This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd hand VXRs

Am i missing something or are all of whatcar's depreciation indicies rediculously underestimated? e.g.
    http://www.whatcar.com/depreciation-...T=647&ED=47275
    The very cheapest I can find is around is about £15500 now, is that because VXRs are still rare on the market?
    Strange also that reds seem to be more pricey than blue, despite being non metallic.
    Also does anyone have any pics of one with eyebrows?
    cheers

Dave
    I would say theres a bit of dodgy "guesstimation" going on there. They are probably using the depreciation of other vauxhall models as guide.

Comment

It would be fantastic for me if i could pick one up for 12k, can't afford a new one because insurance here in NI is laughable. (Anyone on here have a flame red that was driving down the cairnshill road in belfast today?)
      Am waiting until there's a red with 19"s at the very most 14k.
      But it's quite funny reading through autotrader seeing VXRs listed "too fast for wife" or some numpty buying one then deciding to get married and having to sell it all within a month. I guess that's love for you :P

Comment

coulda been me in belfast today m8, not sure!

Comment

I have previously been told that What Car's depreciation figures are usually widely optimistic.
          Don't forget that the figures are also supposedly what the car is worth as apposed to what the client will pay.
          For example when I have been looking at 4x4's recently I have asked what my 5 month old Vectra is worth. It was £25.5K new and the best bids are £16-£17.5K.

Comment

Catherine:
            I'm not sure what you mean, surely something's monetary value is the same as what it can be sold for? But anyway, their claims for the renaultsport and golf gti are equally rediculous.
            I was tempted by 3.2 GSi vectras that half their value in no time, but the general reason they're cheap is the reason I don't really want one: it just ain't the head turner the astra VXR is!
            N3 VXR:
            There seems to have been an explosion of VXRs in belfast recently, saw a red one at forestside and a blue one on the saintfield road yesterday then another today, 1st ones i've seen. How on earth did you get yours insured???

Comment

Dave, as I understand the situation the What Car figures are book values (Hence they call it a depreciation index).
              So for example my Vectra has depreciated to £16K. The dealer would then sell it for circa £19K (Look at Network Q's website and you will see what I mean).
              Also take into account that What Car don't update their figures that often so it probably doesn't take into account the recent upward percentage increase that CAP have applied to the Astra. They still don't give a figure for the Vectra VXR even though it has been on the market for at least 6 months.
              Having said that What Car's German Prestige figures are rediculously over valued.

Comment

It's really annoying that dealers' "prices" are nothing like what they sell them for, just a ploy to trick silly people into thinking they're getting a great deal when they shave off a bit. Also people claiming the car is worth/they paid £whatever new, when it obviously isn't because of "discounts" and they'd be a fool to pay that much, is annoying.
                Sorry for diverging so much, had to get that off my chest.
                Don't think it's called an index because there's a book of them though.
                Yeah the vectra vxr's price is still too arbitrary because there aren't enough of them available 2nd hand for reference.

Comment

I had no problem insuring mine £613 fully comp with Admiral (£250 excess)

Comment

I was talking about insuring them in northern ireland, N3 VXR I believe you are 18?

Comment

I do live in Northern Ireland

Comment

Originally posted by Catherine
                        So for example my Vectra has depreciated to £16K. The dealer would then sell it for circa £19K (Look at Network Q's website and you will see what I mean). .
                        Would love to have £3k mark up on cars, I wish.
                        What Car;s guide is not the m ost accurate in the world, and you will never see a dealer pricing a car out the back of What Car, the trade guides dont even book Astra/VXR;s so how What Car get their values is beyond me.

Comment

sorry chrisVXR didn't see that, i'm getting quoted £2400 3rd party only by elephant.co.uk
                          if i get one i'd be better to drive it VERY carefully :?

Comment

Dave try Admiral.co.uk they were the cheapest for me, but then I did try elephant as well and they were only quoteing me £853. I do have nine years no claims which is helping
                            Also If you are thinking of getting one try Townparks in Antrim and ask for Martin they are much better to deal with than ballyrobert

Comment

thanks for the advice, although admiral didn't have the VXR on their list of astra models (as far as i could see?). Unfortunately i've only been driving under my dad's insurance, but would argue am a hell of a safer driver than him who has luckily never crashed a car.
                              the charles hurst in lisburn were very good when i went to take a look around, is it easy enough to get a test drive?
                              buying new just isn't an option for me. i see there are a few cars on autotrader at around the 15-16k mark, i've never bought a car before, what's the minimum i could offer for a car at £15500? anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X