This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confused

i thought the vxr was 240 at the wheels???

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/g...%3D0%26toc%3D1

No, it's 237bhp at the flywheel. I don't know what the standard is at the wheels though. Probably shows it on Thorney's graph!

None of the graphs show 237 because 237 is measured directly from the engine on a dyno rather than a rolling road. Power is lost thru the transmission and other stuff connected to the engine in the car so that figure won't be achieved on a rolling road.

Hope that answers the question?

Comment

I understand all that i just thought that hp figures on cars were at the wheels. Does this mean that all cars are measured at the crank or where ever and not the wheels. E.g. is the 230 ps rx-8 only 230 at the crank not the wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbluevxr
        I understand all that i just thought that hp figures on cars were at the wheels. Does this mean that all cars are measured at the crank or where ever and not the wheels. E.g. is the 230 ps rx-8 only 230 at the crank not the wheels.
        Yes I believe it is. All figures in this country are quote at the flywheel I believe.

Comment

Ian is spot on. Power is meaasured at the crank otherwise there would not be a static figure. A manufacturer may place the same engine in a number of vehicles with different transmissions and setups and this would fog the whole specifications. Also often the figure is on super unleaded and with a few 1000 miles on the clock to show a bedded in engine.
          ( I did hear that the old Vectra V6 was measured with 25k on the clock but not sure this is true)
          You can expect to loose approx anywhere between 30-50 BHP through the trans for 2 wheel drive and near on 60 bhp for a 4 wheel drive, but this are approx figures.

The 240 is PS figure not a BHP figure (PS divide by 1.01 for BHP).

Comment

Working...
          X