X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Problems With A Astra VXR!

Ok.. i've heard of some other forum that:

'if you spent 9k on one now in 12months time it will be a 6k car, they suffer from turbo problems as in 40k and they need a new one, they are prone to burning oil as in 1 lt to 1000miles is what vauxhall say is the normal'

'hear the gearboxs are quite weak, from vauxhall tech.

torque steer another issue'

Is there any other known problems with them that i need to look for before buying one

Yeah! the muscles in your face will ache, as you can't stop smiling!!
    sigpic
    THE GREEN HELL CLUB NURBURGRING 2010

Comment

As with all cars they will be probably be issues, as you are buying secondhand - yes there are issues with turbo's and gearboxes. On the gearbox they have been 3% replaced under warranty, not sure on the percentage of turbo. As for the oil this is the figure quoted in the manual but you will find it is no where near that figure.

The problem is that you only hear bad things, and not I went out today and no issues at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Sven L6VXR View Post
        Haha i hope it wont effect me later on in life lol

Comment

Originally posted by vr55vxr View Post
          As with all cars they will be probably be issues, as you are buying secondhand - yes they are issues with turbo's and gearboxes. On the gearbox they have been 3% replaced under warranty, not sure on the percentage of turbo. As for the oil this is the figure quoted in the manual but you will find it is no where near that figure.

The problem is that you only hear bad things, and not I went out today and no issues at all.
          Ok cheers mate just wonderin because some people can talk crap lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardioo View Post
            Ok.. i've heard of some other forum that:

'if you spent 9k on one now in 12months time it will be a 6k car, they suffer from turbo problems as in 40k and they need a new one, they are prone to burning oil as in 1 lt to 1000miles is what vauxhall say is the normal'

'hear the gearboxs are quite weak, from vauxhall tech.

torque steer another issue'

Is there any other known problems with them that i need to look for before buying one
            Turbos can last or die depends how you treat them whether you tune and stress them. Plenty of standard cars running original turbo. Plenty of older Astra G's running the original LET turbo still.

Burning oil, never seen that one rarely had to top up the oil level if at all? Considering you'd have to basically be replacing you're entire oil after 4-5k if that was true!

Gearboxes are **** lol

Torque steer pfft never noticed. Just hold on tighter.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbid View Post
              Turbos can last or die depends how you treat them whether you tune and stress them. Plenty of standard cars running original turbo. Plenty of older Astra G's running the original LET turbo still.

Burning oil, never seen that one rarely had to top up the oil level if at all? Considering you'd have to basically be replacing you're entire oil after 4-5k if that was true!

Gearboxes are **** lol

Torque steer pfft never noticed. Just hold on tighter.
              i like how you put it lol haha

Comment

never really seen one burn much oil.

as for torque steer, when i first brought it standard i did think it had alot of torque steer but you soon got used to it and isnt noticeable..
                now with 340ftlbs of torque i still dont notice as ive got used to it, as said hold the wheel tighter, but if somebody else gets in to drive it they would notice it as they arnt used to it.

when the turbo goes, thats a good chance to upgrade to a better turbo, gt28 bolt on regal kit or a aet stage 2 hybrid.

as for the gearbox, somebody has had theres repaired at as autocare, eds dealers, for around £350 all in. near bearings and jobs a good en! no more expensive vauxhall replacements at 1500+

so all the problems you are saying arnt really that big of a problem and all cars have issues, i had more issues with a vw golf which is supposed to have excelent build, the oil pump went at 40k, the rivets on the crown wheel in the diff went a few more miles after, and loads of other common probs. more than the vxr!

theres always another way to look at things when they go wrong, get the best out of it and upgrade, ive had no real problems with mine up to yet.

if your looking to buy one, id look for one with keyless entry, and AFL's plus any other extras you can get but these two options are brill.
                Last edited by jwfcms; 5 June 2011, 06:43 PM.

Comment

i brought one with 42,000 one owner full service history and total standerd it drives like its new! only problem i can pick is wen you puut the clutch down and put it into first i hear a knock sound only every so often :s but passed its mot and didnt find any obvious fault! any clue!!

Comment

Originally posted by jwfcms View Post
                    never really seen one burn much oil.

as for torque steer, when i first brought it standard i did think it had alot of torque steer but you soon got used to it and isnt noticeable..
                    now with 340ftlbs of torque i still dont notice as ive got used to it, as said hold the wheel tighter, but if somebody else gets in to drive it they would notice it as they arnt used to it.

when the turbo goes, thats a good chance to upgrade to a better turbo, gt28 bolt on regal kit or a aet stage 2 hybrid.

as for the gearbox, somebody has had theres repaired at as autocare, eds dealers, for around £350 all in. near bearings and jobs a good en! no more expensive vauxhall replacements at 1500+

so all the problems you are saying arnt really that big of a problem and all cars have issues, i had more issues with a vw golf which is supposed to have excelent build, the oil pump went at 40k, the rivets on the crown wheel in the diff went a few more miles after, and loads of other common probs. more than the vxr!

theres always another way to look at things when they go wrong, get the best out of it and upgrade, ive had no real problems with mine up to yet.

if your looking to buy one, id look for one with keyless entry, and AFL's plus any other extras you can get but these two options are brill.
                    whats AFL'S Mate?

Comment

Originally posted by bennyboi View Post
                      i brought one with 42,000 one owner full service history and total standerd it drives like its new! only problem i can pick is wen you puut the clutch down and put it into first i hear a knock sound only every so often :s but passed its mot and didnt find any obvious fault! any clue!!
                      mechanical stuff to do with gearboxes and engines doesnt come into the mot. MOT is a very basic safety check of the car, doesnt mean its mechanically sound in anyway and only means it was safe at the time of the test, also doesnt mean the car is 100% free of faults and will be ok for the next 12 months! not saying you see it like this but alot of people do . working in mots, you would be shocked at what people think. mot limits are alot less than service limits, its the bare minimum requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by Edwardioo View Post
                        whats AFL'S Mate?
                        adaptive forward lighting.

basically HIDs with projector lens which move when you corner and adapt to 7 different beam patterns depending on the road your on, day or night,self leveling etc.

they look nice and set the front end off with the nice white light.

Comment

Originally posted by jwfcms View Post
                          adaptive forward lighting.

basically HIDs with projector lens which move when you corner and adapt to 7 different beam patterns depending on the road your on, day or night,self leveling etc.

they look nice and set the front end off with the nice white light.
                          Cheers mate i'll have a look

Comment

Originally posted by Sven L6VXR View Post
                            hahahah great comment

Comment

like the smart man said..every car has problems WHEN YOU MOD IT !!! IMO to minimize your problems ( thats if you are going to mod a VXR ) stick to stage 2 and no more!
                              The more you find out what problems the car has the more your not going to buy a car EVER..

I knew nothing about the VXR , i jumped in it, drove it, and loved it, and i brought it.. so deal with the problems later like every car..

Comment

Working...
                              X