This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 285 ipf overboost map goes bang

Well i told my friend to wait to get the actuator set up correctly but he phoned regal and they said its fine to load this map on the car with no adjusments....1 week later engine has gone bang....looking into reasons why and it looks like to much boost and running lean through the whole rev range, think regal need to advise customers a bit better

Interesting to know, hope you get it sorted.

But first do you have any evidence to lean running or to much boost? Because this is either true or very bad co-insodence.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

im not really a technical guy mate just going from the chat we had last night he works with cateram mechanics near hinckley so they are looking at the engine now, he did have a boost reading and was overboosting at 26 and holding at 23 if that makes any sense? he is just going to rebuild i think in he lunch breaks

Comment

Well this is the exact same thing that happened to mine after running that map for a month. I've never said it was the map as I have no proof. But consistant readings of 26psi from this map on several cars which is going to put of stress on those conrods. Does sort of point fingers at the map.

Fueling isn't really whats going to make a rod pop out the block.

Since you're having a rebuild it maybe worth investing in some uprated conrods which is what I did.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

yes mate think thats whats hes going to do, he had a little moan but then said well thats tuning for you so bite the bullet and start again...like you say having proof would be nice but many other factors could contribute...

Comment

I know, I just got on and fixed it. Took it as perhaps I just had a weaker rod since the day the car was made that finally gave way under the extra torque.

But since then I'm worried that we'll be seeing a few more engines popping if there is actually a problem with overboosting on this map.

Feel free to message me if you want to know anything more about my rebuild.

Clique #14

Comment

Here was what happened with mine: http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-Not-So-Strong

I've not updated it with the car running but all was completed.

Clique #14

Comment

thats going to be helpful ill pas the info on thankyou, hope yours all goes ok;~)

Comment

Well about 2,500 miles on new engine so far. I've switched map to the 315PS as I now have the inlet cam fitted.

Clique #14

Comment

thats good then what are you boosting/holding at with that map then?

Comment

22 overboost, though need to really check it closer on the road.

Clique #14

Comment

That's what my car was reading when i tried the map. It stayed on for 3 minutes until I could get the car back home and the map off!
                        sigpic

EDS Inlet Manifold, Thermal Gasket, EDS Inlet Cam, EVOMS Diverter Valve, Forge FMIC, Quaife ATB, Custom 3" Turbo Back, Whiteline RARB, Uprated FARB, AP Racing Brakes, Percy CDTi Airbox Conversion, Oil Breather Box, Dap-r Springs, Bilstein B8's, CS Brake Cooling Ducts, Cool Running Thermo, CS Uprated Radiator

Comment

I have the 285 map on mine but have no idea of what it's boosting at. Will it show me on my printout?

Comment

Either get your car dyno'd with boost readings on it.
                            Fit a boost gauge perminently or temporarily
                            Use tech 2 or ***** to read pressure as you drive.

Clique #14

Comment

Also to the OP:

What level of tune were you running with this map, how old/milage is the engine in total and how long tuned?

Clique #14

Comment

Working...
                              X