X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superchips stage 1

Hi All,

Me again

Can anyone tell me if superchips stage 1 is any good? I'm looking for a little more power and to smooth out delivery a bit. I don't want any new loud exhausts or intakes just the chip.

My boss superchipped (bluefin) his Golf GTI edition 30 and it make a world of difference and caused no issues on standard car (he's had it running 3 years now). Can I do the same for VXR? I do know it won't give me quite as much power as his 230 > 310 BHP jump. I know it probably won't get me the 282BHP they claim but will it give it a good boost and is it safe on standard VXR?

Thanks,

Paul
    Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE
    Hello EVO 9 FQ-340 (now 420 BHP/ 430 ft-lb/s)

The stage 1 is ok and i would expect to get about 260 out of it. The claim of 285 is with an exhaust.

A good stage to go if you didnt want to get a full exhuats is a stage 1 with a precat removal pipe, This will still easily pass the mot but just frees up the exhaust a tad.

I would presonally go to the tuner than just loading it on to make sure it is safe.

Comment

Right ok, thanks again cobers - tuner remap and pre-cat removal it is.
      Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

might just save for full exhaust and remap though (providing there is an 'almost as quiet as standard' exhaust... don't want anything loud and boomy.
        Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

I would recommend these

http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/astr...g/info_93.html

Stage 1.5 would be a great place for you to start but if its just the precat instead of the precat and cat back you will be looking about £700.

Comment

Originally posted by zefal View Post
            might just save for full exhaust and remap though (providing there is an 'almost as quiet as standard' exhaust... don't want anything loud and boomy.
            Keep you eye out for a used on on here they go for about £500 for a good system used, The Miltek is a good choice if you want a quiter exhaust thats what i have

Comment

If you have the flat spot at 4k revs i would recommend one of these as well http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/astr..._114.html#CDTi

Comment

The superchips map is what TMS use.

If you don't want a loud exhaust then there are quiet options of most systems. But precat pipe and remap is a good little setup and probably as far as I'd go before playing with handling mods etc first.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

thanks again
                  Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Zefal - I'm running the stage 1 superchips map (Thorney Bluefin), on an otherwise standard car.

Yes there is a noticable difference in the power delivery, and it takes a bit of getting used to. In 1st and 2nd gear it becomes very easy to spin the wheels if you give it 'the beans'! You soon get used to it though!

The map works off the sport button, so you can choose to disengage it too.

They recommend that you use 99 octane petrol with the re-map (which I have done). I've also noticed a small improvement in my average mpg as a result of both (27>28.3mpg).

The significant benefit of the bluefin, is the ability to remove the map whenever you like and return the car to standard (but I should say this is also the case with EDS and dreamscience units too).
                    Last edited by Dave_Young; 2 June 2011, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks all for you comments. Just got my Cruise Control and anti-hijack fitted tonight so I'm chuffed about that (many many thanks to arden_blue_vxr who came and did it for me at bargain price)

From all the research and questions, the next thing I'm going to do is:

Buy dump valve - I know I know - chavvy but I really want one
                      drive for a while and get used to VXR standard power
                      get Thorney (nearest me) supership remap - I like the fact you can turn off ad-hoc
                      then when money allows:

RARB and limited slip diff

Think I'll be happy for a good while then. If I get bored, I'll go stage 2 with full exhaust then.

Thanks All... loving this forum .. really is great
                      Stage 3 Arden Astra GONE

Comment

Originally posted by zefal View Post
                        Thanks all for you comments. Just got my Cruise Control and anti-hijack fitted tonight so I'm chuffed about that (many many thanks to arden_blue_vxr who came and did it for me at bargain price)

From all the research and questions, the next thing I'm going to do is:

Buy dump valve - I know I know - chavvy but I really want one
                        drive for a while and get used to VXR standard power
                        get Thorney (nearest me) supership remap - I like the fact you can turn off ad-hoc
                        then when money allows:

RARB and limited slip diff

Think I'll be happy for a good while then. If I get bored, I'll go stage 2 with full exhaust then.

Thanks All... loving this forum .. really is great

Cool cool i would get the LSD and RARB before the map

Comment

Working...
                        X