This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken Locking Wheel Nut Key

Ok so the other week the locking wheel nut key finally decided to snap on me. So no biggy I thought, will just go to Vauxhall and order the key. The key box had number 150 written on it so no probs we ordered key 150 and what came was a completely different key which was infact asymmetrical where mine are a star.

Now took the actual box to the dealer and they have no idea what key they need to order and my car pass doesn't list a locking wheel nut key neither.

So how can I identify this nut and get the correct key or remove them without causing damage to the alloy?

It is getting more urgent now as the tyres are starting to get to be at the legal limit.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

i had the exact same problem, i went to vauxhall and gave him the one wheel bolt i got off before it broke and he came out with a new one that fitted

i have taken all the locking wheel nuts off now tho cos i just now it will only hapen again!

corsa arctic edition #257
    now sold

REAR STRUT BAR FOR SALE!

Comment

I feel for you! We just had to weld bolts onto the lockers on a lads Volvo at work to get them off, the keys are made of sh it roll i think as they just break up! Sorry im no help but hope you get sorted

Comment

A decent tyre place/garage should be able to remove it without damaging the alloy if you need it gone that quickly. This has happened to two of my mates, one of which had such a small gap between the edge of the locking nut and the alloy that you couldn't even get a set of locking nut removers on. Garage got it off in 5 mins with no damage, was just a local tyre place and only cost a tenner i think it was. Not sure what they actually did mind as i wasn't there.

Failing that, had a look at these? http://www.screwfix.com/p/laser-emer...ver-4-pc/94826

Comment

Originally posted by deans arctic View Post
          i had the exact same problem, i went to vauxhall and gave him the one wheel bolt i got off before it broke and he came out with a new one that fitted

i have taken all the locking wheel nuts off now tho cos i just now it will only hapen again!
          Bad thing to advertise on a public forum pal!
          At least get to Halfords and buy some mcGard one's they are durable

Astra

Comment

i'm not bothered to be honest Ian

if someone wants to break in to the barracks where i live and can get past the armed guards they can have them

corsa arctic edition #257
            now sold

REAR STRUT BAR FOR SALE!

Comment

My local dealer looked through all there spares and couldnt find any that matched the key I gave them.

Independent bespoke mapping available see my Facebook or find me at WG Motorworks

Clique #14

Comment

Originally posted by deans arctic View Post
                i'm not bothered to be honest Ian

if someone wants to break in to the barracks where i live and can get past the armed guards they can have them
                There is that lol

Astra

Comment

Also another point is with using a socket or a nut remover tool is these locking nuts have a piece on the outside which just spins round it and prevents you from gripping it.

Clique #14

Comment

rich i got rid of mine had 2 sets which broke and i have always said they never sit right

Comment

I may well get rid of them, assuming I can get them out first lol

Clique #14

Comment

Had it before and a mate hammered them loose with a chisel then just un-screw them by hand after you've loosened them.
                        I see dumb people.......
                        .....they're everywhere
                        .....they walk around like everyone else
                        .....they don't even know they're dumb

Comment

do a search for dynamec and see if they can tell you where there is a local garage using their kit as they will remove them without damage to your wheel and also without damaging the locker.

Comment

Go to your vauxhall dealer and say you want to try everyone out of the used cars and you will find one that matches.

Comment

Time consuming but that assumes they'd let me do that lol

Clique #14

Comment

Working...
                              X