X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem @ high revs ... ?

Hi everyone,

I recently went to a local tuner to have my car mapped.
    The car is equiped with:
    CDTI airbox
    full Bastuck 70mm exhaust with sport cat
    high flow plenum
    iridium spark plugs
    Regal diverter valve
    uprated FMIC
    Regal inlet cam

Here are the results:
    blue - standard map
    red - tuned map

My tuner told me there me bust something wrong because the standard map shouldn't give that sort of result assuming the inlet cam and all the perf parts installed.
    The car would be much more rev happy and the power should be sustained higher through the rev range.

After tuning the map, he told me quite the same thing ...
    We can see the power growing through the rev range untill 5000rpm and then remaining constant instead of pulling harder up the red line

My tuner verified all the sensors he can, everything is fine, the boost is good and well sustained through revs, the ignition is good. He told me to check the timing belt and it's fine too.

I've send a few mail to Regal but still no answer about what could be my problem so I'm turning up to you and hop someone can help me

As info, my tuner told me he made 3 other VXR in such same set up, except the IC and all made around 305Hp ... so mine should be at least 305Hp as well ... he even told me it should raise up through 310Hp normally.

If anybody can help me it would be grateful because I have no idea what I could be

Power flat lining after 5k is normal for the standard turbo as its getting to its limit.

What intercooler do you have and what do other people use? Size specification pipe work etc?

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

The IC is the one from HHK international.
      The size seems to be the same as the courts one, the pipe work is 60mm.

The 3 other Astra the tuner mapped were standard IC, the same set up as mine except it, and all managed about 305Hp.
      What do you think about my standard curve ? a bit erratic no ? and such a fall off of the power after 6000rpm even with the cam ?

If it can help, I have the figures of the Astra of a friend which has only a 3" Miltek full decat with forge valve and the standard curve doesn't fall like that (and he doesn't have the cam to help !)
      With such a setup, I though I could manage over 300Hp ... and so the tuner did !

Comment

By adding a cam and larger intercooler and throttle body you've completely changed the flow properties of your engine. Sounds more like your map isn't right for the setup. All of this creates a large space for the turbo to fill up. If the turbo is stressed and is trying to overspeed to make the required boost then you'll get some irratic power delivery. Also throttle closures.
        Last edited by Rabbid; 31 May 2011, 11:05 AM.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

My map wasn't right for the setup before mapping am I right ?

But if the car is mapped, then everything should be good no ?
          I mean, the car is quite powerful but, in my opinion (and the one of the tuner), with such a setup it should give more than that !

A thing I've felt and that I'm sure: before IC and cam, the car was working much better.
          I explain ... a friend of mine, already mapped, tried to run against my car before IC and cam. He was ahead but not much. Starting @ 110Km /H in 3rd gear and puling until 5th gear, his rear bumper was just sitting near my front one.
          After fitting these parts, we've tried again ... Starting @ 110Km/H in 3rd gear, he went straight ahead and finished, in 5th gear, at about 2 or 3 cars ahead.

All these tests were made in the same area, @ night with the same setup for him.

Oh and another thing I'm thinking about: before IC and cam, the car was much more rev happy and hit the rev limiter easily (even if that's not what I'm looking for but just to mention it) instead of now where it's hard to get over 6300/6600rpm without feeling "slow"

What do you mean by throttle closures ? (sorry but I don't know much in mechanic)

Comment

The standard map wasn't designed for any of this hardware. You're map doesn't appear correct for the hardware you have either.

EDS quite happily get 315PS from cam and intercooler.

Perhaps also you might have a boost leak? Are you sure your intercooler doesn't have a hole in it or a pipe loose?

Maybe its actuator setup?

What boost is your car making, and what is it supposed to be making?

Clique #14

Comment

Well, the car has been mapped by Digitronic based on EDS map
              The tuner verified each sensor to see if there was one faulty -> no prob
              He verified the boost -> Well sustained through revs
              Ignition -> everything right ...

I've asked him if it could be a leak he told me he would have seen it ... The same if it was an actuator prob
              Concerning the boost if I'm right it's running 1.5 or 1.6bar, just how he mapped it

Comment

Well, the car has been mapped by Digitronic based on EDS map
                The tuner verified each sensor to see if there was one faulty -> no prob
                He verified the boost -> Well sustained through revs
                Ignition -> everything right ...

I've asked him if it could be a leak he told me he would have seen it ... The same if it was an actuator prob
                Concerning the boost if I'm right it's running 1.5 or 1.6bar, just how he mapped it

Comment

Its supposed to be around 1.4 bar overboost holding 1.1-1.2bar

Sounds like far to much boost for my liking!

Clique #14

Comment

After mapping 1.2 bar !?
                    Before mapping I had 1.2 overboost and around 1bar holding

Comment

Yes 1.4 over to 1.2 holding.

Standard is 1.2 over holding 0.9

Clique #14

Comment

Ok I'll ask the tuner ...
                        But what about the figure ? A bit low for this setup no ?
                        I've seen you have the same setup ... How much hp you have ?
                        Who tuned it ?

What can I do to get it right !?

Comment

Working...
                        X