X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warming UP and Orange Light

Hi,

I have had my VXR for about 2 weeks. I have had this happen twice to me and just wanted to make sure it is normal.

Obviously it is not good for any car to thrash it around when it is still cold I guess this is even truer of a turbo. So I usually wait for about 5 to 10 minutes before I give it some beans. Twice now (probably nearer 5 than 10) I have given it some beans and the orange light has come on and the turbo doesn't work. When this happens it seems to take about 15 minutes before the light guess out and a can thrash it. The second time I left the car for about 4 hours and the light was still on for an additional 15 minutes.

So my questions are, is this a safety feature to protect the car? How long or what temperature do I need to wait to before I can rev it. And what is the rev limit I can go to when the car is cold before this feature kicks in.

Is there something wrong with the car or am I just ignorant?

Cheers

Hi Cruizer.

I'm not aware of any other owner having had that problem. Get your dealer to look at it as it sounds like a problem to me. I assume that is the engine management light coming on?

As far as I am aware, there is no safty feature that prevents the turbo from working. As you say it is better to let the engine warm up to temp before giving it the beans but it doesn't do that if you don't.

Ian

Comment

My VXR hasnt done this but my last cdti150 had an engine failure when i tried to beat my brother in laws A4 tdi when the engine was still cold. The light came on and 2 seconds later there was smoke everywhere and the engine was revving at full throttle until i stalled it at the side of the road. You should get it checked out thought as Ian said. I havent tried high revving of the new cdti or the VXR when cold since.

Comment

is there anything to tell you on these cars that the engine is up to temp or is it just guess work?

Comment

Originally posted by Daz_vxr
          is there anything to tell you on these cars that the engine is up to temp or is it just guess work?
          Yep. It's in test mode!

Press and hold the settings button until you hear a beep.
          Then keep pressing the BC button. You will see some more screens than usual. One of them includes the temp!

Comment

Originally posted by IanVXR
            Yep. It's in test mode!

Then keep pressing the BC button. You will see some more screens than usual. One of them includes the temp!
            I just tried it on the derv....good to know its there. Any ideas what all the other screens are for??

Comment

Originally posted by m4rtc
              Originally posted by IanVXR
              Yep. It's in test mode!

I just tried it on the derv....good to know its there. Any ideas what all the other screens are for??
              No idea! Just a load of technical stuff! Some of it's obvious but the rest

Comment

Would be nicer if the temp was included under one of the normal screens rather than just in test mode, say under the BC screens, along with the Inst. Cons stats. Just a thought....

Thanks for letting us know Ian, much appreciated

Comment

got a m8 who works the service dept of a vauxhall dealers when i see him i'll ask him to find out .
                  Magnex Exhaust .TXA sports cat,CDTI box,KN air filter ,TXA top hat pipe ,dreamscience handset ,white line rarb ..Now have a Astra j VXR

Comment

Working...
                  X