This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• chrome strip spraying

doing chrome strip at moment how long between coats of gloss black iv put two on so far got a few runs not thick ones tho and some spray maks that r not as glossy as the rest? am i best letting dry over night and rubbing down runs? or just giving 15 mins and spraying again?

Runs will need a light rub down to get shut of them so leave over night and have another go tomorrow. or do a few more coats first just to get some practice then leave over night and rubdown.

www.courtenaysport.co.uk/ For all your tuning needs

Comment

If you want a really glossy finish it is always best to cover with a clear coat lacquer after painting the black. Will give a far better shine

James

sigpic
      MY14 Corsa Burg, "REX" , Burg #452

Comment

sorry to hijack but what prep work is needed to ensure the paint sticks when spraying the chrome trim? thinking of doing my boot strip at some time.

Comment

Originally posted by vxrdave View Post
          Runs will need a light rub down to get shut of them so leave over night and have another go tomorrow. or do a few more coats first just to get some practice then leave over night and rubdown.
          its so hard doing gloss black from a can if its not runs its the spray leaving a almost matt finish!! think iv cracked it tonight tho

Originally posted by insanejim69 View Post
          If you want a really glossy finish it is always best to cover with a clear coat lacquer after painting the black. Will give a far better shine

James

yeah got a couple of tins how many coats and how long between coats??

Comment

You can do the lacquer about an hour after doing the black, apply medium coats of lacquer enough to make the clear coat flow over the part in question so that it leaves a very glossy finish. I reckon about 15 - 20 mins between coats of lacquer. I am away to re do my strip tomorrow and intend on doing around 5-6 coats of lacquer to help protect the black better.

To help avoid flaking from the edges in the future also remember and lacquer the whole strip and even going onto the back of it slightly so to fully cover the edges + more.

Shewy - Prep work is very important, some people say to remove all the chrome. But me personally when I done mines almost 18 months ago (and it still looks great) I just really scuffed up the chrome using 80-120 sand paper. Then bought some plastic etch primer, which is key as it will do what it says on the tin, it will etch into the surface of the chrome strip. Giving a great surface to start painting onto Hope this helps.

James

sigpic
            MY14 Corsa Burg, "REX" , Burg #452

Comment

Working...
            X