X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown turbo and probably oil in the cat

Hi all

The turbo blew on my '06 VXR in January and I had it replaced but Im pretty sure it sucked oil back into the cats. The buy who put the turbo in said he cleaned the cats but its still shuddering just as the turbo spools in and is worst in 3rd-6th.

My thing is Im short on cash and was wondering if it would be worth removing the precat to allow the turbo to get more air in. Also with the warm weather is the engine likely to overheat is the cats are partially blocked?

I have a stage 1 map from Thorney from 2006 as well.

I really dont have a clue about much of this so laugh away granny-question but any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
    Cheers

Any oil in the cats would burn off pretty quickly, I think you have some other problem. What do you mean by shuddering?

Comment

Maybe your cat has fell to pieces

Parts For Sale http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-bits-for-sale

Comment

Doubt it would be the cats . . As said they burn off quickly, it sounds more likley to be maybe a sensor that has got overly dirty? Something not connected properly like boost sensor?
        VXRED

Dap-r & wheels so far, plenty more to come!

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I had been driving it for about a month with it whistling like a siren before it eventually blew. The shuddering is like going over the markers on the verge of the motorway. Happens if I floor it in 3rd on onwards around about 2500rpm so thats what had me thinking it was the turbo spooling up quickly and not getting enough air. I suppose if eough oil got to the cats they could be shot and need replaced.

Comment

If the cats have fell to bits and blocking the exhaust that could be your prodblem to check take off and shack it to see if it rattles

But as said could be a number of things like sensors and stuff....all plugs are on arent they???

Parts For Sale http://www.vxronline.co.uk/forum/sho...-bits-for-sale

Comment

Yep, the plugs are all ok. The guy who fixed is a cousin so trusted to do a good job. He said he tried to clean the cats cause there was a load of oil in them. Not sure about the sensors so Ill ask him if he checked them and see what happens.

Comment

Check the map sensor right before the throttle body, the shuddering just as the turbo kicks in sounds very similar when the dealer spilt oil over mine and didnt clean it it off

Comment

You could also have an intercooler full of oil, it might be a good idea to take it out (both the inlet and the outlet are at the top on the original so whatever ends up in there, is likely to stay in there, and leave it upside down to drain. Cleaning is nigh on impossible though.

Seeing as its throwing a fit when the boost comes in, I think Phatashki could be on the money.

Comment

Working...
                  X