X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Owner looking for advice

Hi All,
    Just joined as I recently took ownership of a brand new Astra VXR and have been reading through the various posts. Was just wondering what sort of advice you could all offer on the following topics, and thought this was also a good way to join in with you all.

Car: Astra VXR, Flame Red, CDC70, 18" Wheels, Conti 2 Tyres, IDS+ with CDC, Leather Pack, Base Suraguard

Questions:
    1. What are the best performing tyres for the VXR on normal roads? Won't change them just yet but thinking ahead as they won't last long what would you recommend for maximum grip in all conditions
    2. RunIn - Have done nearly 800 miles in car so far, and kinda forgot about the run in period so have pushed it a bit (never above 5800rpm though) - What would you all recommend?
    3. ECU Maps, Mods - Looking around there are all the Stage1, Stage2 and Stage3 options, and I've thought about increasing the performance but not at the cost of comfort - Which upgrades provide the best boost without braking you back (or bank).
    4. Advanced Driving Courses - Been thinking about doing one of these for a while. Consider myself a very good driver, but no harm in improving/testing this out and wondered if anyone has done some of these and if so what's good and where to go.

Many thanks in advance to you all, and very proud to be a VXR Owner. Just wish those at TopGear would get out of their own rears and realise that vauxhall cars have come along way in the last 15 years.

Ps, Still have my old faithful Corsa SXI 1.2 - love that little car and can't wait for the new Corsa VXR, will most likely buy it as a replacement for my wife. :P

Hi and welcome, bit harsh, replacing your wife with the corsa vxr, lol.

I traded up from the corsa 1.2 sxi, and as you say great little car. You are going to enjoy having the astra vxr, I am still smiling.

johnny
    Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

Hi Alex

I only ran mine in for 560 miles, i was told 600 but couldnt wait.
      Ive got the Thorney stage 2 which is great, does not compromise comfort at all, just plenty of smooth power delivery when you want it.
      Youll probably find out the cars handling at your own pace but if you wanted the driving course im sure it would be worth the money.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyvxr
        Hi and welcome, bit harsh, replacing your wife with the corsa vxr, lol.
        LOL, yeah I read it like that too!

Hi Alex, welcome to the site.

Well to answer some of your questions....

1. As you say the contis won't last long. I got 6400 miles out of the first set of fronts! However, that is with a lot of A and B road fun. I make the most of that great grip available hence a fast wear rate. Another owner who is up and down the motorway has got just under 20k from the first set! I personally am changing to Toyos next. This is what the VXR Performance Centre use and a few people have recommended.

2. I think 800 miles is probably okay for a run in. 500 to a 1k miles I think.

3. As for remaps, well I have a stage 1 VXR Performance Centre remap and can't recommend it enough. Totally changes the car with a big increase in performance. It makes a really good car even better believe it or not. A Stage 1 is about £550. A stage 2 includes a full Milltek exhaust system but this is £1100!!

As for TopGear, you're so right!!

Ian

Comment

Question 1, Stick with the contis, superb all round performance will last in excess of 12000 miles please ignore Ians comments I think he has been doing to many donuts in reverse. The toyos are a budget tyre which will have fantastic grip through the summer months not so good for the winter and compound is much softer so will wear much quicker than the contis I think Ian will be lucky to see 3000 miles with the toyos.
          Question 2, The run in, the engine is fully run in on a bench prior to fitting 500 miles is plenty to ensure that all the mechanical stuff is working and lubricated.
          Question 3, If price is a major problem then the stage one is the way to go about £500 or less, The stage two including the Miltek or an alternative hi flow sports cat exhaust will cost about £1800 or less
          Question 4, Get as much training as you can, upgrading the driver is in many cases the cheapest way to improve your cars performance.

Comment

Originally posted by S3 VXR
            please ignore Ians comments I think he has been doing to many donuts in reverse.
            Cheeky git!! :wink:

Comment

Welcome to the site

The guys have answered most of your questions.

But, in answer to question 4 we will be running a Rolling road and driver day very soon.

Any additional driving tuition will help and none of us are too old or so experienced so as to not be able learn something and that includes me, so your thoughts are spot on. I think S3 VXR comments are very right. We all have a our performance envelope and as things change we need to expand that envelope. Drivers are not really born they are trained.

The day is likely to take the shape of RR session and 1/2 hour on the road drive. In 1/2 there is know way someone could chnage those habits but perhaps some constructive comments could be given if anything sticks out.

There is a thread for you to add your name if you fancy it. There will of course be a charge for the RR but the driving session is likely to be an added value service.

Hope thats helps

Comment

Many thanks to all of your for the feedback and advice. Think I will stick with the Conti's as most seem to agree on the abilities of the tires. Will probably look into having the Stage 1 upgrade applied in the next few months - money permitting maybe even the stage 2.

Sounds like I should be good to go with the full force approach now, so will have fun going down to Newcastle tommorow.

Sparky, thanks for the comments on the driver day, would definately be interested so will have a look out for the thread you mentioned - hopefully I will be able to come along.

Ps. Just let my brother have a shot of the car. He was very cynnical about me getting it, Volvo man, and couldn't understand why I wanted such a powerful beast. However a trip down the bypass at midnight just sorted that and he left the car with a massive grin on his face - it really is a 'fun' car to drive (even though he didn't go above 80).

Comment

Sparky could you let me know the thread as I haven't been able to find it yet, thanks in advance.

Comment

this is what you are looking for
                    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/messagebo...opic.php?t=424

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Agree with all the answers, but would not class Toyo`s as a budget tyre, I had them on my Vectra SRi, same size as the VXR 19`s and £160 each, but boy do they stick, and in the winter they come into their own, they are probably the best wet weather tyre money can buy, they stuck to wet roads as good as dry, they are what is going on mine as soon as these ones wear out (which probably won`t be long *lol*)

Comment

Originally posted by Bainie
                          Agree with all the answers, but would not class Toyo`s as a budget tyre, I had them on my Vectra SRi, same size as the VXR 19`s and £160 each, but boy do they stick, and in the winter they come into their own, they are probably the best wet weather tyre money can buy, they stuck to wet roads as good as dry, they are what is going on mine as soon as these ones wear out (which probably won`t be long *lol*)
                          Have to fully agree on the Toyo's. I will be sticking them on mine ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                          X