X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xenons - the facts and straight talking please

Hi all,

I know this is all asked alot so I'm sorry to ask again, but I've read and searched everything I can and I'm still confused.
    Please could one of you VXR gurus clear up a few questions I have about fitting xenons?

1. Do Vauxhall offer a full conversion to bi-xenon with auto-levelling? How much?
    2. If you get some conversion kit (confused with all the H numbers needed??!!) will it fail MOT? Official answers please - not whether they're unlikely to check or not.
    3. What do I need kit wise to give me same lights as my clio 182 had? I want to know every single bit I need to fit. Prices for this setup?
    4. Do most VXRs come with working headlight washers?

I hope this makes sense but I'm struggling to work out what exactly what is needed.
    Basically I want what I had before...
    Blue/white lights that I can actually see from
    I want them to auto-level
    no particularly bothered about the AFL stuff but from what I have read it's required for auto-levelling.

Many Thanks!!

Paul
    Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE
    Hello EVO 9 FQ-340 (now 420 BHP/ 430 ft-lb/s)

I also looked at this option but seams to much hassle TBH, i just went for a better bulb called something like Ringsport blue.

They look just like the xenons on a 182 I dont have any pictures i am afraid

Comment

Cheers Cobers.. I was leaning towards 'way to much flaming hassle' myself too. I'm looking up the bulbs as I finishing typing this. If anyone has links to bulbs I need please feel free to pipe up
      Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Are these ring sport blue things road legal? I'd like road legal.

Cheers,

Paul
        Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Im not 100% sure they are but i have never been pulled or never failed an mot with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobers VXR View Post
            They look just like the xenons on a 182 I dont have any pictures i am afraid
            photos please
            Originally posted by Bobbyp90
            I am pretty awesome.
            BOOM
            the Moaning Mod

Clique No: 7

Comment

1) No retro factory fit option, the kit is probably available to buy in bits and bobs and then be fitted and activated but will cost an arm and a leg that way.
              2) HID kits have always been illegal without washers and levelling, they will now become a MOT fail from 2012
              3) dont know sorry
              4) headlight washers are only fitted to the the xenon equipped vehicles.
              Last edited by moeman; 2 June 2011, 03:14 PM.

my VXR history: Arden Corsa, Astra Nurburgring, Corsa Arctic, Evoke VXR8, Black Corsa, Silver Vectra, a long weekend with an Insignia, a chilli burger and now a siggy tourer!

Comment

thanks for all the answers moeman. uprated bulbs it is instead then. If anyone has any recommendations on bulbs that are bit brighter and whiter and legal - please make suggestions.

Thanks,

Paul
                Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Will these fit? http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=25
                  Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

the afl' are night and day over the normal head lights, in performance and looks. The gloss black afls look the dogs. Hella do an upgrade with out the left and right stuff, not sure about auto level. Only afl cars come with the washers too
                    VXR gone Audi A6 Avant - Le Mans in
                    http://www.forgemotorsport.co.uk/ PROUD TO BE A RUDE YORKSHIRE IDIOT SINCE 1981!

Comment

I have a HID kit fitted but no afl or hella's, cost about £50 and they work fantastic. running 6000k bulbs and the light does not blind other drivers and look safe to use even tho they are illegal if stopped and questioned by the law or MOT station.

Obsessed is a word that the lazy use to describe the dedicated!

Comment

Hi all,

I know this is all asked alot so I'm sorry to ask again, but I've read and searched everything I can and I'm still confused.
                        Please could one of you VXR gurus clear up a few questions I have about fitting xenons?

1. Do Vauxhall offer a full conversion to bi-xenon with auto-levelling? How much?

No, Vauxhall do not do a kit that you can out straight into your car. As said previously you will have to surce the bits needed and fit them. This is very simple. Vauxhalll sell three types of headlights for the Astra.

1) the normal halogen ones
                        2) bi-xwnon lights - these do not move but look like afl lights
                        3) afl lights - these have all the moving parts necesssary fore them to move

the bi xenon light shells cost around £250 each, so £500 for the pair. Then you will need a HID kit when can be brought of the internet. The lights have all the mounts for the ballast packs etc. I would suggest getting the HID kit from Vauxhall so make things easier but you will really pay out the backside with them for this. Once installed the car will need to be tech 2'd to tell it, it has xenons / HID's and job done. It's not hard, i did it.

2. If you get some conversion kit (confused with all the H numbers needed??!!) will it fail MOT? Official answers please - not whether they're unlikely to check or not.

At the moment no however MOT laws are said to be changing meaning that they have to have the headlight washers fitted, which most people dont have when they have retro fitted them.

3. What do I need kit wise to give me same lights as my clio 182 had? I want to know every single bit I need to fit. Prices for this setup?

2 x bi-xenon light shells - around £500
                        HID kit - Around £200
                        Tech 2 - Around £50 depending

the rest of the bulbs etc from your standard lights such as indiicator and main beam can be pput into the new lights.

4. Do most VXRs come with working headlight washers?

No, only cars with afl come with the working headlight washers. Again these can be retro fitted but not many have bothered as yet and i dont know the prices or work involved.

I hope this makes sense but I'm struggling to work out what exactly what is needed.
                        Basically I want what I had before...
                        Blue/white lights that I can actually see from

I want them to auto-level

Forget auto levelling, as your car didnt come out the factory with afl the wiring isnt in place to retro fit this and can be ALOT of work to do. i only know of one person that did this but had massive electronics knowledge. Most retro fit and dont bother with the auto levelling, cant say ive missed it.

no particularly bothered about the AFL stuff but from what I have read it's required for auto-levelling.

AFL stands for Adaptive Foward Lighting meaning that the lights move slightly around coners, adjust if the car is full and sitting lower and raises the lights when at motorway speeds. This is all part of the auto levelling system and as said above cant really be retro fitted.

Many Thanks!!

Paul

Comment

Wow thanks Jay - just the info I needed! Clear and precise! You have some serious knowledge!
                          Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Originally posted by zefal View Post
                            Wow thanks Jay - just the info I needed! Clear and precise! You have some serious knowledge!
                            Cheers mate but its only what i have picked up. One thing i didnt mention is that you may or may not need a new wiring loom for the lights as the xenons require another / different earthing point. This is nothing major, it just clicks onto the end of the standard loom which then goes into the back of the light. With how things have moved on in 2 years since i did mine i dont know if aftermarket kits now require these or not when you buy a HID kit.

When i had mine done not many had retro fitted the lights.

I was lucky and managed to get a set of genuine VX bi-xenon lights with the bulbs and ballast pack etc. Then all i had to do was get the lights wired in using the fog lights as there was no other way to do it. This tricked the car into thinking xenons ernt installed and as the fogs dont run on the cambus system it didnt cut the power and wired in a couple of new earths. The downside was i lost the use of the fog lights.

As more and more people started to retro fit them new methods of doing so were found. I then got a new wiring loom made up meaning i could have my fogs back in as it contained the new earths and had the car tech 2's to tell it, it had xenons in and hey presto all worked fine.

There verious routes you can take just avoid buying any lights from Germany as they are set for right hand drive but appear more on their eBay then on ours, but you need the right stuff to do it properly.
                            Last edited by Jay; 3 June 2011, 06:35 AM.

Comment

jay seems to have explained it really well to you there
                              however i may have somethig that will interest you here

while i had my burg i planned on retro fitting the full AFL setup to it
                              i actually bought all the parts needed but never got the time to fit them before i sold the car

i still have all the bits required for the AFL fitment

both AFL headlights complete with control boxes
                              the AFL ecu with connector
                              rear axle level sensor with connector
                              also have the complete wiring loom for the lights minus the side repeaters (may be some useful connectors on it, like the washer plugs and headlamp with extra earth)

i also planned on fitting the headlamp washers while i was at it
                              the only thing i did buy was the pump for this (£70rrp) but i do have a list of all the other bits (inc part numbers) you would need if you were wanting to do that too
                              i'll throw the pump in with whoever buys the lights

they are not as hard to fit as most people think
                              as long as you are competent with a soldering iron and can find someone with tech 2 to switch it on once you're done (loads of guys on here) then you're fine
                              even if not i do know of one guy who is able to fit it all and program it for you

heres a site with all the info for the parts required - http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/2010/0...fl-headlights/
                              and heres a guide on how to fit them - http://www.diagnostics.org.uk/2010/0...-headlights-2/
                              although i must say ignore the bit about having a light switch minus the level control, you can use your original one by just unplugging the pin for the level control

if you're interested drop me a PM
                              Insignia SRi VX-Line RED
                              ^^Click here to see it^^

Comment

Working...
                              X