Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

opened the front grille for bit more air..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• opened the front grille for bit more air..

After seeing this on a few cars thought id give it a go.

at first i tryed with a stanley blade then a file, then a heatgun.
    all worked but wasnt quick and took some tidying up...

so out came the angle grinder with a linishing pad on.

took it to the rear of the grille and took about 2mm off the back and the plastic bits just fell out and left a perfect neat hole. took about 10 minutes including cleaning it off.

can see the cooler alot more now through the bumper and should get a bit more air through aswell.

told you would look alot better well smart jay

Comment

robbed your idea tom and adds. lol looks alot beter i like it. just got to get that nice forge cooler behind there now. lol thought i was going to be there all day untill the grinder came out. really neat aswell they just all pushed out, got a brush and scrubbed the plastic bits off left from the linisher.

Comment

a sharp knife was all you needed to do that lol but looks like you ended up with the desired result

Comment

crike jay, you were only talking about that yesterday, mind if your fitting intercoolers at stupid oclock this would be a walk in the park.lol.

Just out of interest do you have to take the bumper off to remove the grill???

Comment

I tryed with a knife but it seemed to take a while and had to keep getting it neat so after a few i gave up and the grinder took a few minutes.

I thought it get it done as im bit busy in the week got a mot inspection at work etc.

yes you have to take the bumper off, which takes a few minutes. 2 screws either side arch, few clips on the undertray, and remove the V grille. i didnt actualy take the grille off the bumper to do it though i just put the bumper face down on some old boot carpet that was lying around.

and i really wanted to get that intercooler on for the dyno but glad i didnt now in a way. lol could have had a extra few hours in bed but i made up for that today..

Comment

Sorry, what have you done? Am i missing summat in the pic?

Comment

How did you do it exactly? Looks good

Comment

now look back at my grille..

its holey, amen..

Comment

its for this reason i got an xp2 grille and fogs which are smooth...
                    ..... gone but not forgotten.....

Auto Repair:All mechanical and bodywork carried out,services and diagnostics.....

Comment

Originally posted by BIG J View Post
                      How did you do it exactly? Looks good
                      you remove the bumper.
                      i left the grille in place, you can remove it. but i left it in place it was easy to work on, i put the bumper face down on a bit of boot carpet at work lying around. first i tryed a few ways, stanley knife to cut the holes out, then a heatgun to make the plastic soft and push the bit plastic through. the heatgun worked the best but non were neat and needed tidying up after.

so i tryed another way
                      i got a angle grinder, changed the wheel/blade to a linishing/sanding pad. ran this over the rear of the grille where the plastic bits blocked the honeycomb holes off, because that bit of plastic is about 1 mm at the rear you just grind that much down and the bit of plastic just drops out with a little push and leaves a perfect neat hole. takes seconds for each one with the grinder makes a nice nice job too. just needs cleaning up after with a bit of soapy water to get the grinded plastic off bits off, they sort of stick to everything like static.

Comment

Yeah do it this way ^^^^ and not cut each one out individual like i did and waste 3 evenings

Comment

or get a sharp pointed knife and do it with the grille and bumper in place from the front, use a pair of long nose pliers to remove the scrap. 10 minute job

Comment

Originally posted by smokinvxr View Post
                            or get a sharp pointed knife and do it with the grille and bumper in place from the front, use a pair of long nose pliers to remove the scrap. 10 minute job
                            lol one by one? Just cut them out and pull the bits out?

Comment

Yeah good way,not for me tho my knife skills arnt the best and i gathered id end up buying new hoses after id cut through them

Comment

Working...
                              X