This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Economy remap?

Can the VXR be remapped so that the output of the engine is such that it uses far less fuel, but with the sport button still has the option of full performance? If so any ideas of MPG?

Only asking because insurance is going to be £2200 3rd party only for me.

And yes, I did shop around!

Dave I think that the remap without the sport button might possibly give you a tiny improvement but probably not enough to be noticeable. With button on though

Comment

Sounds like a really good idea. Have full performance with Sport on, and Economy without.... Sadly for me living in London, I need an econ map, we dont drive more than 20mph!!

Maybe Thorney can verify if this is possible.

Comment

Are you financeing the Car with Gmac or who ever because if u are then i wouldnt recommend 3rd party insurnace

Infact how could you justify to yourself 3rd party on a 20k car

Comment

£2200 3rd party? & 3rd party is daft on a new VXR imo....

Comment

well it's just that living in NI insurance premiums are silly, due to the claiming society we have over here. A few days ago some family of chavs (called spides/steeks over here) decided to sue my mum for hitting a child who decided it was a good idea to sprint across a dual carriage way, even though he was cautioned by the police. Comprehensive would cost me £3500+ and financially that's not possible, and fuel prices being what they are are really a problem for the VXR unfortunately

Am buying straight (with help from student loan!).

Will just have to drive carefully!

Thanks for all your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by Jom
              £2200 3rd party? & 3rd party is daft on a new VXR imo....
              Have to agree, nothing sadder than walking away from your write off with nothing more than a bill for the recovery of your car.

Comment

Assumably different rules over there but I didn't think a new car could be insuranced as 3rd party only?????

Anyway, I was going to have the ECO map from VXR PC. However, having gone out in their car and seen the way I drove, they recommended the 'aggressive' map. They said I would just keep sport mode on all the time as it would be too boring - I think they were right too. Even with the 'aggressive' map I do like that sport button on a lot!!

With a car like this I don't think it is possible to drive eco unless you really can control that urge to press the loud pedal. It's difficult, very difficult.

I'm was getting 26mpg (same as before the remap). However, I'm 'playing' more now and it's down to 23mpg!

Comment

So VXR PC do do a economy remap then? Whats sort of MPG difference does it make, and how much slower will the car be?

Comment

Originally posted by SiFire
                    So VXR PC do do a economy remap then? Whats sort of MPG difference does it make, and how much slower will the car be?
                    I don't know I'm afraid. Best to give Dave a call and ask him. Phone number is 0870 242 4334. Bare in mind they are very very busy at the moment so if there is no answer keep trying!

Comment

What a big mistake you are making? Dont do it. If you can't afford it just don't do it....

This really is silly... Im paying 620 fully comp and I would not pay any more.... I cant afford any more.... How can you justify your expenditure?

All it takes is one person a bit late on the brakes and your car is SHUNTED!!!!!! Have you thought of this?

Comment

Eco sport

Eco sport Map is available for Astra VXR, but to be honest most people find the car flat with the button off, Fuel economy improves but the temtation to put the button on is greater. I would suggest you drive a little differently to get more economy, ie short shift and let the torque roll the car on gently.

certainly wouldnt go for 3rd party insurance on a new car, and most finance companies will state it has to be fully comp to get the finance approved.

Comment

The best option for this is fron Vauxhall.

A.P.R.I.L. £104.00

Even with the sport mode on its still better than a std one on fuel. but the done side is that the boy's on the scooterpeds will burn you off the lights and whoop you down the street.

Comment

I'm not buying new, will be spending close to 15k and like I said it won't be with a finance deal, unless you count the student loan as that.

The risk is only if I wrote the car off AND it was my fault Police_Driver and in 4 years of driving I've never been close to causing an accident so tbh I don't really think it's as daft as all you are making out, but I'm not ignorant of the fact it is a gamble :P

There's no point in me sitting with 15k in the bank with a full time job when I really don't have anything else major to buy, won't need a deposit on a house for at least a couple of years anyway.

I'm just going to bite the bullet and try to enjoy my life :P but I appreciate all your empathetic concern

On a side note, it is just accepted over here that that's how much you have to pay for insurance, for a "normal" car a typical quote for someone like me would be roughly £2200 comp, but my job gets me a good discount so that's how I can justify the expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
                              I'm not buying new, will be spending close to 15k and like I said it won't be with a finance deal, unless you count the student loan as that.

The risk is only if I wrote the car off AND it was my fault Police_Driver and in 4 years of driving I've never been close to causing an accident so tbh I don't really think it's as daft as all you are making out, but I'm not ignorant of the fact it is a gamble :P
                              Same Gamble I took, however had been driving for 15 years no accidents, and then came across a large Hailstorm on a dual carriageway, did not hit any other cars, lost control like the 200-300 other people in the vacinity and smashed the car into the central reservation, Write off, nobodys fault, no barriers to pay for as act of god, no prosecutions, and no claiming cos the £1000 worth of car was not worth it. Now my wife and kids were in the car what value for them ? Guess you will tell all your passengers that you are only insured 3rd party and if you do have an accident they will have to make a civil claim against you for what you have done to them. I found out the hard way, so too can you if you wish just give it another thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X