X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Economy

Hi guys and girls,
    I've had my Astra VXR now for 1 month and I think it's the best looking car on the road. I had a really good look around and took plenty of test drives. Personally, nothing compared to the Astra VXR. I absolutely love it and always have a smile on my face when getting in and starting up! As I said, best looking car on the road.

The only downer I can see is the fuel economy, this is the only sports car I have owned so maybe this isn't a big thing (maybe normal). What do you think though? Your views please.

Lee

Re: Fuel Economy

Originally posted by SILVERVXR_LEE
    Hi guys and girls,
    I've had my Astra VXR now for 1 month and I think it's the best looking car on the road. I had a really good look around and took plenty of test drives. Personally, nothing compared to the Astra VXR. I absolutely love it and always have a smile on my face when getting in and starting up! As I said, best looking car on the road.

The only downer I can see is the fuel economy, this is the only sports car I have owned so maybe this isn't a big thing (maybe normal). What do you think though? Your views please.

Lee
    Unfortunately its the price we all pay for the performance - no such thing as a free lunch
    Taking it easy on long motorway run with SPORT OFF can return 32mpg on a decent trip.
    Being a bit naughty with a Boxster means you sometimes think you can actually see the fuel guage move :?
    sigpic

Comment

Run it on the Super UL like OPTIMAX this helps a bit on the econnomy.

drive a bit slower and try not to boot it over 3500.
      nice steady acceleration upto 3000 then change.
      run with the AC off
      drive with window closed
      dont have the radio on
      one person in the car
      correct tire pressures
      never let enginge get cold (fit a coolant heater)

All the above will help but it'll be a boring car. so just enjoy it if you've never had a sports car with a turbo before you may need to relearn how to drive it as its different to a NA car.

Comment

I had two 2.2 coupes before my VXR, and on normal adhoc driving it isn't much different - about 1 to 2 mpg less, but the performance difference is much greater than you would think for this small drop in mpg.

Where the two differ is on motorway runs. In the 2.2 I could nudge up to 44 mpg but with the vxr I struggled the other day to push 37, but I had to be so careful to get this.

It is a price you pay but given the performance of these cars, I think the mpg is very good. I find that even ragging the vxr the mpg doesn't drop much below 25/26.

I wish you many miles of happy motoring.

Comment

So far I've done around 1500 miles in mine and managed an average of 30.2 MPG overall. This has included some sensible trips, plus some where I was pegging it at around 120mph for a while. Biggest dip is when you pop the foot down and it'll go down to 7-8pmg, but as long as you then ease once at desired speed the mpg will level out to a managable 25-30mpg dependant on speed.

Compared with my old 1.2 Corsa I've only lost around 6-9 mpg as I used to drive it hard and as fast as it would go so I'm more than happy with the power compared to fuel eco.

Comment

Thanks Guys, you've made me feel a little better

Comment

i I average between 28-31 mpg when driving around Sheffield and the Rotherham area.. when driving on motors ways ive seen 33 mpg b4 but thats just normal..
              I've been told it will go higher so when i drive back to Germany on Friday night via Dover/ Calais, I’m going to drive light footed and between 70-80 mph, to see how high I can get the mpg an see how far a tank will take me..
              Then my plan for the other side of the water was... I was going to borrow my mate handheld GPS and get a GPS top speed reading because people have been saying that the Speedo doesn’t read accurately at the top speed so you dont really know what you are doing.… that idea has just gone out the window because my mate wont let me have his gps because he wont see it till Christmas when I come back…shame would have been interesting to see the out come.. oh well may be next time
              my build thread - http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=90714

Comment

I did a bit of an experiment last week to see what mpg i could get. I live in Liverpool and work in Manchester. It's about a 75 mile round trip. JUst keeping up with the traffic and not going over 80 i got 34.4 mpg. I was bored by wednesday morning though. I soon had it in to the high twenties... :P

Comment

Working...
                X