This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't love my Astra Any More

I am afriad to say that I have a real dislike for the Astra. Some of you may recall me saying a couple of weeks ago that I felt the car couldn't corner and a number of you suggested that I look at the suspension packers.
    Well over the last couple of days I have driven the car and the thing just cannot corner. It leans so much that items fly off the passenger seat and it is so poor I was whooped by a Daihatsu Copen on a roundabout.
    Somebody tell me whats wrong with thing.

to be fair i think it's the centrifugal force not the leaning that makes things fly off when you're cornering and there's no way around that, and i would have thought leaning might exagerate the problem but it's not going to make much difference?.
    is this the VXR astra you're talking about?

Comment

Yes it is a VXR.
      As I have just said to Mark (Sparky) the sad thing is that my warmed over Citroen C4 was better than this car and I watched a Focus ST minutes beforehand cross the same roundabout at a speed that I wouldn't dare to attempt.
      I don't for one minute think that it is the Astra VXR in general, I think it is this particular car. It just cannot be right.

Comment

if you know someone else with one nearby you could get them to try the roundabout and follow them and do a couple of laps at different speeds to check i suppose. you didn't hit a pothole/speedramp/kerb badly or anything?

Comment

could be the fact you bought a thrashed demonstrator!!
          only a suggestion

Comment

Could be, but I doubt it. Yes it was a demo car, but I have the feeling that they are not the thrashing sort of people. Actually I suspect totally the opposite.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
              if you know someone else with one nearby you could get them to try the roundabout and follow them and do a couple of laps at different speeds to check i suppose. you didn't hit a pothole/speedramp/kerb badly or anything?
              I am going to see if I can get it up to VXPC for them to take it for a spin.

Comment

Astra vxr

Catherine , bring it in to the Performance Centre lets have a look for you .
                Ill be able to take you on our test route, sure fire test of good car or bad car.
                Dave.

Comment

David, I had already sent you a pm, hopefully you will pick it up later.

Comment

coud be a problem with the suspension on the car. Whether the car is thrashed previously or not, most of these cars have sol little mileage on them now that it shouldnt make a differance.

Comment

Just out of interest what are you comparing it to ie what have you previously driven then you are comparing it too. When your tootling the vxr does feel soft and you dont think you can push it but when you do it needs pushing hard before letting go.

Comment

I think we need to see if it has a problem when I take it to VXPC. I really really want it to have a problem.
                        Obviously I am comparing it to the Vectra which is leagues ahead in the handling dept but of course it has CDC. The handling of that car is very close to my old M3, Boxster, Legacy & Impreza.
                        The previous cars that the Astra replaced were:
                        Citroen C4 2005
                        Mercedes A Class 2005
                        Land Rover Freelander 2004
                        Ford Focus 2004
                        The Astra seams to handle and lean like the A Class and if I am honest I hated that car because of it's ride.

Comment

Have you got the IDC thingy by any chance ? People say it makes the car feel a bit 'floaty' for want of a better word. I don't have it....I don't get what you describe it sounds like a different car TBH :?
                          Nova 1.6 16v TB's DTA 1/4mile 14.8s

Comment

No it doesn't have CDC/IDS (whatever it is called), based on the Vectra I wish it did.

Comment

As we spoke, Dave will sort it out I am sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X