This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back end loose feeling

Im not sure if I can explain this but if I am travelling at speed (85mph for example) and hit the breaks quite hard the back end of the car often wiggles and feels quite loose. I can make the effect of this worse if I wiggle the steering a little but its done it several times even with just the steering at a very slight angle, back end just goes light. My brother mentioned it was just cause it was a bigger car (used to have corsa's) but I have never driven anything like it (his mk4 gsi turbo doesnt do it that I know of). Just wondering if this is normal or weather I should get my break balance checked out.

Hi Doug. That is prefectly normal because the weight is being transferred to the front of the car and making the backend of the car light.

It's all perfectly safe though as the electronics will handle it should it lose grip although I think unlikely unless cornering and braking hard at the same time. Braking should be done before the corner though.

Use the gearing with a little braking to slow the car up rather than full on braking where possible and this will help with the weight transfer.

I found it weird at first but I quite like the way the backend wiggles!

Comment

With IDS+ this effect does not occur, well not until 120 anyway !

Comment

yeah i guess is just normal then, im used to the back end going light on my 2.0 16v nova on the track but again this is due to weight transfer as the brakes are quite sharp and the back end is so light anyway.

Comment

Indeed I have the IDS+ and haven't experienced it, although I did manage it in the Corsa. Was on A68 and span it out braking too hard into a corner and pulling the steering. Same feeling, hit brakes and felt back try to kick, panicked and pulled the steering and spun 270 and ended up on side embankment (luckily level) with nothing more that a pair of brown pants to show for it thankfully.

Since then learned to pay attention and not drive when tired - so far 5 years driving without accident (apart from the brown pants that is).

Comment

I've got the IDS+ and have experienced the light back end, very un-nerving first time it happened as I've never had it before on any car and I've had bigger cars than the Astra.
            It doesn't bother me now that I know about it and its only happened twice under E-Stop braking avoiding bloody rabbits on B roads

Comment

Sounds like you should stop avoiding rabbits.....

Comment

Lol, as S3 VXR said even with ids+ still a bit scarey at 120 plus, got KW suspension now, suppose find out saturday how good this is on track .

johnny
                Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyvxr
                  Lol, as S3 VXR said even with ids+ still a bit scarey at 120 plus, got KW suspension now, suppose find out saturday how good this is on track .

johnny
                  We certainly will, do I keep IDS + or go for the KW adjustables ?

Comment

if you come round the esses and see me facing you, stick with ids, lol. :?
                    Arden Astra j , nav 600, afl, full leather, aero pack, power fold mirrors, infinity sound system.

Comment

It jsut makes the whole braking experience more fun

Comment

Working...
                      X