This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Performance Upgrades, a comforting word

When I first bought a scooby back in 2001 (Last of the classic shape) it took me all of about 3 weeks to start looking at performance mods. The scooby scene was very similar to the VXR scene at the moment i.e New, enthusiastic, fresh.
    The same went for the dealers and aftermarket suppliers. After a few years, interest wained, the dealers were more interested in selling Legacys and Foresters and all the bedroom "tuning experts" had decided to call it a day.
    The Dealer/Warranty paranoia related to tuning had well and truly been dismissed as dealers honoured warranty claims that were blatantly caused by poor aftermarket performance upgrades.
    At present, it seems that the VXR brand is well looked after, by the likes of Thorney, Milltek, etc........ which is nice............. beware though as it won't be long before the bedroom tuners appear.
    I have seen evidence on this site of the poor unsuspecting types that will fall for these traders. Typically people who want £1,000 worth of equipment for £300.
    I'm NOT saying that the top end suppliers are taking the Michael, nor that all of the bedroom suppliers are rubbish, but if you wait for about 12 months, you will see a breed of aftermarket supplier start to emerge. The ones that charge "reasonable" prices, guarantee results/service/whatever and offer performance enhancing modifications that are safe for the car.

How do I know? When I bought the Scoob, the first thing I did was the exhaust. I was worried about emmissions and failing MOT's etc and also affecting the cars warranty, so only did the back box.
    Ker Ching £660 notes.
    I then took the cat out of the centre section about 2 months later as I realised I wouldn't need an MOT for the first 3 years
    Ker Ching £285.
    Then the down pipe needed changing and the last cat removing
    Ker Ching £305.

Then the ECU needed remapping to account for the now cat less scoob Ker Ching £550

£1250 + VAT for an exhaust pipe
    £550 + VAT for a re map
    £1,800 + VAT = £2115

I sold the scooby last week and just out of interest I thought, "I wonder how much those mods would cost now, using reputable aftermarket garages............. £780 & VAT AND they valet your car afterwards

I think the point that I am trying to make is, you don't/won't always have to pay High prices for what can only be considered simple upgrades. An exhaust is an exhaust (A pipe with some resonator chambers and maybe some cats and a silencer of some sort. Bent generally by machine carefully to try and avoid disrupting the air flow exit speed blah blah blah)
    A remap is a remap (Changing operating perameters (Yes you DO need to know what you are on about here) within GIVEN limits. Like manually adjusting an EQ on a stereo) Intercoolers, Dump Valves, Bigger Turbo's, Actuators, restrictors, Boost Controllers, Gauges, Oils, Fuel, It's all coming and I hope we have alot of fun.

Great post and food for thought. I know I can get wrapped up in all of this very quickly and can't wait to spend the bank's money. Your thoughts kind of bring you back down to earth and can save on those expensive interest payments.

Comment

VERY WISE WORDS , IDE HATE TO ADD UP THE AMOUNT IVE SPENT ON VARIOUS MODIFICATIONS OVER THE YEARS THAT YOU DONT GET BACK WHEN YOU SELL THE CAR

Comment

Working...
      X