This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• space saver spare wheel

Can anyone tell me what size of wheel the space saver is and which size of tyre should be fitted to it? My car came with the 19s which meant no spare, but i would rather buy a spare wheel than buy a new tyre if i get a repairable puncture, apparently the tyre is useless after you have put the tyre weld stuff in. Contacted dealer but wasn't much help.

Hi liftman, welcome to the site.
    I believe that no space saver will fit over the front brakes on the VXR. You would need to purchase at least a 17" normal wheel.
    However, I would check this with a dealer though before purchasing a new one. If your local dealer is no good then you could always try another one.
    Alternatively, Stu Harris the VXR Brand manager is on this forum, known as the Mothership! He would probably be able to answer than question.
    Also, no VXR comes with a spare wheel. Just the tyre weld!
    Hope that helps.
    Ian

Comment

My local dealer told me that a car supplied with 18s had a spare wheel but if you took the 19" upgrade you lost the spare wheel and got the tyre weld instead.

Comment

have got a 06 plate with 18's on i did not get a spare.you do not get a spare with any astra vxr.

Comment

Originally posted by liftman
          My local dealer told me that a car supplied with 18s had a spare wheel but if you took the 19" upgrade you lost the spare wheel and got the tyre weld instead.
          Tell the dealer that's incorrect! No VXR has a spare wheel regardless of size chosen. I was one of the first cars delivered (way back in Dec) and none of us have them. We all have tyre weld in the spare wheel compartment!
          Unfortunately dealers don't always know everything there is to know about their products but hey, that's what these forums are for!

Comment

Thanks for your help guys, Looks like if i want a spare i will have to go for another alloy which will not be cheap and will sit high in the boot. I am not keen on the tyre weld, could work out quite expensive if you were to get a puncture in a good tyre which if not for the tyre weld, could be repaired.

Comment

If anyone can reccomend a cheap wheel tyre then I will have one as im not looking forward to getting a puncture in the rain in January and trying to figure out what to do.
              I went to the Grand Prix last month and when I went to bed was thinking that if I wake with a flat there will be £100's of tickets in the bin as 1) im not going to be able to get to drive 300 miles on a puncture repair kit and 2) nobody will be able to repair provide a new trye at 5am on a Sunday morning.
              I think its crazy to offer this. At least with my MINI it has run flats so you can trundle round for a week to get it sorted.
              Why dont they manufacture a 17 inch pram wheel/spacesaver?

Comment

it's all down to cost

Comment

Oh and you need a jack too even if you have a spare.......
                  Andy

Comment

oh, and a wrench, and no , not a busty barmaid.
                    johnny
                    Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

Officially we can't fit any 'spare' to the VXR. However we're just lookingat what wheels physically fit with clearance. I'll let you know soon as Dougie is out of the car park.
                      Stu

Comment

On the Opel web site there is a list of homologated wheel and tyre sizes for current models. It lists a 205/50 x 17 with a 7 x 17 wheel with 39 et as a winter option for the opc models. Sounds like a standard SRI 17 wheel to me.

Comment

Originally posted by the vxr mothership
                          Officially we can't fit any 'spare' to the VXR. However we're just lookingat what wheels physically fit with clearance. I'll let you know soon as Dougie is out of the car park.
                          Stu
                          Why can we not have an ordinary spacesaver wheel. I guess the standard astra sportshatch has one ???

My MG had a spacesaver that also would not fit on the front over the big disks !!! NO problem

You only use the spacesaver on the back and put the back wheel on the front. STANDARD PRACTICE FOR SAFETY.

What is the cost of a spacesaver or alike that is fitted in the sportshatch ??? & availability. I would prefer to drive home slowly and choose where and when to get a replacement tyre etc.

Comment

When I get my VXR (1st week in september!!) I'll pop one of the alloys off my Mk4 SRi Turbo off and see how it fit's in the boot.

These alloys should fit over the front brakes as Courtenay offer the VXR brake conversion for the astra 'G' turbo's.

But it'll have to wait till then though!!!
                            Sold - Arden Blue Astra VXR on 19's
                            Ordered - Pure White Golf GTI on 18's (couldn't stomach paying for 19" tyres any more!)

Comment

Originally posted by Turbowayne
                              Originally posted by the vxr mothership
                              Stu
                              Why can we not have an ordinary spacesaver wheel. I guess the standard astra sportshatch has one ???

My MG had a spacesaver that also would not fit on the front over the big disks !!! NO problem

You only use the spacesaver on the back and put the back wheel on the front. STANDARD PRACTICE FOR SAFETY.

What is the cost of a spacesaver or alike that is fitted in the sportshatch ??? & availability. I would prefer to drive home slowly and choose where and when to get a replacement tyre etc.

Good point, I would go for that rather than having to use the tyre weld. Anyone know of any problems fitting space saver on the back??

Comment

Working...
                              X