every NEW car should be driven nice and carefully in the first 1000 miles or so, just don't rev past say 4000-4500 RPM just let the engine bed itself in a bit first. Then after that HAVE FUN!!!! If you take it easy to start with the engine will reward you later with reliablity.

As Paul said too, remember and let the engine warm up fuly before giving it the full beans, and after every good run just let the engine idle for a minute or 2 to let the turbo cool down and make sure the Turbo gets the oil it needs to prolong its life !!!

Def only use V power or T99 fuel, I have used V power for over 12 months now and thought it to be great. then changed to Tesco around 10-12 days ago and am loving it even more !! But thats possibly personal preference really.

Main thing is, just enjoy the car have FUN and don't speed about too much Give us VXR boys and girls a good name !!!

James

sigpic
          MY14 Corsa Burg, "REX" , Burg #452

Comment

Originally posted by VXArctic View Post
            Hi,

I am about to take delivery of my new car... An Astra VXR Arctic edition. And I can't wait! I have a few questions that I hope you can answer.

1. I am planning on only putting Premium Petrol in my car. From my limited research I can see that Tesco 99 Premium fuel gives both a performance and mpg boost to the VXR. I'm interested for anyone's opinion on using Premium Fuel and whether it genuinely makes a signifficant difference for you?

2. My standard VXR does not have Cruise Control. How can I get this added? How much will it cost? Will it invalidate my Vauxhall 100k warranty?

3. I am getting a Cobra GPS/UHF/GSM tracker. Anyone else have one of these? How functional is the mobile tracking link? If you have the added Mobile function do you think its worth it?

4. Should I treat my car any differently for the first X thousand miles? Or can I just put my foot down and thrash it about!

5. I will be driving 70 miles everyday to work and back. Am I going to have immense fun?

Forgive the naive questions, but I have never owned a sports performance car before. I thought I may aswell jump in at the deepend before I have kids in a few years and have to get a Meriva!

Hi and welcome to the online forum.

As for your questions I agree with most of what has already been said.

You will find that the first few months your consumption will be quite heavy
            not getting over 30 to the galllon but this will improve over time.
            I am now returning 32 - 35 some times more.

I have tried the higher octane fuel but found no benefit from using it and seen no improvement in mpg.

I would suggest you drive very carefully till you get use to the car as reading your questions you imply that you are having a big jump to the VXR.

as to heavy a right foot will eat your tyre's and replacing them will be expensive as I am just about to find out lol

But one thing I will say is that you will enjoy they are awesome
            Would like to do more,

Milltek cat back, Whiteline RARB, Cruise Control, Light & Sight Pack, Parrot Blue Tooth Hands free Phone Connection & both rear fog lights working

Comment

Hi,

Hi and welcome to the online forum.

As for your questions I agree with most of what has already been said.

You will find that the first few months your consumption will be quite heavy
              not getting over 30 to the galllon but this will improve over time.
              I am now returning 32 - 35 some times more.

I have tried the higher octane fuel but found no benefit from using it and seen no improvement in mpg.

I would suggest you drive very carefully till you get use to the car as reading your questions you imply that you are having a big jump to the VXR.

as to heavy a right foot will eat your tyre's and replacing them will be expensive as I am just about to find out lol

But one thing I will say is that you will enjoy they are awesome
              Would like to do more,

Milltek cat back, Whiteline RARB, Cruise Control, Light & Sight Pack, Parrot Blue Tooth Hands free Phone Connection & both rear fog lights working

Comment

^^ Just remember though the higher octane fuel is a cleaner fuel and is more benificial to the engine over time. Using only standard unleaded WILL reduced power slightly. Plus it only costs around £1.40 for a whole tank extra to fill up using 99 Ron fuel rather than normal unleaded !!! So its a no brainer really.

James

sigpic
                MY14 Corsa Burg, "REX" , Burg #452

Comment

Right cheers on the tips for treating the car correctly! Its gonna be hard keeping the revs low for a few weeks! But your right, a little TLC now and i'm sure I'll be repaid with reliability & longevity.

Thanks for all the info! I'm taking a massive jump and I need to be careful until I really know the car. I don't want to be on first name terms with any of the local tree's or lamp posts.

Already found a few local Swindon VXR owners through this forum aswell. Its nice to have a community of fellow VXR owners

I cant wait any longer now. I wish things would hurry up!

Are there many Arctics on the road? I cant remember seeing any. But then again I have not been looking for them.

Comment

Right cheers on the tips for treating the car correctly! Its gonna be hard keeping the revs low for a few weeks! But your right, a little TLC now and i'm sure I'll be repaid with reliability & longevity.

Thanks for all the info! I'm taking a massive jump and I need to be careful until I really know the car. I don't want to be on first name terms with any of the local tree's or lamp posts.

Already found a few local Swindon VXR owners through this forum aswell. Its nice to have a community of fellow VXR owners

I cant wait any longer now. I wish things would hurry up!

Are there many Arctics on the road? I cant remember seeing any. But then again I have not been looking for them.
                    Not seen one on the road as yet - but have seen one at the dealers and at some of the VXR Events - make sure you have a look in the region section and then you can turn up for the next meet for everyone to see your nice new car

Astra

Comment

also buy lots of detailing stuff and a snowfoamer. love cleaning mine

Comment

Originally posted by IanJ View Post
                        Not seen one on the road as yet - but have seen one at the dealers and at some of the VXR Events - make sure you have a look in the region section and then you can turn up for the next meet for everyone to see your nice new car
                        Didnt realise there were regional events here I will take a look! My VXR is actually the one on the showroom floor! Which I am actually quite happy about because its not been sat outside in the cold etc.

They tell me the car has been locked with a sold sign on it, so at least no one else can get into my car!

Comment

Didnt realise there were regional events here I will take a look! My VXR is actually the one on the showroom floor! Which I am actually quite happy about because its not been sat outside in the cold etc.

They tell me the car has been locked with a sold sign on it, so at least no one else can get into my car!
                          I have an arctic too my dealer fitted cruise control think it cost me list price so £250 odd or something along those lines. sounds like the guys here know how to do it a lot cheaper though. Is yours a 60 plate and have you picked it up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                            I have an arctic too my dealer fitted cruise control think it cost me list price so £250 odd or something along those lines. sounds like the guys here know how to do it a lot cheaper though. Is yours a 60 plate and have you picked it up yet.
                            Yes it will be a 60 plate

I hope to be picking it up next saturday. They just needed to see some payslips for the finance. Now I'm just waiting for the dealer to be paid, then tax & reg and its mine!

One more question. At what milage will the Cambelt need replacing? And how much?

Comment

Buy the stalk for about £30 off ebay and get the dealer to activate it and hopefully it won't invalidate your warranty

Comment

Working...
                              X