This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some Help please !

Hi I am new to this forum & i am thinking of getting a Astra VXr, Currently i own a Evo V & a Renualtsport clio 182. I have been looking for a car that can replace both cars with 1. Is the Astra VXR that car ?

Can somebody help answer the following questions .

1. What is the average day to day MPG (Truthfully) ?

2. What is the performance of a VXR like compared to the clio 182 & focus ST ?

3. Is the vxr as twitchy to drive as all the car press say ?

4. Can you get heated seats without the leather pacK ? (The photo in the vauxhall VXR brochure page 1 shows a car with cloth seats & seat heating switches ?

Thanks

Jonathon

Can`t answer yur last question, but the others i can, I get between 28-30mpg around town, sensible driving with the odd play when someone gets too close ... Not twitchy at all, the most sure footed car I have driven, it`s on rails, if you bury the go pedal then you get some torque steer, but you will with any powerful fwd car. As for performance, will obliterate a 182 and is a little quicker than the ST ...

Go have a test drive, I bought mine as soon as I got back *lol*

Comment

Originally posted by Bainie
      Can`t answer yur last question, but the others i can, I get between 28-30mpg around town, sensible driving with the odd play when someone gets too close ... Not twitchy at all, the most sure footed car I have driven, it`s on rails, if you bury the go pedal then you get some torque steer, but you will with any powerful fwd car. As for performance, will obliterate a 182 and is a little quicker than the ST ...

Go have a test drive, I bought mine as soon as I got back *lol*
      Strange that you say it will oblitorate a 182 as My cousin has an ST & my 182 is an easy match for his, but thanks for your input.

Comment

Jonathon,

you can't get the heated seats as an individual option , but ask the dealer to send in special build request form to MSIT for it.

For twitchiness and driving , as Bainie , says take a test drive to compare yourself.

The immediate difference you'll feel between the 182 and the VXR is the torque of the VXR which makes it far punchier.

MPG is somewhere between 25 - 30 depending on your driving.

Stu

PS
        keep the EVO V

Comment

Originally posted by jonathon555

Strange that you say it will oblitorate a 182 as My cousin has an ST & my 182 is an easy match for his, but thanks for your input.

Ahh, are you talking ST170 as opposed to the new 225, which is in a different class ?

Comment

Ahh, are you talking ST170 as opposed to the new 225, which is in a different class ?

225 ST (0-60 mph 6.7 secs 0-100 mph 16.8 secs )
            Clio 182( 0-60 6.3 secs 0 - 100 mph 17.0 seconds)

I am talking about a 225 ST it is the same, but it looks like it is in reverse against my evo.

Comment

I am talking about a 225 ST it is the same, but it looks like it is in reverse against my evo.

A vxr would look like it`s in reverse against an evo though, If you are going to buy one and compare it to the evo you will be dissapointed thats for sure, I read the clios`s 0-60 is 7.1 seconds, but who`s going to argue about a second here and there on paper, you need to drive them and see if it suits you ...

Comment

A vxr would look like it`s in reverse against an evo though, If you are going to buy one and compare it to the evo you will be dissapointed thats for sure, I read the clios`s 0-60 is 7.1 seconds, but who`s going to argue about a second here and there on paper, you need to drive them and see if it suits you ...
                from what i hear the VXR is a good exiting car, hopefully with reasonable running costs. It also looks good ! I am sure if it can do 7/10 ths of the EVO i will be having one. I hope that the VXR is a bridge between the top performance cars & the hot hatches.

would you agree ?

Comment

from what i hear the VXR is a good exiting car, hopefully with reasonable running costs. It also looks good ! I am sure if it can do 7/10 ths of the EVO i will be having one. I hope that the VXR is a bridge between the top performance cars & the hot hatches.

would you agree ?
                  Totally agree with that, the running costs will be a lot better than the evo for sure, and it is an exciting car to drive, I love mine and looked at many options before buying it, (including an st3), would highly reccomend one and it is an everyday car as well so best of both worlds, but when you get some ned up your ar$e in a corsa with a 45 gallon zorst on you can just hit the throttle and away he dissapears *lol*

Comment

would you agree ?
                    mod the VXR a bit, mapping, suspesnion etc etc etc and you may find it a bit closer to your liking

Comment

i would like to respond to your 3rd question on twitchy :?
                      although the vxr is a fantastic car it is a fair bit twitchy but only braking hard int o corner or sometimes not too hard
                      i will probably get more driving lessons now from you guys like i did when i put up a post about this subject :wink: :wink:
                      but seriously the vxr is a gr8 allround hot hatch / sports car and handles gr8 and goes like hell , but i like country roads and sometimes corners are decieving so a twitchy back end i could do without :?

Comment

Originally posted by arden
                        although the vxr is a fantastic car it is a fair bit twitchy but only braking hard int o corner or sometimes not too hard
                        i will probably get more driving lessons now from you guys like i did when i put up a post about this subject :wink: :wink:
                        but seriously the vxr is a gr8 allround hot hatch / sports car and handles gr8 and goes like hell , but i like country roads and sometimes corners are decieving so a twitchy back end i could do without :?
                        I didn't like the twitchyness of the car when I first got it but then I came from a 1.8 Vectra so the handling was completely different!!

The whole reason for the twitchyness is not driving properly. Braking should be done before the corner to bring the speed down, foot off the brake pedal to turn into the corner and then feed the power back in on the way out. I must admit I have learnt to drive with this car. I never have a problem with the twitchyness now unless I do have to brake in mid corner but even then, it's not a problem as the electronics will sort it out.

I've 14k on the clock now and I find the car so rewarding to drive round the twisty stuff. Once you get used to the handling I'm sure you'll find the same. One thing I really like about the car is the way it pivots around the gear stick. Turning into a corner in a way that the pivotting is noticable is so much fun, the car just sticks to the road!

You say that corners are decieving but I bet if you don't brake (to a certain degree anyway!) that the VXR will stick to the road. A few times I have almost chickened out and nearly broke and I've been amazed at the level of grip the car gives. Just amazing.

Hope that helps.

Comment

lol

Lesson No.1 Dont brake going into a corner....lol

Comment

On the subject of corners being deceptive, there is a way to drive all corners to there most. Try using the limit point of the corner. Position the car well to the left (stay within the left hand white line though) for the right handers and to the centre of the road for the left handers(not crossing the centre line.

This has several advantages, 2 of them being better vision throught the corner and more stability (less twitchy) whilst travelling on the curved path.

As Ian has said clear the braking well before the corner, select the gear most suited to the corner, look deep into the corner, apply gentle gas and fix the point where the left and right kerbs meet. This is the limit point. If the point seems to approach you then the corner is getting tighter and easing the gas may be required. If the point seems to more away then more gas may be possible. Eventually the limit point will split as the road open ups.

It does take some practise, so start off slowly and as you become more aware and use to the point the easier it will be. ALso finally try to keep your eyes as far forward and raised as possible.

HTH

Comment

Well that certainly gives me some pointers to keep in mind, thanks for the lesson....keep em coming...

Comment

Working...
                              X