This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticking brake pads . . . .

Anyone ever had a problem with sticking brake pads which seem to catch and make intermittent scraping noises as you drive along?? I ask because its the last unusual noise my car makes that i've yet to find a culprit for. Had my mechanic jack it up and spin the offending wheel, and you can definitely hear a scraping noise at irregular intermittent intervals, its very faint, sometimes doesn't do it at all, in fact most people wouldn't even notice it, and it does not affect the cars performance at all (brakes have all been checked and are all fine, although my mechanic did have to put in a lot more effort to remove the brake pad on the offending wheel). It's at its most annoying when cruising with the window down (the only real time where it can be noticed to any extent). Drives me bonkers thinking about it! Anyone experienced a similar problem, or have any idea what else, if anything, could be causing the scraping?

cheers, . . . . phew
    W20 ADM's led Lighting shop, see link below for details
    http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-lighting-shop

If your mechanic had trouble removing the pad, there is your answer. Get the brakes stripped down, clean everything using a stiff wire brush, using emery paper where needed (contact points of the pads to the carrier), re-assemble with copper slip. Im sure all will be good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by LGB View Post
      If your mechanic had trouble removing the pad, there is your answer. Get the brakes stripped down, clean everything using a stiff wire brush, using emery paper where needed (contact points of the pads to the carrier), re-assemble with copper slip. Im sure all will be good to go.
      he cleaned out the pad and caliper with wire brush mate, seems to have had a small effect, but it still does it.

Comment

If its sticking in the carrier then thats all it can be, pads cannot grow, neither can the carrier. Corrosion/filth will cause them to stick. The only other thing it could be is a sticking piston in the caliper itself, but that wouldn't cause the pads to stick in the carrier.

Pads are meant to touch the disc slightly so some noise is to be expected. Cheap pads can be harder which will make more noise.
        Last edited by LGB; 30 May 2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

If its sticking in the carrier then thats all it can be, pads cannot grow, neither can the carrier. Corrosion/filth will cause them to stick. The only other thing it could be is a sticking piston in the caliper itself, but that wouldn't cause the pads to stick in the carrier.

Pads are meant to touch the disc slightly so some noise is to be expected. Cheap pads can be harder which will make more noise.
          thinking about changing the pads, see if that does anything.

Comment

changing the pads will not solve the problem. It may be that the carrier/calliper has moved slightly. i would advise taking the wheel off and taking the pads out. then make sure that the disc is central to the calliper, if its slightly off to one side then this is why it would be sticking

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
              changing the pads will not solve the problem. It may be that the carrier/calliper has moved slightly. i would advise taking the wheel off and taking the pads out. then make sure that the disc is central to the calliper, if its slightly off to one side then this is why it would be sticking
              What might cause the caliper/carrier to move?

Comment

Its very unlikely, i cant for the life of me see how that would happen, something would have to be bent.

As ive already said, the brakes need to be stripped down and thoroughly cleaned. Not just wire brush the area the pad sits in, without removing the carrier.

If that doesn't fix it, whoever strips the brakes down should know whats up.

Comment

Are you sure it's not the metal guard behind the brake disc? I managed to squeeze mine when doing the front brakes and it made a scraping noise. You can flex it with your fingers easily.
                  Nova 1.6 16v TB's DTA 1/4mile 14.8s

Comment

Dunno, could be. It tends to aggrevate with more enthusiastic driving. . .

Comment

Got to be worth a look, you can flex it away from the disc without jacking the car up

On cars I've had in the past the guard would only catch with more steering lock, which is odd but there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by Phazer View Post
                        Got to be worth a look, you can flex it away from the disc without jacking the car up

On cars I've had in the past the guard would only catch with more steering lock, which is odd but there you go.
                        Defo worth a look, this has happend to me in the past also! Same unusual symptoms. So annoying, quick fix tho. Hope you get sorted mate!

Comment

I'll have a gander tomorrow, hopefully sort it once and for all.

Comment

Its very unlikely, i cant for the life of me see how that would happen, something would have to be bent.

As ive already said, the brakes need to be stripped down and thoroughly cleaned. Not just wire brush the area the pad sits in, without removing the carrier.

If that doesn't fix it, whoever strips the brakes down should know whats up.
                            unlikely agreed but a possibility. there is only one bolt holding the calliper onto the carrier, this only need to have worked loose or if the brakes have previous been stipped / new ones put on and moved slightly over time due to being re-assembled wrong. its worth a look.

the '**** guard' as there known could be cuausing the problem and is what people have referred to above, good luck moving it by hand as its a thick wedge of steel, if you can cut them off as they have to come off when you have bigger brakes on. if you have standard brakes these should not be causing the problem. also the guards only tend to ctach when turning and not when driving stright.

Comment

Originally posted by Jay View Post
                              the '**** guard' as there known could be cuausing the problem and is what people have referred to above, good luck moving it by hand as its a thick wedge of steel, if you can cut them off as they have to come off when you have bigger brakes on. if you have standard brakes these should not be causing the problem. also the guards only tend to ctach when turning and not when driving stright.
                              Have to disagree, they flex quite easily despite being thick. It can only be a mm or 2 that is the difference between catching and not. The one on mine was catching driving straight but you don't tend to hear it much, but as said above on previous cars it's always been when turning.

Comment

Working...
                              X